“Great Hospitality” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 17 Pontorson B&B and Inns
Singapore
“Great Hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

If you are thinking of visiting Mont St Michel and the neighbouring towns like Dinan, St Malo, Cancale, you can't go wrong staying in this humble abode. Let me start with the hosts, both Tomoko san and Damien are gracious and accommodating people. You will always feel welcome and never imposing. We stayed in a room for 3 and it was spacious, clean and very comfortable. It is exactly what you see in photos posted in their website.

The little touches were nice as well, like bathrobes, quality towels and toiletries. Breakfast was great in a very homely atmosphere. Most of all, you get great hospitality. On the 3rd day, we had to leave at 5.30am for a 7am train ride from Rennes (about an hour away). Tomoko san was so gracious that she packed breakfast for us and got up early to help see us off. If you are thinking of exploring the region, this is a B&B I would highly recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank yeemin
Tomoko-Damien, オーナー at Villa Mons, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Thank you very much for the very kind and warm comment, Chong-San!! We are very glad to know that you and your family could enjoy here. And we hope that we could see you again someday! Thank you again and have a lovely day!!

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

I stayed here for a few days whilst on holiday from New Zealand & the experience was outstanding from beginning to end.
The hosts were really friendly & put up with my various requests with the utmost charm. They happily produced rail & ferry timetables which made the ongoing travelling very easy.
Room spacious clean & very comfortable. Breakfast really good & plentiful.
Pontorson is an interesting town very handy for all the local sites: Dinan St Malo & especially Le Mont St. Michel which is only 10 mins by car or a leisurely 40 minute cycle.
I would very happily stay again & totally recommend.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank John P
Tomoko-Damien, Propriétaire at Villa Mons, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Thanks Mister Poppe for that very kind review.

All the best,

Warm regards,

Damien
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

You will arrive to a very friendly welcome as you are presented with your own comfy slippers to help you relax and preserve the decor. We stayed in a lovely spacious double room, beautifully decorated with exposed oak beams. Tomoko was a perfect host, she couldn't do enough for you, very friendly and very gentle. I would highly recommend this guest house.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MrMathewKing
Tomoko-Damien, Propriétaire at Villa Mons, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Once again : Happy birthday Mathew ! and thank you for that so cute comment.
Say hello to your wife who has a so gentle smile.

Tomoko & Damien
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

We spent three nights at this lovely B&B and would recommend it to anyone visiting Mont Saint Michel and the surrounding area. Tomoko and Damien have a lovely house in the center of little Pontorson that they have lovingly restored and renovated. Everything is immaculate and fresh. Our room, on the first (French first, but actually second floor for Americans) was sunny and well-appointed with a large comfortable bed, a cushy oversized chair, extra seating, flat screen TV and plenty of electrical outlets. There was space to open and reorganize our luggage. We loved the spacious bathroom with a roomy, glass-doored tiled shower. The layout is excellent. The toilet is in it's own little closet for privacy with easy and immediate access to the sink. Two people can easily use the bathroom without bumping into one another. We especially appreciated the shelving that allowed us to easy store toiletry bags etc. Ikea bathrobes, shampoo, shower gel, hairdryer were provided. Tomoko cleaned our room daily, making the bed, providing fresh towels (and wash mitts!) toiletries, candy, bottled water. Breakfast was excellent: a variety of freshly-baked breads, croissants, yogurt, French toast, Damien's homemade jams, Breton salted and unsalted butter, fresh fruit, fresh juice, excellent coffee or tea, and a different homemade cake or treat every morning! Tomoko's Japanese cheesecake was something new and delightful for both of us, very light and tasty. We felt free to come and go but received assistance as we needed it. There was a lovely flower garden in back, a surprise in a city location and a nice place to relax. Despite its location overlooking a city street, our room was very quiet and peaceful. We never had a problem parking on the street in front of the house and restaurants, banks, stores were only steps away. My husband has terrible knees and was able to handle the spiral stairway, but it could pose a difficulty for some individuals. (Damien will help you with your luggage.) This is a very nice hardworking family (with an adorable baby son) who will go out of their way to make your stay comfortable.

Room Tip: I understand that the room on the second French floor is even larger. Damian is also working to add...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pajamaval
Tomoko-Damien, Propriétaire at Villa Mons, responded to this review, 26 October 2013
Thank you a lot for your very kind comment Valentina. We hope you found your lost cat on your way back ! Say hello to George :)
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

I highly recommend Villa Mons as an excellent gateway for your visit to Mont Saint Michel and the Normandy beaches. As others have said, Tomoko and Damien are top notch innkeepers. They are wonderfully friendly and professional, and will do all they can to make your stay what you want it to be.

My room was the 3rd door on the right at the top of the first flight of stairs. It was large, spacious, comfortable and quiet, spotlessly clean, and has excellent privacy shutters which really block out the light. There were also plenty of outlets to recharge camera batteries and phone. It was very warm the night I was there, and I requested a fan. By the time I returned from a short walk around the town, Tomoko had placed the fan in my room.

Tomoko and Damien also have a little dog (Brigitte), and she is just as delightful! Never made a sound, but I noticed her walking around when I checked in. I was missing my dog at home, and they let her come out to say hello. I was tempted to take her home with me as I left. :)

Tomoko and Damien provided all the tourist assistance I needed to really enjoy Mont Saint Michel, and breakfast the next morning was filling and delicious. As I left after checking out, Tomoko gave me a small bag with my breakfast items I had not been able to finish. This made a great snack on my drive later that day!

There are several hotels and shops at Mont Saint Michel, but staying in Pontorson is a much better choice to escape the crowds. The drive to Mont Saint Michel is quick and easy. Villa Mons is right in the center of Pontorson, just steps from the post office, interesting 12th century village church, and high street of shops where you can quickly get food, Mont Saint Michel post cards and souvenirs, or whatever else you need. The street where Villa Mons is located is peaceful and quiet at night, with plenty of free parking all around.

I hope to visit Mont Saint Michel again one day, and will not hesitate to stay at Villa Mons upon my return.

Merci beaucoup Tomoko et Damien. A bientôt!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank UsaTravelinfool
Thank you a lot Todd for your long, gentle and detailed advice.
Kiss/hug for Cooper !
Kind regards,
Tomoko
SINGAPORE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

VILLA MONS is a great place. The Tomoko and Damien are even greater host. Their thoughtfulness and friendliness made our trip special. This is a place where you get Japanese hospitality and European architecture. It is one of those place that I would say YES, I will return again when I am in Pontorson again...

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank SUSAN L
Tomoko-Damien, Propriétaire at Villa Mons, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Thank you Susan san for your so kind comment about our BnB. We hope we can see you again one day ! Say hello to Chiang san ! :)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

My husband & I only stayed one night to visit the nearby Mont St Michel, and we wished we had stayed longer! The room was very cute (simple & modern), spotlessly clean, spacious, and comfortable--much better than a couple of places that we stayed at during our trip through France. I'm especially particular about bathrooms and our bathroom had double sinks, a walk-in shower and cute skylight, as well as being sparkling clean.

And we can't say enough about Tomoko and Damien! They were very accommodating, gracious, sweet, helpful, super cute--again, we can't say enough. We happened to be in town during a public holiday so transportation was difficult to find (we traveled by rail here) and Damien ended up having to give us several rides to & from Mont St Michel--he was a life saver! And Tomoko's breakfast? Yum!!!

We plan on returning to France again in a couple of years and can't wait to stay here again. This time, it will be a longer stay. [And don't worry, Damien, we will rent a car this time. You've already done enough chauffeuring for us. :) ] Very Highly Recommended!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Tomoko-Damien, Propriétaire at Villa Mons, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Thank you so, Ha & Damon ! I remember your little adventure with the cab driver. I felt so sorry about that !
Tomoko and I, we hope that your honneymoon was great and romantic as you deserved it (so cute couple). It'll be a real pleasure if we see you in a couple of years for a honneymoon strikes back in Villa Mons ! Kisses,
Damien.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pontorson
BEST WESTERN Hotel Montgomery
#2 of 16 in Mont-Saint-Michel
Hotel Le Mouton Blanc
Hotel Le Mouton Blanc
#11 of 16 in Mont-Saint-Michel

Been to Villa Mons? Share your experiences!