“Sort out the parking PLEASE!!”
Review of The Red Lion Hotel

The Red Lion Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Spalding
Reviewed 3 December 2013

This is a perfectly OK pub and hotel. My room was clean, large, comfy bed, OK shower, nice and clean, big towels, tea making facilities, quiet at night ( it was a Sunday ) all the normal facilities. The surrounds and the carpets are a bit dark and dingy. Downstairs is a bit dark but the bar was warm and welcoming, the breakfast was fine and the staff were good. BUT -the parking!! It is in a car park accessed a bit away from the hotel behind HSBC bank. but to get there from the hotel is over a mile via the one way streets. To get in to the car park you have to go to the hotel to pick up a car park fob. BUT you cannot drive to the hotel. Its in a pedestrianized area with no access to cars. You cannot even park near the hotel to off load unless its after 4.00pm or Sunday. So its a complete nightmare to get to the hotel in order to pick up a car park fob when you cannot even park near the place. Surely getting a coded dial system on the car park would cut out all the bother. You could give guests the access code and bingo!! I'm afraid I found this such a put off I cancelled my next booking here.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank kootenaylass

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Lovely clean rooms, Very hot though only one small window to let fresh air in through, Night Staff was lovely their wasnt enough he could do to help, efficient check in very friendly,I think its a little bit overpriced for what it is, a room over a pub.... Breakfast was very nice again dining room very hot and stuffy, but once i asked for the air con to be switched on it was fine,Check out very early, for the money I think it should be a later check out,No shower which was a shock, So the bath had to be run both days twice in order for us to have a wash,Nice friendly Locals, Love the little market town,This Hotel/pub is situated right in the centre of the town,Lots of good shops, Parking not great, All in all though their was no problems......

Room Tip: Bridal Suite
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2013

In the middle of town. Everything else is a negative. For what it is, it is Vexpensive. The restaraunt is very dark and bleak and deterred me from even trying the food. Bar a bit better but the town has far nicer places to dwell.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We booked this hotel after deciding very late to attend a show at the spring fields centre. We would normally stay in the travel lodge at camel gate which has always fulfilled our needs. As we decided late in the day that we would attend we were forced to look further afield for accommodation. We looked at the reviews for numerous local accommodation and we relied on TripAdvisor reviews for this hotel.We were so disappointed that the reviews were miles away from our own experience. Agreed we understand that an old building has creaky floor boards but what
we did not expect is other guests would be up at 5.00 am and we could hear them moving about above us. Other reviews complained of noise from outside had we not been forced to open the windows to clear a stale cigarette smell from the bedding then maybe we would not have heard the noise, As it was we were kept awake half the night by noisy patrons and unruly locals. We searched for over an hour to ascertain the source of a loud humming noise that vibrated through the whole room we were unable to locate the source so unable to eradicate the problem. Our best guess was a local air conditioning unit but we could not pinpoint the noise. We were unable to use the shower as the unit was mouldy, dirty and the tiles were falling of the walls leaving sharp edges that could cause serious injury . We had no help from the owners on any of our problems and were disgusted that despite paying an over priced payment for this substandard accommodation no breakfast was included. I am at a loss to understand how this hotel has received any good reviews and can only believe that the people who have given positive reviews have lots to look forward to. Should anyone wish to view photos of the shower unit I do have photo evidence to back up my comments. I would recommend
that anyone who has had a good experience for a small guest house/ hotel give this place a wide berth. You will be disappointed.

Room Tip: Avoid this place. The parking is a nightmare. The standards are well below the minimum. The service...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank annthefool
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We didn’t stay here, but dropped in for a few pints. Interesting place, but if you enjoy good beer, ask them to draw it off straight from the cask, as it is chilled a few degrees in the pipes. Massive difference between a very good pint direct from the cask, and a mediocre on drawn at the bar. You have to pay a lot for the beer, so it should be served well at the right temperature (cellar temp - not fridge temps).

Other than that, great place.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

where to start....booked in here by a company for three days and was gutted. the room came straight out of the 1980s, dark, awful bed linen really is in need of updating. the room was clean but the bathroom had this awful fusty sort of smell, in all honesty dried urine! While I have nothing against smokers it really does not appeal to me to sleep in a place where people can smoke in their rooms fire hazard doesnt cut it and I fretted all night. the room was clean and the staff were more than accommodating even taking me to the car park which is horrendous to find, the breakfast was stunning, beautiful bacon cheery staff, its in a great location find the gurka oven for an evening meal it is simply the best
food you will ever eat. if this place refurbed and stopped smoking it is worth another visit but as it is, its not for me..........sorry guys, I also thought it was so overpriced, 60.00 a room, it was only 69 for the premier up the road at Peterborough, premier for me all the way.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Good welcome. No waterpressure in the showerOn the last night the barman served our drinks and the turned all the lights out and left us in the dark When I complained that we were resident he said "I told you it was last drinks." And it was and we will never return

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Spalding
Travelodge Spalding Hotel
10 mi away
Supreme Inns
Supreme Inns
#3 of 6 in Boston

Been to The Red Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!