“A pleasant conference hotel”

Clarence House Country Hotel & Restaurant
Leyland, United Kingdom
“A pleasant conference hotel”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Ive been here twice recently on all-day business meetings. On the first occasion 20 of us were accommodated in part of the dining room separated from diners and other guests by screens - not ideal if you want to keep your business to yourself! On the sec on occasion we were in the garden annex which is much more secluded.
Th grounds are beautifully kept and, subject to the weather, allow break out sessions to be conducted in lovely surroundings.
The delivery of refreshments was not always done to plan but the food (sandwiches, flans, samosas, chips, etc) was good. warm homemade biscuits mid-morning and scones, cream and jam in the afternoon kept the hunger pangs away allowing concentration on the business of the day.
Parking was tight so be one of the first delegates if you want a slot.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 7 August 2014

stayed 1 night here, everything was perfect, smooth....its fantastic small boutique hotel, cute rooms rather cozy if i should say....

breakfast spread is nice too, location of this house hotel is perfect...i loved my one night stay here and would definitely go back to this hotel if I'm vising barrow again....value for money hotel with fantastic bathrooms...try to take villa on ground floor so you have a massive garden at your door step...

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Clarencehsehotel, General Manager at Clarence House Country Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Good Afternoon

Thank you for your review.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Warwickshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I stayed here for 1 night for a large family gathering (over 20 of us). On arrival no rooms were ready (3pm) and so we were directed to the garden to have some tea and coffee. Gradually our extended family arrived over the next few hours to also be told their rooms were not ready. Only by 5:30pm were we able to access our rooms and freshen up after a 5 hour drive from the south of England.

Our room (4) was incredible. Four poster bed which was by far the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. My partner and I couldn't believe our luck really because of the 5 other rooms our family had booked, ours was the nicest (and the only one with a four poster bed).

The biggest problem throughout our stay was the level of service. The staff just didn't care. If you are sat in the garden you just won't get served, you've got to visit the bar and even then they are reluctant to bring anything down to the garden. Throughout our evening meal no one came round to top up our drinks or ask if we needed anything. This is disappointing for both us and the hotel as they could have easily made £100-£200 extra by being more attentive.

Possibly the most frustrating element of the stay was breakfast. 1 hour minimum wait for a full English. A full hour! My grandad had ordered toast and a boiled egg and had to wait 1hr 20 despite reminding the waiter several times. Checkout was suppose to be at 10am but breakfast too so long we ended up checking out at 11:30. It's no surprise in that sense that the rooms are never ready, everyone is still at breakfast.

I would stay here again because the family have been coming here for the last 20 years but it would be with real reluctance. The price tag of £130 is not good value for money. I spend £110 a night when I am near London Euston and £150 for a 5 star hotel in the Barbican. £130 for a 'country' hotel should have resulted in an exceptional experience and sadly this just wasn't the case.

Room Tip: Get room 4
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Mark H
Good Evening

I would like to apologise in regards to your recent visit to Clarence House.

The hotel had been hosts to an entire football squad who had booked all of the hotels bedrooms.
Unfortunately on check out, we were asked if the time could be put back by several hours, which caused the delay in servicing rooms for the arrival of new guests.

The issues you have raised regarding service at the hotel have been addressed and I can assure you that this will not happen in the future.

Guests are encouraged to make full use of the landscaped beautiful grounds that surround the hotel and full waiter service is provided.

I do hope you return to visit Clarence House with your family where the Restaurant and Bar staff will endeavor to be at your disposal and assist in helping you enjoy your stay at the hotel.

Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Had a wonderful day out with my family at The Clarence House this week. The food was absolutely fantastic and there is a great selection. The staff were incredibly pleasant and helpful and always topping up our fizzy! A lovely meal followed by a relaxing afternoon sat in their beautiful gardens! We always enjoy our visits here and will continue to do so.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank catherine214
Clarencehsehotel, General Manager at Clarence House Country Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 29 September 2014
Good Evening

Thank you for your recent review.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Dalton-in-Furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

On arrival it was obvious it was busy, we were seated in the bar area with our menu but where was the fizz!!!! Once we were shown to our seat in the dining room and told to help ourselves to the buffet , half way through eating my guest & I we're ask to stand to one side while they moved a settee over our table with our half eaten food, which knocked my bread roll over so it must of been very close to our food too!! During the whole time sat at our table not one waiter asked if we wanted a drink or cleared our plates away in fact we ate our sweet with our plates still sat at our table, we left and complained and went to the bar to get our own drinks!! I complained to the staff that this was the worse service I had ever had there!! The staff while making room for a party behind us seemed oblivious that we had plates stacking on our table and we felt that we were being ignored standards have totally slipped and when we settled our £50 bill no deductions where made for our disappointing visit!
A total flat not Friday for clarance house

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
17 Thank sassykas30
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I visited here as part of a family group to celebrate my mothers retirement. We have visited numerous times before and have usually had a great experience regarding both food and service, sadly this was not the case today! The main problem came down to poor service that started right from the offering of the complementary glass of "fizz". One member of the party, who does not drink alcohol, declined and received what could only be called a look of shock from the waiter. Two other members of the party were children aged 14 and 12 but no other complementary drink was offered and had to be requested.

We were then seated at our table which although room for a pram had been requested on booking none was available. We also had a child of 18 months in a high chair but no child's menu was offered and he was never referred to during service. We ended up feeding him from our plates on one of the side plates. The first course was soup which was very nice but aftwards it took a good 15 minutes for the table to be cleared. The waiter suggested we went up to the carvery despite us not yet having had our hors d'oeuvres course. We had our hors d'oeuvres, unfortunately my partner found a dead fly in his salmon, which we mentioned to the head waitress. Her response was slightly apologetic, but again it took a good 15 minutes for her to return to the table with a response to say there would be reduction in the bill.

When we were seated we had been notified that there were 3 meats available on the carvery, however when our party finally got to the carvery there was only a choice of beef and lamb as the other meat had run out! It should be noted that our lunch had been booked for 1:30 and they were serving till 5 so to run out and not have back up available seems ridiculous. The beef was very rare although they did take some into the kitchen to cook to personal taste. Yet again it took an extremely long time for our table to be cleared.

The sweet menu was given out but then we did not see a member of staff for quite a while. In the end my partner had to go and ask a waiter to take our order. By the time we ordered we were told that there was only one creme brûlée left, which when it came was more like a panna cotta! A few people ordered strawberry cheesecake which was definitely not a cheesecake, it was more a strawberry mousse on a biscuit base with a squirt of cream on top. Quite possibly they had run out of the proper cheesecake and had to concoct something to cover themselves till the end of service.

In the meantime my partner went to order a pint of peroni but not surprisingly this was yet another thing they had run out of so he had to have a bottled beer.

Throughout the service the staff seemed uninterested in the diners and there was no consistent member of staff to deal with our table. Only one member of staff smiled when serving and interacting with our group.

All of the above points were made to the person on reception when payment was being made. He was not apologetic and more than anything seemed to question our experience. He was quite defensive and dismissive stating that he had not received any other complaints. A small discount was grudgingly given. We left feeling disappointed and underwhelmed. In the past we have had a number of family get togethers here, including a christening last year, and it is usually the first place we think of when we want to have a "special" meal out. Indeed I had planned to organise another christening there this year and quite possibly a wedding in the near future but after our experience today I am very reluctant to return and will be looking elsewhere in the local area for any future family events.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
17 Thank Aaaghhh
Good Evening

I write in reference to the points you raised in your review of Clarence House.

The hotel has your details and will contact you directly.

Cumbria, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Well, the last time I went to this Hotel/Restaurant I complained about the under cooked Profiteroles (among over things) and was persuaded not to write a review here… however, once again, we have had a really bad service and the food was under whelming, so regardless I am here writing my first review. Yes I have threatened before, but with hindsight thought better of it, but not this time.

The problems and lack of courtesy started from the off. The look given to me by the waiter handing out the complementary sparkling wine (and we know the price of the wine is hidden in the bill) when I declined made me feel like I had to justify why I had turned it down; I simply don't drink. I, or the children with us were offered no alternative and had to ask for a drink on his return to tell us the table was ready. This was an inconvenience to the Staff.

We were seated at the table and asked if we were ready for the Hors d'oeuvre's, although the soup was the first course.

The soup arrived, it was OK, nothing that couldn't be created in your own home. The dishes stayed on the table for roughly fifteen minutes before being removed. The bread was minimal, at best.

After another fifteen minute wait we were asked if we would like to go to the Carvery for our main meal, although we hadn't had Hors d'oeuvre's. The Hors d'oeuvre was a rather pathetic array of mismatched stuff. Nothing was outstanding, nothing that could be construed as top notch. The fly that was found hiding in the salad had been swimming in the mayonnaise and this plate was rushed away, yes the price of that one plate was removed from the bill, but a better apology could have been better given.

Another fifteen minute wait before the rest of the plates were removed and another fifteen minutes before we were asked if we wanted desert. The fact we hadn't had the Carvery amused us greatly.

No white meat option. Beef or Lamb. No chance to apply your own gravy. A tray of potatoes and a mix of veg were neither inspiring or seasoned properly. And ANOTHER FIFTEEN MINUTE wait for the plates to be taken away.

Desert: Creme Brûlée was not. It didn't have a burnt sugar top and neither was it brûlée. It was more of a Pana Cotta, although we were informed that the Pana Cotta was indeed a Creme Brûlée. It wasn't spoken, but you could tell we were being told off for being slightly stupid.
There was only a single portion of this left, even though there were still several handfuls of people in the place.
The other deserts were OK, but I wouldn't pen a postcard to my Grandmother on the back of them.

Apart from Adam, the staff never smiled, passed the time of day or were truly polite. They were working on a Sunday and we had to know about it. One of them was openly complaining to another that they had a party booked in at 5.45 and he wanted to get home.

The arrogance of the Male Manager who took our payment is something you need a Pole Vaulting Pole to get over. "No one else has complained." I know from experience that people don't like complaining, they just don't go back, so it is not a valid excuse to dismiss ours.
The first person to smile (apart from Adam) was the Male Manager who smiled/smirked when I told him the Staff never smiled. He also dismissed this. One waiter can only be described as a Sour Faced Idiot (Trip Advisor won't let me write what I want.

The four course meal has taken three hours to get through.

There were so many small problems (many I have left out)… just check down the sides of the chairs you sit on, they haven't been cleaned for years. Bits of food, dust and general detritus live there. I'm sure the germs that are breeding there could do a better job of being polite, smiling waiters.

Mr Arrogance knocked off twenty quid of a £300 bill (including wine). Its a shame because they have now lost out on a full wedding booking.

The family have been to this venue a lot in the past, as we are locals, but I believe they are becoming complacent. They really need to up the quality of their fare. We won't be back for a long time.

After reading other reviews and especially those who question the negative ones, I don't care. This was OUR EXPERIENCE of a once nice place to eat, and if you have had a better experience then I am happy for you.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
22 Thank Steve P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dalton-in-Furness
Chequers Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crosthwaite
Newby Bridge Hotel
Newby Bridge Hotel
#4 of 5 in Newby Bridge

Been to Clarence House Country Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!