“Holiday with coach tour”

Best Western Moore Place Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Aspley Guise
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Holiday with coach tour”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I spent 5 days based at the Best Western Moore Place Hotel with Ellen Smith coach tour from 8th to 12th June. I had already read some of the reviews (which were'nt good) on Trip Advisor and decided to reserve judgement until my stay. Food was very good with a excellent choice. Chief even did a totally alternative choice for friend which wasnt on menu as she couldn't have anything on menu due to medical problems. Room was very nice No: 23. Maybe a little more draw space would be better especially if staying a week. Two women in one room not enough draws. Lounge very nicely arranged with a seating area outside - this came in very handy as we couldn't have wished for better weather. Took a 1/2 hr walk into Aspley Guisley and bought myself some lovely tops from little boutique - lady very friendly. Best Western Moore is used by many business people who came in during week. If you are going for a few days to Bedfordshire and want a base to stay while you tour I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I stayed in No:23 quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Redditch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

14/15 June 2014.
My son and his wife got married here in 2008 and we had such a good experience we were delighted to have a chance to return whilst going to my grand daughters first birthday nearby. This time we were staying in Aspley Lodge where the room was smaller but sufficient. Booking in was easy and the staff polite and efficient. There was a wedding on and we reminisced fondly of my son's wedding.

We returned later in the evening and had a few drinks sat on the terrace ...nice. But it seems I left my camera ( a recent birthday present) hanging on the back of my chair. I did not realise this until arriving back at my sons house the next morning to find it wasnt left there. I phoned the hotel and was told some kind sole had handed the camera and case matching the description of mine into reception. Great I was going to get my camera back!
BUT......the receptionist had then handed the camera to a member of the wedding party who claimed it was their sons. The wedding party had left but the hotel was able to contact them.
Eventually, they managed to get hold of the party and someone returned the camera....great I had got my precious camera back.
BUT on picking it up, it transpired the people who had taken it had Malice Aforethought as they had wiped off the SD card removing the very precious photos of my granddaughters first birthday....photos I will never get back. Thank you very much!!! What a low life you are.
I expressed disappointment that the hotel had handed over the camera without first checking the person could identify what was in the case to prove ownership. Very poor standards.very little apology was given and no sympathy/empathy......very poor.

Aside from this, there was a problem with the water in the hotel resulting in no hot water. Guests were not contacted and it was only on checking out we knew of the problem at which point the unhelpful receptionist merely said we could use another room...too late we were already dressed. Again no empathy or sympathy or solution....even a discount would have been welcome gesture or a free breakfast, but nothing.

Moore Place, you have left us with a bad experience which could have been avoided by following a sensible protocol in respect of lost goods, this has resulted in memories being lost forever. You could have helped guests by informing (note through the door) of the water problems.
We will not be returning which is a shame after the lovely experience a few years ago.
Please sort out some lost property protocol, you could have even offered to express some views to the people who took the camera about the act of removing the photos.

Room Tip: Avoid Aspley Lodge as the extractor fan starts early in the morning and is very loud
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dave B
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed at the hotel for the purpose of a wedding (not at the hotel). We have two kids aged 23 months and 4 and we were looking for somewhere comfortable with space for them. We booked for two night in a family room. The room we were allocated was brilliant, lovely and big with loads of room for the kids to play and settle in. We were on the ground floor and had french doors with a small enclosed balcony so that we could get some fresh air and look out over the court yard. The bathroom was really big with a big corner bath and two shower heads - there was also two sinks. The duck and the boat also made the bathtime a little more fun :-) The bed was also massive and comfortable.

We didn't eat at the hotel or use any other facilities as we had committments elsewhere with the wedding we were attending but from our perspective we had a brilliant stay and would definitely book again should we need a hotel in this area. The kids were comfortable and relaxed which was our main criteria for the stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I have thought long and hard about writing this review following the awful experience we had after hosting our wedding at Moore Place Hotel in April this year. After making a formal complaint with the hotel and providing them the opportunity to attempt to redeem themselves, this has unfortunately not yet happened. I feel strongly that I should warn others of the terrible experience we suffered at his hotel and would advise anyone who is thinking of booking Moore Place to consider other options. I apologise to anyone reading this who may have already made a booking for their wedding and can only advise that they are completely explicit with the hotel management and the running details and their expectations for the day.

I will not list every single failing of the hotel as I fear that the review would be never ending, I shall instead summarise the main failings of the hotel. The first point would be the pure lack of organisation and time keeping skills displayed by staff at the hotel. I can honestly say it was as though the hotel hadn't even remembered our wedding was taking place, when my hair dresser arrived and said she was here for the wedding she was told "it was yesterday", it really was like being at Faulty Towers!! We were told it would take two hours for the hotel staff to change the room around for our wedding breakfast and we provided clear instructions as to the table layouts etc and were assured this would all be taken care of. However when the time came for our guests to be seated it became quite apparent how incompetent the hotel was. None of the table had been laid and eight of my wedding guests then did this for us instead. Our wedding breakfast was then served over an hour late and guests were left sat waiting at tables - very upsetting and embarrassing for my husband and I. This then meant that our evening guests arrived whilst we were still eating and we were unable to greet them.

Having met with the events coordinator two weeks prior and completed a function sheet it was quite evident that the duty manager on the day did not even have a copy of this. As we were welcomed into the room we were being asked for the names of those making speeches - utterly ridiculous! Our sweet buffet was not set up as requested and again we relied on wedding guests doing this for us, our wedding cakes went 'missing' for some time and our honeymoon suite was not even cleaned from the night before until at 7.30pm we realised this and requested someone sort it out! The only positive thing that I should note is that the food was lovely and after the wait my guests experienced we were extremely thankful for that!

Since experiencing this disgusting and unacceptable service on our wedding day we have made a formal complaint to the hotel. This does not appear to be a priority to the hotel and I have had to send a number of emails chasing up responses.... so the stress and the wait to resolve this complaint goes on.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Donna P
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We come back time and time again to this lovely little hotel tucked away in the countryside. The staff are helpful, the rooms are lovely and the express check out is so handy. The cottage style rooms are so quaint and having Woburn and the Woods on the door step make it a perfect place to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Harrogate, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed here as we were going to a party locally so the convenience of location was the sole reason for booking a one night stay here. I got a discount for paying before arrival but beware the central booking system for Best Western means the operative doesn't have knowledge of the hotel. I booked a king bed and got a double, so not happy. The room was clean though. The kettle was broken which was annoying. No bottled water but some whiskey instead! Check in was straightforward but very dated and unprofessional. The hotel was full due to a wedding and it was apparent that there wear no where near enough. The reception staff doubled as bar tenders at the same time. The hotel lobby is grubby, and lacks maintenance. Breakfast was horrendous. We arrived towards the end at 9.30 and all the tables were piled with dirty crockery etc so we were directed to the last table at the end of the room. The cooked breakfast was a buffet which had all run out but the girl proceeded to attempt to top it all up by running solo backwards and forwards from the kitchen. She even had to go back to find plates. The fresh fruit was definitely tinned. One waiter told us whilst rolling his eyes that they were very short staffed and couldn't do poached eggs just whatever was on the buffet. We couldn't wait to get out!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AudreyHepburn2010
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I arrived on Monday 12 May for a 4 night stay and on first impression felt hopeful. The room was clean and fairly well set out if rather small. As it had been a long day I chose to eat in the restaurant, my order was taken promptly and each course was delivered to table quickly. The first course of baked mushrooms was ok, the main of chicken was drowned in a dressing/sauce that was prety much luke warm cream with no other flavour, whilst on a cold plate. The desert was a chocolate tart, that frankly had a VERY low chocolate/cocoa content, to the point where I wouldn't have called it chocolate, at least the Chantilly Cream had (a little) vanilla flavour.
I ate in the restaurant again on Wednesday, and settled on 2 courses. The main of pumpkin ravioli would have been good had it not been utterly drowned by a cream 'sauce' with a few small cubes of vegetables in it. The cream absolutely masked the flavour of the ravioli, meaning that what could have been very tasty was not good. The desert of 'apple and alcohol soaked raisin crumble' sounded good, on arrival it was presented on a piece of slate with a scoop of ice cream and small jug of custard. The custard was only luke warm to a finger stuck into it, the crumble looked like it had a topping of sawdust with blitzed nuts mixed in. The topping had the texture and flavour of sawdust and it took some courage to get past this to the fruit which actually tasted nice.

The real let down came at breakfast on Thursday - previously the breakfast had been good all be it in keep warm tins. The first mushroom that I started to eat felt 'grassy' to my palate, on spitting it out there was fibreous matted with it, that I can only describe as appearing to be the growing media for mushrooms. Most of the other mushrooms had similar matter, making it obvious that they had not been cleaned before cooking.

For those in any doubt, mushrooms are traditionally grown in the sweeping from the floor of a stable... This is not what I expect to have served at breakfast.

The quality of sleep achieved was very poor as my room was facing out onto the main road through Aspley Guise, and had a modern very bright street lamp directly outside the window. The ammount of light coming through and around the curtains made it possible to read in the room with the lights off and curtains closed.

Following the breakfast on Thursday I saw a notice at reception to say that the car would be closed for the next 4 days - I asked and was told that I should park at the 'pub over the road' which is the Anchor. When I parked at the pub, I looked in to check that this was OK, and they had not been asked by the hotel if their car park could be used. They didn't appear to mind as I had asked, but if I hadn't? My welcome at the Anchor was very friendly, with decent cask beer and tasty simple food.

Room Tip: Don't accept a room overlooking the main road.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Hallmark Hotel Flitwick Manor
Hilton Milton Keynes
Hilton Milton Keynes
#16 of 34 in Milton Keynes
Woughton House - MGallery by Sofitel (was Mercure Parkside House)
Holiday Inn Express Milton Keynes

Been to Best Western Moore Place Hotel? Share your experiences!