“Excellent Stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Little Horwood
Cheshunt, United Kingdom
“Excellent Stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here this weekend on a groupon deal.. Have to admit I was a bit worried as the reviews have been a bit hit and miss but what can I say! From check in to check out every single thing we did was excellent. Yes it is a trek to your bedrooms, ours was in the right hand side of the hotel but it was part if the fun the twisting and turning trying to find yr room! The room was ok. Everything in there we needed maybe apart from the mini fridge! Bed was massive! No noise what so ever from other guests late at night. The bar man working on Saturday afternoon was very nice and chatty and hubby had footy banter with him. Yes was £5 for a pint but nearly that in London so up to you if you buy it or not. The lady who checked us in on Saturday and she was the only one working Sunday was really chatty. Asked her about NYE nights abc very informative thank you. The 2 course main meal we had with the deal was delicious and the breakfast was really fresh and tasty. The last in charge of the breakfast was very nice and we chatted for a while asking about the area and she was so helpful, thank you again. The gardens this hotel is set in is beautiful! Wisteria hanging over the back of the hotel in full bloom now, stunning! All in all I'd go back in a heartbeat! Fantastic hotel staff so a great weekend was had by me and my husband.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Toyah1
GMHorwoodHouse, General Manager at De Vere Horwood Estate, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Toyah1

Thank you for your review of Horwood House, I am so pleased your stay with us was an excellent one and you had a very enjoyable weekend break.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Chris Steadman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

We had our wedding here at the end of March and it was the most perfect day ever. I know everyone says that about their wedding day but I can honestly say that the staff at horwood house were absolutely amazing, they made the whole experience stress free and smooth running. Right from the moment of booking the wedding all the way through to the day itself and the day after everything was perfect. The wedding coordinators do everything they can do plan your day and organise it to be your perfect day. The food when we did the menu tasting, and on the day was amazing, I have to say we were really impressed.
The night before the wedding I stayed with my bridesmaids and a few friends and from unloading all our wedding 'stuff' to organising breakfast in our room the next morning the staff were more than helpful every step of the way. I stayed in one of the bridal suites and it was absolutely perfect for 'bridal preparation'. Plenty of space for everyone to have hair and makeup done and getting ready and for the occasional visitor to pop in.
Anyway as you can probably tell the whole thing was amazing. I think the only possible downside was the sheer number of rooms in the hotel side of the venue meant that some people found it a little difficult to find their way back to their rooms, but hey I think that added to the adventure of the day!!
I thoroughly recommend this as a wedding venue, beautiful setting, stunning gardens, amazing staff and just an altogether brilliant venue.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Erica A
Erica A

Congratulations on your recent wedding.
Thank you submitting your review of Horwood House, I am delighted your whole experience from planning to the actual day was stress free and the team ensured your special day was smooth running.
I am pleased you would highly recommend Horwood House as a wedding venue and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future, perhaps for your 1st wedding anniversary.

Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

Booked this for a treat for my parents and had a great time. Reception staff at check in were informative and welcoming. We had courtyard bedrooms that were lovely and quiet and felt more like being in a cottage then a hotel room. We had the dinner bed and breakfast package and all the meals were fantastic and excellent staff in the restaurant. Most enjoyable weekend.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 17Dee
17Dee

Thank you taking the time to submit your review of Horwood House. I am delighted you had such an enjoyable stay with us.
We hope to welcome you back to Horwood House for a return visit.

Surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We were slightly nervous reading recent reviews, but we were pleasantly surprised during our weekend stay at Horwood. It is a large conference hotel with two wedding parties staying at the same time, but the menu, food, service and staff were all very efficient and friendly. As a base for discovering the area Horwood is very good value - Bletchley, Waddesdon, Claydon all nearby.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tekels
Tekels

Thank you for submitting a review of Horwood House. I am delighted you had a pleasant stay with us and the team were very effiencient and friendly. I agree the hotel is a great base for local attractions and I am pleased you were able to enjoy everything on offer.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Horwood House in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Was staying here overnight for some work training. The main house is lovely but you won't be staying there. The majority of the rooms are in another modern Travelodge style building attached to Horwood House. Lovely gardens surround the hotel which is nice.

Had an average evening meal. Triple cooked chips certainly weren't, straight out the freezer into the fryer. The food seemed expensive for what it was and I live in London.

This place has great potential but need to up its game.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Peter P

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of Horwood House.
The hotel has been extended to house the 185 bedrooms available to guests and the Manor house is utilized as our centre piece. Our guest suites are situated in the Manor house as is the Manor lounge and bar.
It is very rare for us to receive negative comments with regards to the Tempus restaurant and I am disappointed your experience did not match the high standard the hotel has built its reputation on.

Travellers are raving about these Little Horwood hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

This hotel was outstanding as you drove up the magnificent drive. Unfortunately that was where the good experience ended
The first room we were allocated was disgusting, stains everywhere and peeling wallpaper, as was the next room. We were given the chance to stay in one of the suites, just as bad and in one the shower curtain was draped over the broken rail. A superior room was slightly better, but spoilt by the incessant noise from the heating system. As a last resort we stayed in a smaller room, but the bathroom mirror and TV screen ere covered in mites.
The service and prices in the bar were unbelievable. Our meal order was not processed and meant an overall wait of about an hour. When it did arrive the meat was undercooked.
The hotel did give us a bottle of wine free and a free drink and did not charge for the meal, however I would have gladly given it all up for a clean comfortable room
All in all a terrible experience, such a disappointment for what should be a first class location based on the first outer impression of the site.

Room Tip: None available
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Eric O
Eric O

I am very sorry your recent visit to Horwood House did not meet your expectations. I would be happy to discuss the points you have raised, please contact me directly at the hotel at your convenience.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Myself and my partner stayed here the first week of April 2014. It's was an offer that group on had so we jumped at the chance! Pulling onto the grounds were beautiful the building itself were amazing, we love stately homes especially if we can grab a bargain. Walked into the reception and was greeted warmly by a lovely member of staff, she explained where everything was and booked us a table for dinner and then guided us to find our room. We had a long walk to find our room found it with aid of a map walked into the room and we was disappointed the room was very small and seemed to exaggerate and noise from the hall way and other rooms but it was nicely decorated despite it being small and a lumpy bed. The bathroom was fab lots of hot water and very clean, the pool area was fab we really did enjoy the swim but disappointed the jacuzzi wasn't working. We then went down for dinner we was greeted by a lovely young chap who was chatty and caring, ordered our dinner from a young waitress who I think forgot we was there and didn't bring any bread just our starters when another member of staff picked up on and apologised. The meal was (I'm sorry) pub grub standard. We then walked around the grounds, they made up for dinner such a beautiful building but I think the extension lets it down. Thank you for a lovey stay I'm in two minds to come back and give it another chance but I would defiantly need to stay in the building not the extension. I was proposed too down the drive by moonlight so it will always have a special place in our hearts.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TheSmurffs
GMHorwoodHouse, General Manager at De Vere Horwood Estate, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
The Smurffs

Thank you for your review of Horwood House and congratulations on your engagement.
I am delighted you enjoyed a lovely stay with us and we hope to welcome you back in the near future, perhaps on your wedding day.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Little Horwood
Five Arrows Hotel
Five Arrows Hotel
#1 of 2 in Waddesdon
BEST WESTERN Buckingham Hotel

Been to De Vere Horwood Estate? Share your experiences!