“This is a conference centre with rooms, not a romantic getaway.”

De Vere Horwood Estate
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Little Horwood
Reviewed 12 July 2014

The amazingness stops once you have your room key and exit reception. The rabbit warrens you go through to eventually find your room are confusing and misleading. Then you enter your room to find it no bigger than a rabbit hutch.
Only 1bathrobe and pair of slippers, AND only 1 towel. Either room setup incorrectly or they are cutting corners(our room was booked for two)
No air/temp controls in room, just a window that opens to a 45degree angle.
After spending the night conciously trying not to move so my partner had space the light in the morning continued to create a terrible nights sleep. (Only way to get small amount of air into room is to have the blind open) Walls are paper thin too.
Room was clean on quick inspection, though stain on duvet and decorative pillow werent winners nor the markings dried on the bathroom floor from a dirty mop.
I have not even made it to breakfast yet, as i feel nothing will change/save my feelings of this place.
There is no value for money, feel very much out of pocket, and duped by clever marketing.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank sarah1083
Write a ReviewReviews (1,461)

995 - 1,001 of 1,461 reviews

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Hotel it self looks nice. Room very basic but clean. The stay was for my husbands birthday and I was doing some charity work. We checked receptionist said we were getting an upgrade and putting us away from the prom that was on. I would hate to see what the original room was like. We then realised we put in a room that was next to the room holding the prom and the event on the second night. My biggest thing for me is customer service while some of the staff were very nice I found others to be rude and disinterested esp the restaurant staff. We were seated asked for a menu and given a sheet of paper with some food no prices. We asked how it worked they said we could pick then they will tell us what the price was. There was one member that severed at.least 3 tables didnt speak or smile. Food was exspensive for the quality. We went in the bar for a drink and dessert as we didnt like the atmosphere in the restaurant. I asked for menu they gave me I also saw another menu didnt think much of it. On the second night we ate in the bar slightly cheaper and it seemed more choice, I looked at the other menu and asked what menu it was the bar said it was restaurant but i could have it in the bar. I explained what happened previous night and she explained was given the specials. I was annoyed with this. Ordered food had to ask for the bread and butter twice. The waitress even rolled her eyes at my husband and said it was coming. That was not all but I would be here all day. Overall clean hotel basic rooms restaurant and staff a let down. Also dont tell guest that they want be near the prom and then put them next door.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tracie H
Reviewed 10 July 2014

If I'm honest I was a little disappointed. Everything looked lovely on the website, and upon arrival I was really impressed. The staff on reception were great on the way in. But the layout of the hotel is a nightmare, signage a little confusing.
The rooms however I felt were a little bit sad. We overlooked what felt like more rooms that looked like premier inn accommodation. The room was a so called superior double, more like a standard holiday inn.
We ate in the bar as we were too late for the restaurant. The menu was below expectation with a price belonging to above average eateries.
For a hotel with such lovely grounds, a handsome building the rest just seems a bit of a shame!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Victoria F
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My husband and I stayed for one night on 4th July, 2014. We booked a superior room for £139. What a disappointment. The room was the size of a cupboard, very basic, bed standard double, not what you would expect from a hotel of this size and price, light in bathroom flickering, toilet didn't flush, extractor fan not working, no comfortable seating only one dining type chair. I asked the receptionist what the difference between a standard and superior room was and was told a superior room you get slippers and dressing gown. However, we had to share as there was only one provided. I have stayed in more superior rooms in a Travelodge for quarter the price. The rooms are a long way from the reception and we were left to carry our own luggage and having to keep asking people how to find our room. I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy

Room Tip: Don't stay at all in any room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Blondie020
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The driveway leading down to Horwood House is beautiful and well maintained as is the building. There was ample parking and reception was easy to find and they were extremely helpful and polite. Rooms were dotted about but a map and directions made it easy to find, although a number of stairs to tackle. The room was quite small, only a standard tv (not that this is a problem), hot water was of abundance, but bathroom sink was cracked. Doors were also noisy - had to be slammed to close so was easily woken up when people arrived to their rooms late at night. The view outside the window was nice - greenery and was on the end so only slight noise one wide.

Breakfast service was outstanding and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The food was very hot and plentiful - it was all laid out/presented nicely and it was easy to find crockery etc.

I was disappointed with the hotel room as they are an add on to the main building which isn't very attractive - you think your staying in the main building but this isn't the case. I would definitely try another Principal Hayley Hotel, and possibly this one because of the breakfast and staff.

Room Tip: Ask for an end room
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RachL2014
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I booked this hotel as a surprise 30th birthday and wedding anniversary treat (16-19th may) for my husband as he was taking part in a multi drive package with Spy Games 5 mins from Horwood House. It looked like a beautiful place and despite some not so good reviews I thought I would give it the benefit of doubt.

On arrival we were very impressed. The hotel stands in beautiful grounds, the sun was shining and we were very excited. I had paid for an upgrade as a special offer was emailed through although it was dependant on availability and i noted i would be informed on check in (so in total the stay cost just under £400 for 3 nights). On checking in there was no mention of the upgrade so I had to ask if it had been granted. We were given a map as the rooms are quite far away from reception, however the building is old and wasn't built as a hotel so we didn't mind this.

Opening the door to the bedroom was like being slapped in the face. The room was very small, the TV from 1970 certainly not the LCD tv advertised, the wardrobe door was hanging off, the wall had holes which had been filled but not painted. my heart sank. The upgrade included robes and slippers, we were given one pair....for a double room? I went straight back to reception to enquire about my upgrade as that room certainly wasn't to be told it was the correct room but a housekeeper would come and show us a different room. It was exactly the same. On booking the room I had requested a room with nice view that hadn't happened either. My husband could see I was very upset and went back to reception and asked to speak to the duty manager.

Julia was amazing and rescued our weekend to a degree with her helpfulness. Nothing was too much trouble. We ended up in much bigger room although it was more outdated and had a complimentary bottle of wine and a nice table for dinner. My upgrade was refunded. The rest of the weekend was lovely as we spent it out and about exploring MK.

The grounds are beautiful and especially great for anyone who loves photography, we also played tennis on the courts and giant chess. The swimming pool was decent although not heated. The food was good.

I would say be very careful when looking at the rooms online as the pictures don't match what you will get. The rooms are very small and certainly not luxurious. We might return in the future but would spend the extra on the best room!
The hotel was very quiet when we stayed so we didn't encounter problems such as slow service, most staff were friendly and helpful.

Thank you Julia for your help and for listening to our concerns.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2014

What a wonderful drive up the long drive with well manicured gardens and see this beautiful building, a feeling of grandeur. Inside the complete opposite, at reception i felt i was at a large camping site when given a map with a badly drawn guide to my room, i could see why with the ever twisting warren of corridors passing the hallway where my room was located many times. When i eventually found my room i wish i had not, the room had a damp aroma that at least distracted me for a while from the 80's room with video recorder television (that did not work). I hope the future brides and grooms that are to stay the night fair better than me

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2 mi away
The Bell Hotel
The Bell Hotel
#1 of 1 in Winslow

Been to De Vere Horwood Estate? Share your experiences!