“Travel Zoo Break.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Chequers Hotel
England
“Travel Zoo Break.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Great short break.We arrived early and was not expecting room to be ready but it was,we we greeted by very welcoming receptionist who gave us good advice about the area.Our room was very nicely decorated and bathroom was good.We were on a deal which included 3course meal on first night.The food was very good but have to say I would have had steak but a surcharge of 10 pounds was ridiculous as the menu price was only a couple of pound more than the main that I chose,also there was a 5 pound surcharge on the scallops which on the menu were only a pound dearer than chosen starter!!!!! I felt breakfast choice was a little basic but ok,have had a lot better.The staff we encountered we all very pleasant.

Stayed August 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Gwent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Charming room with all the trimmings of a 4* hotel including a ceiling fan (invaluable during warm weather), modern ensuite bathroom with huge walkin shower and lovely fluffy white towels. Clean, very comfortable bed with pristine bedding. Excellent evening meal (one of the best steaks I have had in a very long time), desserts to die for. Staff couldn't do enough for you - but note to management - please get the dumb waiter repaired, we so felt sorry for waiting staff having to run up and down stairs with food. Hotel itself is very quirky and has been refurbished to a very high standard, convenient for visiting south lakes.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank AvrilmastWales
Darlington, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

We checked in late Sunday pm and were told that as they only did Sunday roast dinners on Sundays we couldn't have the 3 course a la carte meal until day 2. This didn't bother us too much but we chose to eat elsewhere 1st evening as we didn't particularly fancy a roast dinner. The room was clean but very dark and dingy as the window was very small for the size of room and we had to switch the ceiling, wall and standing lights on during the day to achieve some half-decent light in the room. The room had no telephone to contact reception and also felt slightly damp. Breakfasts were ok and the staff serving were friendly and helpful. On Monday we spent a lovely day on Lake Coniston and at the end of the day were looking forward to our 3 course a la carte meal. However, after perusing the a la carte menu that evening and anticipating a delicious meal, we were extremely disappointed to be told that there was a surcharge for the scallop starter, all 3 of the beef main dishes as well as the venison main dish. Also, the lamb had sold out. That left us with a choice of corn fed chicken, belly pork, fish and chips, sea bass and a vegetarian dish if we wanted to take advantage of our "free 3 course meal" (there were only 10 choices in total of main dishes). I complained that the choices left to us were very poor and if I didn't like fish and wasn't a vegetarian, I was in fact left with either corn fed chicken or belly pork! Hardly "a la carte"!! We complained that the Travel Zoo offer did not mention anything about surcharges on certain dishes but the waiter argued that the offer was for a 3 course meal "up to £26" and that some of the dishes on the menu would exceed that if chosen, which was true enough but still very misleading as we weren't to know what the individual dishes would cost when booking the break. My husband suggested that if he just had the rib eye steak and scallops and no dessert it would not exceed £26. The waiter went away to check if that could be done and returned to say that was ok. By this time I was feeling the opposite of relaxed and also embarrassed and annoyed that we were having this palaver with the menu! So my husband had 2 tiny scallops (which he said were nice) and a very nice rib eye steak. I chose a 3 course meal within the £26 limit (had the belly pork which offered me 3 fork-fulls of meat and the rest fat). My starter and dessert were ok. It must be said that the staff remained very polite and helpful throughout the evening. We also became aware of another couple apparently on the same Travel zoo break who were very annoyed at the unexpected surcharge and argued their point with the waiter and then asked for the manager who told them that if they did not pay the surcharge for the requested beef dishes, the chef would not cook them! All in all an extremely disappointing evening. On checking out the following day I did not expect to have to pay anything and was surprised (or maybe I shouldn't have been) when presented with a £10.50 surcharge for the rib eye steak. I stated that that hadn't been the agreement with the restaurant staff the previous evening and the receptionist immediately turned snooty and abruptly dismissed me with a brief "fine" and turned her back on me! We would definitely NOT recommend this hotel!!

Room Tip: Higher floors might have more light.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank EvaLeighton
Karla S, Owner at Chequers Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, we respect all reviews and are continuously making improvements within the Hotel to improve our guests overall experience.
We are disappointed that you were disappointed. However let me explain the economics of the Travel Zoo deal. The hotel only receives a fraction (circa 69% after fees) of the price, that (You) the customer pays to Travel Zoo. From this figure you are provided with: 2 nights’ double accommodation, two 3 course meals and a free bottle of wine on the second evening. We cannot possibly include “expensive to purchase” items, such as; King Scallops, Prime Local Steak and Venison Haunch, within this deal (OR rather we could, but we’d be out of business pronto!). When purchasing a meal you are buying the Chefs expertise and time, not just the ingredients.
We will look into the issue of limited meal choices, as ordinarily there are a further 12 or more specials of the day to choose from.
I hope this clarifies matters for you.

Kindest Regards
Managing Director
Karl Benn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We had a lovely couple of nights in this part of the lake district. The hotel is old and charming and comfortable.
We had an excellent 3 course dinner which was included in the price. I could not fault this meal. The staff were fantastic helpful and very friendly.
Would recommend it

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Anastasia1056
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

From the outside, this is a lovely looking hotel in a cracking location but sadly things were not quite so good inside. The staff were very friendly but not particularly organised, I paid on arrival and was asked to pay again on departure. To makes matters worse, when I questioned why my room was dearer than the price quoted on the chart in reception it was suggested that the chart was out of date and to get the best deal I should have gone to Travelzoo - that will teach me to book directly with the hotel! The room was very clean but small. Breakfast was good-when we eventually got served, nobody seemed to know which orders had been taken and which had not- and the bar was comfortable but not particularly welcoming. Our experience was not helped by the noise made by departing guests (boxing event first evening and warring guests leaving a wedding party on the second night) which made sleeping difficult. Overall this was an average hotel with the potential to be much more.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
Lincolnshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

We visited this hotel through a travelzoo deal and it was excellent value for money. The room was on the small side and I was a little disappointed when we opened the door. It was furnished by IKEA with a open unit for the wardrobe and it felt as if everything was done on the cheap. The deal included first evening three course meal was well prepared and well presented and very very good. The second night we got a free bottle of wine with our meal (had to pay for the second night). Again it was excellent. The first morning breakfast was brought to the table but the second morning it was a self service buffet. What they did for breakfast was very good, my issue is what they didn't do. No croissants or Danish pastry's. The staff were all friendly and efficient. The quality of the food was good enough for me to forget about the room and I would recommend this hotel..

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank LincolnshireRosie
Dumfries, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

This hotel looks great from the outside and the staff are generally helpful and friendly, but it had too many little niggles for me to want to return.
Bar area is rather bland. Not what you would expect from the outside.
Breakfast was disorganised as the guests didn't know what to do or where to go although the food was excellent.
Matt well in the room was broken and caused door to jam but the room was very clean.
Cant buy peanuts etc. with your drink - you have to go and use a machine outside the toilets.

Room Tip: Stay away from the court yard if you want a sunny room
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Frank W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dalton-in-Furness
Clarence House Country Hotel & Restaurant
Clarence House Country Hotel & R...
#2 of 2 in Dalton-in-Furness
The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel
The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel
#4 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
Premier Inn Barrow-In-Furness Hotel
Premier Inn Barrow-In-Furness Ho...
#2 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
Whitewater Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Chequers Hotel? Share your experiences!