“Okay for a stopover”

Best Western Moore Place Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Aspley Guise
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We used this hotel for a stopover, having landed early evening at Heathrow and planning to drive to Yorkshire the next morning. It's a lovely looking hotel in a pleasant old village which is, however, on a fairly busy road.

The staff were very welcoming, and most helpful in managing to rustle me up a sandwich even though the kitchen had just closed.

We had a standard double room booked. It was tiny, though quite comfortable, and the bathroom was clean and functional. And the breakfast was excellent. For a hundred pounds in the UK nowadays, I guess that's not too bad.

Sometime after midnight there was a lot of noise -- I assume a party had returned from a function somewhere. Kids yelling and adults talking for some time in loud voices. I suspect this happens frequently here, having read some of the other reviews.

It did the job we booked it for, though I would be hard pushed to recommend it for a longer stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank venividivice
There are newer reviews for Best Western Moore Place Hotel

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here on the same night and the previous night as the reviewer of 'worst hotel experience'. we were served by the same waiting staff who were very kind and very helpful. To be honest I felt sorry for the staff that night as the group in question were loud lousy lager drinking louts who were very needy, demanding and rude and when they weren't moaning about beer and food were too busy trying to chat and flirt with the 'young staff'.
The previous evening my husband had requested a pint of Stella but it was off and therefore had becks instead but this had run out the following evening. I guess those who wanted Stella all reverted to becks! It was no big deal as the hotel had several alternatives which were offered. As for the food they turned into restaurant mid way through dinner service, the restaurant had been busy from the start. Constant moaning about not having their preferred food, moaning about their favourite beer. Perhaps groups like these are more suited to a beefeater than a restaurant such as Moore place.
Our room was beautiful clean and very well presented, the staff a very help and in our experience went above and beyond the call of duty. These people work hard at their jobs as most hotel staff in any hotel do and I think these lousy yobs who think its acceptable to write damming reviews should be held accountable with their firms who have probably booked them into the establishment with all expenses paid. That review was totally unjustified

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Arrived late afternoon, we were a party of 18 and had pre booked this a while ago. Firstly had to change my room as it overlooked the entrance which meant anybody walking in or out looks directly into your room window, absolutely no privacy. It also had the kitchen fan right outside the window humming loudly all night. Then visited the bar which had two lagers on tap, one had already run out as we arrived, the hotel knew we were staying so why hadn't they pre ordered the lager? The second lager run out within two hours which then meant no lagers on draft by 7pm! What bar runs out before everyone has arrived? We were then told can you not all eat together as it's too much for the chef?? We were also asked could you pre order what food you would like to make it easier for the chef later, at the time we were trying to help out the hotel but as the evening went on things got worse! I thought a hotel is supposed to be accomodating and making their guests feel welcome and if they can do anything for you they will, not the other way round? The remainder of our party were then ushered into the restaurant, some got served straight away, but we had to wait at least another 20 minutes before we were even acknowledged, no, sorry to keep you waiting or can I get you a drink etc. Eventually we were asked what we would like, now I thought by pre ordering that meant they would know what we would like? No it meant when we pre ordered that meant nothing, we all ordered a steak which earlier was T-bone or sirloin but when we tried to order we were told "sorry we have run out of all steaks"??? We then reluctantly ordered the pork medallions which was supposed to be served with POTATOES and veg. When it arrived we all asked where's the potatoes and was told they are underneath, I had one new POTATO cut in half and was the size of a grape?? So basically the hotel had run out of lager and food in the space of 3 hours!! I have to say the lady behind the bar was friendly, professional and a credit to the hotel, also was the young waitress but the hotel Management needs some serious looking at!! Whoever deals with organising the food and beverages and arranging enough staff to be able to cope with the hotel numbers in the kitchen needs to wake up and realise if you have guests arriving then make sure you have what they require!! There were many empty tables in the restaurant so to try and say we were really busy is a total cop out, just very poor organisational skills. We all make mistakes but that was a joke!! I can honestly say, I have stayed all over the world in various hotels and never been to a hotel that was so poorly organised!! You would have to pay me to stay there again!!!

• Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank Priceyh
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Met colleagues here for business meeting

We sat in the orangery at the back of the hotel

I ate a chicken sandwich and fries

There was a bit of huffing and puffing over the chips as the waiter thought the chef might have gone home (really?)

The chicken sandwich had mayo - no garnish and the accompanying salad had no dressing

The chips, ironically, were good!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I spent 5 days based at the Best Western Moore Place Hotel with Ellen Smith coach tour from 8th to 12th June. I had already read some of the reviews (which were'nt good) on Trip Advisor and decided to reserve judgement until my stay. Food was very good with a excellent choice. Chief even did a totally alternative choice for friend which wasnt on menu as she couldn't have anything on menu due to medical problems. Room was very nice No: 23. Maybe a little more draw space would be better especially if staying a week. Two women in one room not enough draws. Lounge very nicely arranged with a seating area outside - this came in very handy as we couldn't have wished for better weather. Took a 1/2 hr walk into Aspley Guisley and bought myself some lovely tops from little boutique - lady very friendly. Best Western Moore is used by many business people who came in during week. If you are going for a few days to Bedfordshire and want a base to stay while you tour I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I stayed in No:23 quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 June 2014

14/15 June 2014.
My son and his wife got married here in 2008 and we had such a good experience we were delighted to have a chance to return whilst going to my grand daughters first birthday nearby. This time we were staying in Aspley Lodge where the room was smaller but sufficient. Booking in was easy and the staff polite and efficient. There was a wedding on and we reminisced fondly of my son's wedding.

We returned later in the evening and had a few drinks sat on the terrace ...nice. But it seems I left my camera ( a recent birthday present) hanging on the back of my chair. I did not realise this until arriving back at my sons house the next morning to find it wasnt left there. I phoned the hotel and was told some kind sole had handed the camera and case matching the description of mine into reception. Great I was going to get my camera back!
BUT......the receptionist had then handed the camera to a member of the wedding party who claimed it was their sons. The wedding party had left but the hotel was able to contact them.
Eventually, they managed to get hold of the party and someone returned the camera....great I had got my precious camera back.
BUT on picking it up, it transpired the people who had taken it had Malice Aforethought as they had wiped off the SD card removing the very precious photos of my granddaughters first birthday....photos I will never get back. Thank you very much!!! What a low life you are.
I expressed disappointment that the hotel had handed over the camera without first checking the person could identify what was in the case to prove ownership. Very poor standards.very little apology was given and no sympathy/empathy......very poor.

Aside from this, there was a problem with the water in the hotel resulting in no hot water. Guests were not contacted and it was only on checking out we knew of the problem at which point the unhelpful receptionist merely said we could use another room...too late we were already dressed. Again no empathy or sympathy or solution....even a discount would have been welcome gesture or a free breakfast, but nothing.

Moore Place, you have left us with a bad experience which could have been avoided by following a sensible protocol in respect of lost goods, this has resulted in memories being lost forever. You could have helped guests by informing (note through the door) of the water problems.
We will not be returning which is a shame after the lovely experience a few years ago.
Please sort out some lost property protocol, you could have even offered to express some views to the people who took the camera about the act of removing the photos.

Room Tip: Avoid Aspley Lodge as the extractor fan starts early in the morning and is very loud
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
#15 of 35 in Milton Keynes
The Bell Hotel & Inn
The Bell Hotel & Inn
#3 of 3 in Woburn

Been to Best Western Moore Place Hotel? Share your experiences!