“Reasonable compromise in Mauritius”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Gold Crest Hotel

Gold Crest Hotel
Gold Crest Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Quatre Bornes
Paris, France
“Reasonable compromise in Mauritius”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

Locally run and owned non-resort hotel; reasonable prices including breakfast. The staff is understated in typical Mauritian fashion but responsive. Not a western hotel so some western standards are not always met (older thin carpets, funky decoration, windows may rattle a little). Have stayed here many times and never had any health issues.

The location is good; next to a colorful market, not far from the 4-lane highway and Port Louis.

If you're in Mauritius for business or don't want to stay in the high-priced beach resorts, this is a reasonable compromise.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side are quieter. On the west they overlook the market, which is colorful but can...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Berlin, Deutschland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

The staff is very professional. I didn't give the hotel the maximum grade just because some details on some of the walls in my room, because my TV had seen better days (I came during the Eurocup and saw the matches after my long working days) and Internet could be faster and more reliable.

Apart from these small details, I would recommend this hotel for business visitors on a tight budget. I came with a party of 13 scholars and received a positive feedback on the hotel from their side.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

My credentials:
* Frequent business traveler. 200K+ miles last year total.
* Have stayed in everything from a simple Holiday Inn Express to a 5 star+ hotel in Kuwait and a luxury hotel in Buenos Aires where I had a personal butler.

When/Why:
* Arrived in Mauritius in early April 2012. Stayed at the Gold Crest based on the recommendation of one of the people I would be working with while there. He has no experience with business travel and picked a hotel based on its location and theoretical proximity to "nightlife".
* Stayed for 1 week of a 2 week trip then changed hotels after confirming with my boss/the customer that moving to a more expensive option was acceptable.

Things That Sucked Due to Timing

Ok, I get it - sometimes things will not be great at a hotel due to poor timing. The Gold Crest was doing some upkeep/renovation work while I was there. As a guest, this meant:
* Being woken up by the soothing sound of jackhammers as they tear up the hotel courtyard.
* The disruption and smell caused by the daily arrival of the giant sewer truck that sucks stagnant, fetid water out of the “ponds” in what remains of the courtyard.
* The presence of stagnant, fetid ponds in the courtyard.
* Being forced out of my room due to nausea from paint fumes as they repaint my floor.

Physical Things That Sucked About the Hotel:

These are not things that are going to get fixed any time soon without someone spending some major $$$ on this place and that isn't going to happen.
* Uncomfortable bed - mattress too hard.
* Random, disgusting smells as you walk through the corridors of the hotel. (I have traveled in Africa before and realize that you get to experience some "interesting" odors on occasion but these went beyond interesting and wandered into disgusting territory.)
* Bathroom design. The top 2/3 of the wall between the bathroom and the hallway is A WINDOW. If a person walking past your room so desired, they could simply stand on a chair and see everything going on inside your bathroom. (Or, if they had a little mirror on a pole...) Ladies traveling alone and families - avoid at all costs.
* Hotels wireless is slow and flaky. With the screamingly high speed Internet at Gold Crest, you too can enjoy watching a simple image file load line by line. Skype video chat with your family at home? Not a hope! Skype audio call with your family at home? Fine as long as you don't mind random dropouts and your wife sounding like Mr. Echo Robot. "Bzzzrt! I I love love you you too too dear dear! Krzzztssssssssss!" Beyond the poor bandwidth, connectivity would drop out regularly. In their defense, it would usually come back within 15-20 minutes. Do not expect to establish any kind of VPN connection with your corporate office while staying at the Gold Crest.

Things That Sucked Because of the Staff

I have traveled to every continent and experienced the entire gamut of service at a variety of hotels. Gold Crest hotel deserved a hearty congratulations for setting the bar so low that I feel like I should email the lousiest hotels I've stayed at previously and console them with a genuine "you're not the worst any more".
* Slow, slow service. And I do mean slow. I have learned during my travels that one can expect a certain amount of variation in the speed of service due to cultural differences in the perception of time. That's fine. The staff at Gold Crest have perfected "relaxed" service and turned it into "comatose" service. For example, asking for a refresh on my cup of coffee at breakfast and watching 3 staff members all stand around the coffee station discussing something for well over 5 minutes before I finally gave up and left. (The only acceptable reason for such a delay would have been making a fresh pot, which they clearly weren't.)
* Going down at 1:30am to renew my internet (expires after 24 hours) and there’s nobody at the desk – after a brief search I found the desk clerk asleep in front of the TV on the couch in the bar next to reception. If you say you cater to business travelers (you know, the type of people who probably have jet lag and will be up at odd hours), you might want to actually have staff on duty.
* Room service / house cleaning ignores old trays of food. You know how in most hotels, if you get room service then place the tray out in the hall when you're done it will usually be gone within a few hours, or worst case overnight? Not so at Gold Crest! Now, perhaps they were just being polite and leaving the old trays out in case I wanted to snack on leftovers that had been sitting out in 30C weather with 95% humidity, I don't know. Maybe they have some kind of policy that says they have to wait 3 days before a tray is truly considered "abandoned" and they clear it. Either way, if you're not hungry enough to finish what you ordered, you'll have plenty of chances to eat it later.
* The icing on the cake: at checkout I get the standard question about whether I drank anything from the minibar - yes, a couple of beers and a bottle of water. I guess it was just bad timing but I had to stand there for a half an hour waiting to check out because apparently there was nobody available to go up to my room and verify my claim. Except, that is, for the two other people at reception who as far as I could tell, were just standing/sitting around doing nothing. In all fairness, the woman checking me out tried to implore the other inactive woman to go up and take care of it, but it seemed to me there was some kind of office politics going on because she refused to help out.

The Restaurant

* If you like Indian food (and I do), then this is certainly an Indian restaurant to avoid. Nothing like ordering the "boneless" butter chicken and getting a huge chunk of bone in it. At least that one was obvious (to me, not to the chef) - it was the other smaller, sharp chunks of bone that were tricky to avoid that made eating this dish the adventure it was.
* Mauritius is a tropical island with a vast array of delicious, fresh fruit available on a daily basis. Unfortunately, none of it finds its way into the buffet at the Gold Crest. The apple slices served one morning tasted as if they had been sprayed with some sort of chemical. Hard to fathom when there is a daily market selling all sorts of fruit right next to the hotel.

In conclusion, I would recommend staying at the Gold Crest hotel if at some point in the past you have wronged me and I am seeking some sort of revenge against you.

Room Tip: The best way to ensure that you end up with a good room is not to stay here. I recommend the Hennes...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Geoffrey B

Travellers are raving about these Quatre Bornes hotels

Pretoria
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

This hotel was conveniently located near the office of the IOC but it is smelly, starting in the elevator, dirty, cockroaches are plentiful, restaurant is a no go zone. The hotel is just on the side of a nice market which probably attracts a lot of insect and animal action. Do not intend to visit any time soon.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Juan_in_Pretoria
mumbai
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

I travel to mauritius very often and my workplace is in quatre borne. This hotel is very near & thats most convinient for me.
Positives - Its in center of Mauritius. Everything from here is within 1 hr distance. Its very happening place and having lots of restaurants, markets, malls etc. Its very busy place in day time.You can get very cheap souvenirfrom the thursday & friday markets at Quatre Borne.The hotel is having nice restaurant serving good Indian food.
Negetive - Rooms are very small, with very little amenities. Its good for business stay and I donot recommend this for family. Nice for group of friends.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
New Delhi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

During my stay in Mauritius for four years, couple of years ago me and my family and friends had toured many hotels in Mauritius & Gold Crest is one of them.
We had spent a fine week end here in a big spacious elegant roadside facing room.
Location is excellent. Just next to Quatre Bornes main market where vegetable market is on Wednesday/Saturday & textile market on the following days.
Next to the hotel is the bus terminal.
Flic en Flac is just 20mins away & capital is around 25mins away drive.
Food is awesome but Gold Nest has a better taste!
I will recommend this hotel, its a value for money hotel.!
Bon Voyage

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank leisureBond
toronto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

We stayed there for 3 nights in June. Room was simple and clean. But the it was definitely worth the price. TV was tiny (13" or less). Food in a buffet area was ok, but the staff was so reluctant to serve, we decided to pay up and leave since half way through our breakfast staff disappeared for a while. I personally spoke with the manager at the buffet. He was apologetic, but I got a feeling that it's usual since he did not seem to take this seriously. This hotel has tell-tale sign of being a business class hotel. But I did not see it. I asked at the reception if all rooms have small 13" TV's. One guy nodded affirmatively, but his replacement on a later date told me that there were rooms with better facilities. She had no idea why we ended up there. At that stage we had one more night to spend. So we decided to move on. You can try your luck. But it's up to you.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
#4 of 4 in Port Louis
Hennessy Park Hotel
Hennessy Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ebene

Been to Gold Crest Hotel? Share your experiences!