“Refurbished upmarket hotel”
Review of Cley Hall Hotel

Cley Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 15 Spalding B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I stayed here October 2013 in Room 1 Executive Double. The room was well equipped, once I had found everything. The coffee/tea etc was in a cupboard. WiFi slow but did work. Breakfast is £10 but freshly cooked and very nice. I don't know about the annexe, but I would be happy to recommend the main building. You have to book via one of the well known booking agencies. The hotel's own website shows no rooms available, because they have outsourced it all.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank icehorsestud52
David S, Owner at Cley Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2014

Thank you for the excellent feedback. We have spent time, energy and effort improving what we have to offer and it is so pleasing when people tell us that we are achieving our goals. I am surprised at the charge for breakfast our rates are normally quoted inclusive perhaps you had a guest. With regards to Wi Fi we are hopeful that we will be able to offer the BT Infinity product some time during 2014 when it becomes available which should speed things up.
Best Regards David

There are newer reviews for Cley Hall Hotel

Reviewed 13 October 2013

I recently stayed here with hubby and his sister and her fiancée . On arrival we were told we had be upgraded and were now in the main hotel . The rooms were very well presented and clean and the hotel itself beautiful. The beds were comfortable and I had a great nights sleep. Breakfast was good and the choice was good. Only little niggles I had which is why it did not score perfectly were that the room needed little things sorted ie the curtains were not well ironed and the snagging in the bathroom was poor in places however I have stayed in higher stared hotel than this and this hotel by far outshone some of them, the last niggle was the miserable female staff that served us breakfast, a smile goes a long way !!! I would however return

Room Tip: Main hotel room
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for the feedback we are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit. Apologies for the miserable breakfast server. I have checked who was on and have asked the member of staff to go on an NVQ customer care training course with our local college in Boston we recently won small employer of the year so have good links with the college I am sure that can help this person in this area.
We hope to be able to welcome you back some time.
Best Regards
David

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Stargazeypie is quite right. Our room had damp patches in the walls, peeling paint, general feel of damp, painting of window frame never completed, several light-bulbs in need of replacement, towel rail in the bathroom loose, toilet seat very loosely anchored, the chipboard of the bath-facing beginning to swell from getting wet.
The young female staff generally tried to be helpful, though it would have been good to be told that the newspaper ordered had to be re-ordered for mornings two and three.
Sad to see such a pace going downhill.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank J Richard G

We are sorry about the issues you have had with the Annex. Whilst you were with us we were in the middle of rectifying these problems as we had issues with crumbling brick work which allowed moisture to penetrate. This work is now complete and we are in the process of ensuring the rooms are dried out in order that we can refurbish them which should be completed by March 2014.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

I didn't actually stay at the hotel and that's my gripe.....I attempted to book using the hotels online booking service (third party) went through the whole registering for an account, inputting credit card numbers drama. I selected an executive room for a week and requested to check in early the next day. On arrival at the hotel after a truly exhausting night shift and long drive the young lady looked a bit puzzled when I attempted to check in as I did not have a reservation!!!!

To cut a long and quite frankly boring story short, the booking agent website take the booking and then ring to find out if there are spaces available. I did however get a phone call from a rather rude youth from the booking service called Natasha at 17:35 on the day I was supposed to check into the hotel just to let me know there's no room at the inn.

Customer service is the easiest thing in the world to get right.

for this reason I wouldn't bother looking at this place again- and yes I know this will provoke a response from the hotel owner but I am the person who is now spending my money elsewhere

Room Tip: use the old fashion booking system where you pick up a telephone and ring to find out availablity
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Copta_Doctor
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I recently stayed at Cley Hall on business. When my client heard I was staying there they told me not to stay in the annex. Unfortunately that is where I had to stay as the main hotel was full. The annex is in the car park. Three cars were parked outside my bedroom window and my room lit up like a Christmas tree later that night after I had gone to sleep when they all left. Not to mention the general noise of three cars starting their engines and moving off. Then there was the scaffolding outside my room which, apart from being very unattractive didn't make me feel in the least bit secure. The room also smelt strongly of damp and the water the next morning was tepid and then ran cold. I ordered a newspaper for the morning which never turned up. I won't be turning up there again either.

Room Tip: The rooms in the main hotel are clearly better.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank stargazeypie
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Cley Hall is a gem of a country hotel, comfortable and friendly. Rooms are clean and tidy and well equipped, ( TV, tea & coffee, iron etc.) Beds clean and comfortable, we stayed two nights and slept extremely well.
Lounges, restaurant and breakfast room are all really nice spaces, very relaxing and if the weather is right the garden is a fab place to sit and chill.
The food in the restaurant is very and service are good but no main meal is under £14, full English breakfast is great but £10 and bar prices are a tad on the high side.
So if you want a quintessential English Country Hotel the Cley Hall ticks the boxes and has a great environment but not cheap

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
David S, Owner at Cley Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2013

Thank you for the positive review. All of our staff do try their best and it is pleasing to hear that the training in customer care is having a positive effect. We hope to welcome you back to Cley Hall at some time in the future.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

We arrived mid-afternoon after a long car journey and were greeted by a very friendly young girl who immediately advised us that as the hotel was quiet we had been upgraded. On showing us to our room, this turned out to be a large double room with delightful garden views. We enquired about afternoon tea & were offered tea & biscuits in the garden. We had a very relaxing 15 minute wait in the tranquil gardens until a full afternoon tea with finger sandwiches and morsels of cake was served. Sublime & incredible value. Our room was comfrtable, light & airy and tastefully decorated & furnished. We had full English breakfast the next morning from a very extenisve menu. It was perfectly cooked and nicely presented, Overall, this is a charming hotel, excellent value and with efficient, friendly staff.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TwoMusicians

Thank you for your recent review. I am really pleased that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. We have recently won an award for as Small Employer of the Year for our training and development of staff and I am so pleased to see that it is having the desired effect on our customer service. We hope that we can welcome you back in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Spalding
Travelodge Spalding Hotel
#2 of 15 in Spalding
Elloe Lodge
Elloe Lodge
#1 of 7 in Holbeach

Been to Cley Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!