“Much better than the average zoo” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Safari Zoo

Safari Zoo
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Explore, Discover, Adventure, South Lakes Safari Zoo. From the Swahili word meaning journey or expedition SAFARI ZOO is a unique journey into the animal kingdom. Come face to face with and discover Rhinos, Lions, Tigers, Bears, Hippos, Wolves, Snow leopards, Jaguar, Giant otters, Primates, Vultures, Penguins and much, much more at the UK's most interactive animal park and Europe’s only Safari Zoo.. You’ll have a fantastic adventure immersed with some of the rarest wildest animals on the planet. HEAR. TOUCH. SMELL. SEE feed your senses and the animals too - Hand feed giraffes every day, walk in amongst and hand feed penguins; wander amongst and discover kangaroo, lemurs, monkeys, free flying birds – including (for the brave) vultures and condors all living wild in the park. Daily interactive animal keeper led talks and animal feedings.
Letchworth, United Kingdom
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 112 helpful votes
“Much better than the average zoo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

The animals have far more room to roam than in the average zoo, which is great to see. You really are able to get up close and personal with a number of the animals and they are all extremely friendly. Regarding the comments about the limited time spent at the zoo - if you spend time actually looking at the animals, reading the information and listening to the talks, it's quite easy to spend 3-4 hours at the park including lunch.

Visited April 2012

• Polish first
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

This is a place you keep coming back too so you can keep up to date with the changes new animals baby animals I used to go for taking photos of the animals and I have some great shots of them.They have a great shop and cafe also things going on for the children. I love it here and there is a web site you can check it out. In winter they have it lit up with coloured lights for xmas that you can see from the bypass.

Wirral, United Kingdom
93 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 151 helpful votes
“Small yet fascinating; quite hilly but worth the effort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

This is a great animal park with a mix of less often seen animals as well as the usual offering of big cats, monkeys, giraffe etc.
It is relatively small but that means it is manageable in a few hours and you don't miss any enclosures or have to decide what to see and what to miss.
The park is set on a hillside but taken at a leisurely pace, everywhere is still very accessible and should not cause any problems.
There is a fair sized dining area and whilst the choice of food was limited, what we had was very enjoyable and reasonably priced.
There is a park shop with a wide range of gifts and souvenirs to suit all pockets and even the more expensive items were very good value for money and very good quality.
The staff were very friendly, helpful and extremely knowledgeable although the car park was fairly chaotic and compact and might be an issue in the height of the season.
As a lover of all animals, this was one of the most enjoyable parks/zoos we have visited in the UK.

Reading, Berkshire
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great Day Out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

A little difficult to find, but well worth a trip.

Animals are a delight to see, and would recommend for photographers. I managed to get some amazing photos myself.

Lions, Tigers and Jaguars jumping up telegraph poles to get meat, is a real treat. Being there while it's happening is definitely a treat to the senses.

Hand feeding the Giraffes is fun as well. Make sure you have your camera ready to capture the moment.

The Lemars do come into the picnic area outside. I did not find this a problem, but if some do, then there's always inside, which is lovely as well.

Great day out and well worth the trip :)

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

We came here on the 30th March 2012 with our 4 children aged 9, 5, 3 and 18 months. They were free to get in because of the time of year and it cost £13.50 each for myself and my husband which we paid for with £30 of Tesco vouchers.
I have to say we were totally disappointed with our visit, we walked slow and had basically seen everything in half an hour, children were freaking out about the animals roaming around too close to them.
There were far too many 'DO NOT' signs, so much so that I was wondering if we were actually allowed to breathe! We were given food upon entry to feed the animals with but there were so many signs telling you NOT to feed them and the fact that monkeys were roaming about where the ducks where that we didn't dare try to feed anything incase the wrong animal picked it up and it got seen by a staff member and you subsequently (as the signs threaten) got thrown out for feeding animals you weren't supposed to. We ended up giving both bags of food unused to another family in the car park upon our exit.
Another issue was the electric fences being far too close to the wooden fences, my eldest son has autism and adhd and has a tendency to touch everything close to him so it's a miracle he didn't touch the fences, I felt like I had to be constantly on my guard with all of the children, more so than usual, because of this. I appreciate they need the electric fences but there definitely needs to be more distance with some of them, even if this does mean you're not as close to the animals then so be it, I'd rather that and my children be safe!
Was a little bit of hard work with a pushchair but not too bad, wouldn't recommend wheelchairs though, steep hills in places and a steep downhill to enter the park.
Plus point to our trip was that the animals were nice to look at and I enjoyed watching a big baboon trying to sit on a little stone and shifting himself because he couldn't get comfortable, made me laugh a bit.
All in all, I wouldn't recommend the park, far too small and expensive to get in considering it's only a half an hour long experience. I would say older people may enjoy this better than young children, did not see a park to play in or anything interesting for kids at all.
Car park not great either, very uneven, not much room to reverse out of parking spaces, was a good job that no one was parked directly behind us else we wouldn't have got out!
Can not judge the food as we didn't stay for lunch. Was glad we hadn't taken a picnic mind as all the signs warning about animals stealing the food was rather offputting!
It's a shame I've had to write such a negative review but I wanted to write it as we saw it, we have been to lots of zoos and parks and rarely am I left totally unimpressed.
I have read though that they may be expanding the park which I think will be a positive thing, it definitely needs something more!