“Bloody Rude Manager/Owner Karen Does not Honour voucher as purchased!”
Review of Chequers Hotel

Chequers Hotel
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Visited on 15th to 17th August for an anniversary break using a Travel Zoo voucher (copy attached).
The hotel looks good both outside & in with it being clean & well maintained. We were given room 1, which was very good, with the exception of the shower draining issue mentioned in Lynn B's review. Essentially as a wet room some of the floor tiles clearly angle the wrong way leaving a large puddle at the opposite end of the room by the sink, clearly this is a long standing issue that the management don't see as needing correction.
All the staff were polite & helpful if a little on edge (the reason for this becomes clear later)
This was for 2 nights with a 3 course evening meal 1 night from the Al a cart menu up to the value of £26. Upon visiting the restaurant we were given menus & it was explained that several dishes had surcharges, 1 starter had a £5 charge & 3 out of 8 mains had £10 surcharges (all steak & venison dishes). This was completely unexpected as the voucher made no reference to exclusions or limitations & these dishes were only £2 or £3 more than the rest of the choices. I asked about the surcharges & the staff member offered to fetch the someone to speak to about it, after a few minutes Karen (who I later found was the hotel manager/part owner/director/daughter of owner) came & stood over me without introduction and proceeded to talk to me in a condescending, rude & wholly unacceptable manner, despite my calmly asking why they where not honouring the offer as purchased?
I held the entire conversation in a quiet manner as not to try showing everyone up or trying to embarrass the staff in to accommodating me.
The response was to explain to me as if an idiot, that these items were far more expensive to purchase ( not £10 each more at wholesale last time I checked). Her response was that if she changed the decision for me that I would be the one being unfair to other diners (2 couples that I heard discussing the same surcharges between themselves). I pointed out that it was not me that put the offer on & the response was, "I am sick of this & it was the marketing departments fault & that was that".
We ate what we were allowed as there was no way after being spoken to like that I was going to pay them more money. I then found out that Karen was the manager etc, so should have been fully aware of what was being offered.
Given that the manager was fully prepared to treat customers with such contempt, it became clear why the staff seemed on edge.
In summary, good location ,great building good staff, disgraceful management customer service.

1  Thank Glynn P
There are newer reviews for Chequers Hotel

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Stayed here in Room 1 July 26/27th and had a lovely two day stay. The room was a lovely size, and we had a wet room for the shower. Unfortunately we did have problems with the water draining away and reported this to the Hotel Staff. The evening meal was fabulous and our family also came to join us. The first morning our breakfast was served to us which was lovely but the second morning it was a buffet and we found when we got there that a lot of the food had to be replenished and the one girl on duty was absolutely run off her feet trying to keep up with the demand especially running up and down the steps like she had to. This was the only downside to the stay and we wouldn't hesitate to stay there again, especially on the Travelzoo offer which we used.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lynn B
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We have just had our second night here and will be checking out in the morning.
We've had a lovely short break, friendly & attentive staff, great food, a very comfortable room and great value for money.
Cannot fault the food and drink offering. I wondered if Arthur, the Head Chef, was a celebrity chef that I hadn't heard of, if not he should be.
We've had a lovely Cumbrian welcome, and whilst this was a leisure trip, we've both been extensive business travellers to West Cumbria in the past and wish every experience had been like this.
Originally an old school, the place has recently undergone a total refurbishment wish I really liked. There were loads of sockets in our stylish room, ample for the needs of business travellers, along with free and reliable wifi.
Highly recommended - well done to the staff who made us so welcome. Thank you

3  Thank Andrew W
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My partner and I stayed here on Friday and Saturday night on the TravelZoo deal.
We stayed in Room 19 which was a decent size, clean and quiet.
The food in the restaurant was absolutely fantastic, so good that we ate here again on the second night.
Breakfast was also very good.
The only downside was that the Hotel caters for Wedding receptions and we were made to feel a bit of an inconvenience, after a 7.5 hour drive, arriving at 7.45 pm we were told due to serving the wedding guests we would have to have our evening meal at 8.00pm.
The Wedding reception was held in a different part of the building with its own entrance and bar although a few guests did come through to the Residents lounge to try to get their drinks served more quickly.
All of the staff were friendly and helpful and I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the main building, rooms in the annexe are opposite the room where the function...
2  Thank Sarah B
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The hotel was much better than we had anticipated with the discounted price. Room, communal areas, bar and restaurant were very clean and well maintained. Staff were very attentive and friendly, including the waitresses who had to use the stairs so many times. Ate in the restaurant both nights and meals were very good. Plenty of choice without incurring a surcharge. Drinks were at pub prices. Would be happy to go there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GeoffB2014
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Great short break.We arrived early and was not expecting room to be ready but it was,we we greeted by very welcoming receptionist who gave us good advice about the area.Our room was very nicely decorated and bathroom was good.We were on a deal which included 3course meal on first night.The food was very good but have to say I would have had steak but a surcharge of 10 pounds was ridiculous as the menu price was only a couple of pound more than the main that I chose,also there was a 5 pound surcharge on the scallops which on the menu were only a pound dearer than chosen starter!!!!! I felt breakfast choice was a little basic but ok,have had a lot better.The staff we encountered we all very pleasant.

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Charming room with all the trimmings of a 4* hotel including a ceiling fan (invaluable during warm weather), modern ensuite bathroom with huge walkin shower and lovely fluffy white towels. Clean, very comfortable bed with pristine bedding. Excellent evening meal (one of the best steaks I have had in a very long time), desserts to die for. Staff couldn't do enough for you - but note to management - please get the dumb waiter repaired, we so felt sorry for waiting staff having to run up and down stairs with food. Hotel itself is very quirky and has been refurbished to a very high standard, convenient for visiting south lakes.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank AvrilmastWales
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dalton-in-Furness
Clarence House Country Hotel & Restaurant
Clarence House Country Hotel & R...
#2 of 2 in Dalton-in-Furness
#5 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
The Furness Railway Hotel
The Furness Railway Hotel
#1 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness

Been to Chequers Hotel? Share your experiences!