Best Western Moore Place Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Hilton Milton Keynes(Milton Keynes)
  • Restaurant
Mitchell Hall(Cranfield)
View Hotel
All reviewsmilton keynesmain buildingwoburn sandslovely villagesleigh bedwedding breakfastpretty villagefour posterpleasant hotelwedding venuean enjoyable stayquiet locationwoburn safari parkthe ground floorchecking outstayed for one nightindian restaurant
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My husband and myself have just returned from 2 nights staying at this awful hotel. We stayed here as we were attending a wedding nearby, along with a lot of other guests. When we arrived on Friday afternoon there was no one on reception and after waiting 10 minutes we went in search of someone in the bar who came to book us in. There was a funeral wake that afternoon and it was very busy, but very few staff to cope. The queue for the bar was out the door. Later that evening we sat in the courtyard with every table completely full of empty glasses, hence the absence of any clean ones for a drink.We had to ask someone to clear the tables.
Both mornings there was no cooked food when we came down for breakfast, we had to wait for it to be cooked. No juice or glasses. This morning there were a lot of our wedding party. Again, no cooked food, no bowls for cereals, no juice. No one was clearing the tables. When the food did appear, there were no plates or cutlery. Some of our party never did get any breakfast. One was told when they complained ' we didn't expect you all to come for breakfast'
No apologies, only 'it's not my fault'
To be fair our room was ok. This was far from the case for some of the others though.
I would definitely not recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank jacky a
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Firstly I'd like to say that the wedding was beautiful and it is such a shame that it was ruined by the errors made by the hotel.

Being a bridesmaid you expect your best friends wedding day to be perfect and relaxing for all. Well it wasn't...... I must say it felt like the venue didn't even know the wedding was taking place.

There was no organisation, it was understaffed, wine was forgotten to be ordered, rooms from the night before weren't cleaned (including the bride and grooms wedding suite) the tables weren't set up making us an hour and thirty minutes late to eat and service was shocking. All in all I wouldn't recommend anyone to get married here.

The hotel have not recognised these errors made and have managed to put blame onto guests who tried helping on the day. I feel this is disgusting and will not be revisiting.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Keelymalia
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed here to attend a wedding a mile away so picked it for convenience. I booked it through Superbreak as I got a reasonable price (£110 for a double room). The room was ok if a little small. Seemed to be an issue with the plumbing (room 55). In the morning I ran the cold tap in the bathroom so I could have a drink but the tap just pumped out blisteringly hot water, despite me letting it run for ages. The toilet had not been properly cleaned as well. Small issues, no big deal, but frankly you'd be less likely to find these sorts of issues in a Premier Inn and you'd likely pay less for the room. So, Best Western, from a business point of view, they matter. Breakfast was ok but underwhelming. Scrambled eggs appeared to be the "bought in" variety as opposed to freshly made. Stodgy and watery. Baked beans looked very sorry for themselves, gloopy and thick. The hot food buffet had run out of plates so I had to find a member of staff to point this out to them. Some of the items were running very low (I had the last of the scrambled egg and the guy behind me went without). It felt like nobody was really 'owning' the area. Staff seemed pleasant and helpful...maybe there's just not enough of them? When it came to check out this was the worst aspect of my visit. Having booked and pre-paid through Superbreak I was expecting this to be very quick and easy. It ended up taking me 20 minutes. The guys on reception said that they had not received payment from Superbreak, cast doubt over whether I had actually been charged by Superbreak and then said casually that I'd have to pay (again). What awful customer service practice. The customer focused approach would be to firstly apologise for the inconvenience and delay as there was clearly what should have appeared to be an admin error (i.e not my fault). At no point did I receive anything resembling an apology. They should have then used their initiative to call Superbreak and resolve the matter - a quick check to see that they had received payment from me and then make arrangements for Superbreak to pay Moore Place. Never happened. Instead, I had to trudge back to my car, unearth my pre-payment voucher and then go on to the internet on my phone to access my credit card statement to prove that I had been charged. Er, hello, I'm the paying customer! Although lacking in basic customer service initiative the guys on from desk seemed friendly enough. They were also having to deal with another customer who was being overcharged due to an admin error (I'm detecting a theme here) and who also had not had a shower due to a plumbing issue (oh, I'm detecting another theme here). I'd name them but I'm not able to because they we're not wearing name badges, no doubt in contravention of Best Western brand standards. The area behind reception was a tip - bits of staff uniform hanging up etc. The whole experience just felt very downmarket, like a scruffy B&B. Not what I would expect from an international hotel chain. Anyway I eventually proved my 'innocence' and was allowed to go, no apology for delay or anything. It was my intention for me not to air all this dirty laundry on Tripadvisor and to email them directly with my feedback, so as to give them a right of reply. However their website has no clear and easy way of providing feedback, just an link to a 'business' email address. Yes, maybe this speaks volumes. Premier Inn for me next time, must do better Best Western.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stu_G79
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We used this hotel for a stopover, having landed early evening at Heathrow and planning to drive to Yorkshire the next morning. It's a lovely looking hotel in a pleasant old village which is, however, on a fairly busy road.

The staff were very welcoming, and most helpful in managing to rustle me up a sandwich even though the kitchen had just closed.

We had a standard double room booked. It was tiny, though quite comfortable, and the bathroom was clean and functional. And the breakfast was excellent. For a hundred pounds in the UK nowadays, I guess that's not too bad.

Sometime after midnight there was a lot of noise -- I assume a party had returned from a function somewhere. Kids yelling and adults talking for some time in loud voices. I suspect this happens frequently here, having read some of the other reviews.

It did the job we booked it for, though I would be hard pushed to recommend it for a longer stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank venividivice
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here on the same night and the previous night as the reviewer of 'worst hotel experience'. we were served by the same waiting staff who were very kind and very helpful. To be honest I felt sorry for the staff that night as the group in question were loud lousy lager drinking louts who were very needy, demanding and rude and when they weren't moaning about beer and food were too busy trying to chat and flirt with the 'young staff'.
The previous evening my husband had requested a pint of Stella but it was off and therefore had becks instead but this had run out the following evening. I guess those who wanted Stella all reverted to becks! It was no big deal as the hotel had several alternatives which were offered. As for the food they turned into restaurant mid way through dinner service, the restaurant had been busy from the start. Constant moaning about not having their preferred food, moaning about their favourite beer. Perhaps groups like these are more suited to a beefeater than a restaurant such as Moore place.
Our room was beautiful clean and very well presented, the staff a very help and in our experience went above and beyond the call of duty. These people work hard at their jobs as most hotel staff in any hotel do and I think these lousy yobs who think its acceptable to write damming reviews should be held accountable with their firms who have probably booked them into the establishment with all expenses paid. That review was totally unjustified

• Stayed: July 2014