We-Ko-Pa Resort & Conference Center
Centerstone Plaza Hotel(Fountain Hills)(Great Value!)
US$63
Comfort Inn Fountain Hills - Scottsdale(Fountain Hills)(Great Value!)
US$71
US$58
ComfortInn
CopperWynd Resort & Club(Fountain Hills)(Great Value!)
US$155
US$124
Inn at Eagle Mountain(Fountain Hills)(Great Value!)
US$127
TownePlace Suites
US$208
US$193
  • Pool
All reviewsfountain hillsscottsdale areawild horsespool areasleep numbergolf coursejunior suitegreat poolon site restaurantmain restaurantplay golfmountain viewgift shopbeautiful propertystayed longerfire pitfort mcdowell casino
Reviewed 8 June 2009

I stayed for a conference. I live in Phoenix, so I'm comparing this to similar hotels in the area. The hotel was nice, but plain.

The lobby was nice, but rather unimpressive and not very inviting. The pool was nothing special, but it did have some nice touches - they provided free water noodles (floaties) for the children to play with, and there were plenty of shaded areas which is a big bonus. Also there was a spray pad for children to play, which is a plus if you bring small kids. However, the pool itself was rather boring, especially compared to others nearby that have zero depth entries (for little kids), lazy rivers and water slides. They had a movie night in the pool one night, which was neat, however, if you plan to go to bed early and your room is near the pool, it's kind of loud. It ended at a reasonable time, though.

The rooms were very average, but on one side of the hotel they have a beautiful mountain view. They were clean, nice, but no real outstanding qualities at all. They do have sleep number beds, but I was not offered one the first night, and my bed was extremely hard and uncomfortable. I changed rooms and had a sleep number bed the second night, which was better. Still, it's one of the least comfortable beds I've slept in at a hotel. Maybe it was the pillow size or bedding, I don't know. The tv cabinet doors didn't recess, which was odd, so if you had them open to watch tv, they blocked part of the room and you couldn't also sit at the desk, so you had to constantly open and close the cabinet doors for when you did and didn't want to watch tv. There was supposed to be a robe in the room - my first room had one, my second room didn't. There is supposedly a complimentary bottle of water, but there were no signs saying it was complimentary, so I didn't use it for fear of being charged for it. The room was clean, but there was leftover food in my fridge, and I found a spider crawling in the tub, which wasn't a huge deal, but obviously not preferred.

The bathroom was decent, nice tile and granite, but kind of small. You have to close the bathroom door to exit the shower. There was one little cheap stand in the corner, but it was very unstable, so I was afraid to put anything on it. The water pressure was really good. The towels were ok, and they had bathsheets (bigger than normal towels) which was nice.

The staff were very nice in assisting me with changing rooms. However, they did ask for a rush on cleaning the new room, and it still wasn't ready for a few hours, which wasn't much of a rush. Overall, though, the staff were very friendly and accomodating.

The conference area was very comfortable, but absolutely freezing! That may have been intentional, but it was really cold. The catered food was very good, but not great. The selection was excellent, though.

The business center was useful, the free internet was nice, there were at least four terminals, which was great. The workout room was average. Convenient access to parking was a plus. If you don't smoke, you really don't want to set foot in the casino, it's overwhelming - I wouldn't even go in there to get to the restaurants, it was so bad.

Overall it was a decent hotel, but nothing special. It was very nice for a conference, but is definitely not a destination resort. There are so many incredible resorts in the Phoenix area, I would not consider this one among them. Depending on the price, though, it may be a good deal.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 May 2009

Radisson Fort McDowell (11 May to 15 May)

REMOTE is the first thing I think about this hotel.

However, chances are you’ll have a vehicle so this should be no problem. In fact, because it is so off the beaten track it is very peaceful. I favoured this over a busy, city hotel.

I found this hotel very good value but could not understand the need for the $10 resort fee? However, this would not put me off staying again.

The hotel itself is very modern and clean. The check in staff were very friendly, helpful and welcoming. We were allowed to check in very early too!

The room was excellent. It reminded us of a typical Las Vegas style room. It was also very modern and clean. The bed was some fancy “sleep number” system, where you can alter the firmness of the bed, electronically/pneumatically. It was very comfy! The room we had a pool view and was on floor 4 of 5. The only down side of our room was neighbour noise.

The pool area was great. Two nice size pools and 2 Jacuzzis. Lots of seating, and sun loungers, were always available. The whole area was very spacious. There were only a handful of people in the pool area during our stay – which was nice.

There is a casino on site which was always very smoky. (We are not casino fans!) There is a buffet in the casino – which looked pretty poor! However, there was a little café in there, which was brilliant for breakfasts and the coffee was lovely. Would recommend this café for quality, service and value for money – great!

There is a small town, Fountain Hills, about 2 miles down the road for basic restaurants , shops, a Starbucks, a Target, etc. One fantastic place to eat was “Redendo’s”. This Italian restaurant was a gem of a find. It is only small but has a great reputation, offers excellent food and was great value.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2009

I went to there for a work conference. The hotel was pretty nice, clean and had a good feel to it. It was in the middle of nowhere. I would not stay there if you are planning on spending most of your time in Scottsdale. The food was pretty good, but not a lot to choose from, I think there is only one restaurant at the hotel but a few in the casino. The pool looked very nice, but it was too cold to go swimming. Casino was fun but very very smokey.
I am not sure if I would go back there unless for a work function but I did have a good time while out there.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 March 2009

We stayed here during Spring Break to check out a few Spring Training baseball games. We booked via Priceline.com and bid $80, total including taxes/fees was $92.95.

The hotel is nice and comfortable, there is a casino onsite which is the only nightlife you will find for at least 20 miles. The kids enjoyed the pool, it was heated. We didn't eat at the hotel however there are few restaurants about 10 min away which are kid friendly. Nothing fancy.

There is nothing spectacular about the hotel...good value.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 February 2009

It is important to note that the property is fairly remote; however, as any regular visitor to the Greater Phoenix area will tell you -- you need to rent a car just about anyplace you stay. Once you get past this fact, you will likely find that the Radisson Fort McDowell Resort & Casino is a pretty impressive property.

The exterior and interior are designed to complement its stunning natural desert surroundings. There is wonderful use of natural building materials (stone and wood) throughout.

I stayed in a Junior Suite but there was very little "Junior" about it. The space was extremely large with separate bedroom and living space (complete with a kitchenette). all the fixtures were top quality and well-maintained.

The outdoor pool (heated when I was there) and two whirlpools are very nice. I also took advantage of the casino that is just a short one-minute walk from the hotel. First time guest of the hotel receive $10 to use at the casino when registering for the Fort McDowell Casino players club.

I had a tasty breakfast one morning at the Ahnala Mesquite Room. Many of the menu items include ingredients grown locally at the Fort McDowell Yavapai Farm.

There is a spa, fitness center and golf course but I did not use any of these facilities.

I was at the property for two nights.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business