“Really classy”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Little Horwood
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Really classy”
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

This place is massive when you drive in its really amazing as they have a long stretch road leading to the building by the looks of it they have cottage rentals as well which looked pretty decent from the outside. The building itself looks really amazing. They had great facilities with a really big nice restaurant, pool. They also had a really nice sauna. The only bad point I had was that it was really hard getting around the building we kept getting lost. The rooms were nice with a great en suite!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank prima993

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
Moreton-in-Marsh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Never leave a review but this hotel shocked me by how bad it was. Staff clueless, 'where is my room ?' Over there somewhere!!!!! No toilet paper, television rubbish, food below average, bar staff incredibly rubbish asked for a sparkling wine bar girl saw it was flat so shock the bottle and proceeded to offer a £6.50 glass of flat wine (went down the sink) .... Went to bar no staff waited 10 minutes no staff went to reception to say no staff was told yes there is !!!! Beautiful location shame about the management oh and Wifi and phone signal non existent bad show all round in the end my party found all the mess ups hilariously expected so scores 10 for entertainment value

Room Tip: My room was below stairs and stupid stupid hot
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Jane O

Travellers are raving about these Little Horwood hotels

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

my parents, brother and wife travelled down to visit the weekend before the grand prix at nearby Silverstone. they booked a table for 12 and we all looked at the menu on line. on arrival we were told the menu was cut in half due to staffing problems.Not even a steak on the menu. we asked why and were told the "chef" might be able to rustle up one if the orders were not excessive.The steak and ale pie with triple cooked chips was straight out of farmfoods and the chips were frozen chips quite possibly fried three times. two burgers were sent back and refunded off the bill due to the buns resembling a frisbie. we don't mind paying good money for decend food but £14 for a shop bought pie and chips was I thought a bit expensive. the one steak we ordered was well cooked, but served with those frozen chips. that weighed in at £25. after paying the bill, £356 we went into the bar and ordered some drinks, one of which was a pint of creamflow boddingtons. it was served completely flat with no semblance of a head. when the barman was asked to liven up the beer and serve it with the usual creamy head he replied I,ll try. no luck there either. the rooms were dirty and looked as if the use of a vacuum would scare them. toilet bin was emptied into the one in the bedroom and left there. also getting back to the menu that was halfed, they still advertised the full menu in reception.anyone just popping in would have been disappointed also. to be honest, horwood house is a beautiful setting and these little problems are letting it down badly. buck your ideas up horwood, you are letting the side down!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
UK
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We had a deal for our visit here and due to the mixed reviews were not really sure what to expect.

Reception was very good, friendly and explained everything that we needed to know with a smile.

Getting to the room did take a couple of minutes, but it is a large sprawling hotel, however this did make it quiet overnight!

As others have said the room was not large by any stretch of the imagination, however it was very clean and appeared recently refurbished but really, how much time do you actually spend in the room? The bed was a standard double and was quite comfortable. The bathroom was spotless, although one of the boards on the side of the sink had some water ingress and had swollen slightly, nothing to write home about, the shower was one of the best we've had in a hotel.

We went for a quiet drink but there were 2 weddings on the day that we were there so the bars were very busy. However as soon as the wedding parties moved into their respective rooms the hotel was just left to ourselves as the parties were kept away from the main hotel areas.

We booked afternoon tea which was quite delicious, the staff were excellent as we had to wait for friends to turn up before them delivering the tea. Despite numerous refills the staff never faltered and stopped to chat when near the table.

The Spa area consisted of a 15m ish pool, a gym and a sauna, all were clean and tidy.

The grounds are very pleasant for a stroll around, with several seats to stop and admire the scenery.

The evening meal was excellent, well cooked and presented, we had the Lamb Tagine. Wines and beers about what you would expect to pay in a Hotel (£15 and up for the former, £4 and up for the latter).

Despite 2 weddings the hotel was quiet at night.

The breakfast was really very good with a full selection of both continental and hot items to cover even the most fussy eaters. Although the breakfast restaurant was full with the wedding parties, there was never a shortage of food.

All in all, for what we paid, this was a fantastic value stay. Don't expect a quiet getaway at the weekend as I presume there are a lot of weddings, however it was never too bad, even at busy times. Rooms functional, everything else quite good.

Room Tip: The further you walk the quieter the room!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Cornwall
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Well - having booked the F1 tickets for Silverstone (my son's birthday) we looked for a good hotel. My wife found this one which looked great and of course it's web-site sells it well. £327.00 for a room for the night of the 5 July, the night before the race. Arrival - painless and indeed friendly staff - they stated that 'anything we need - just call' sounded great! We felt safe parking at the hotel - plenty of room for my Mercedes SL 63 AMG (expensive car so we wanted it to be parked up OK). Can't fault the hotel for that - great.
The room - very small - two small beds (very uncomfortable) - a TV that was - well lets say it should have been in a builders skip rather than in a hotel room! Room size - very small - bathroom - dated and dirty - cobwebs all around the ceiling! Look for the towels (bearing in mind they had advanced warning that there was two of us) one large towel! Ah - check the wardrobe space they should be in there - nope - look in all the other drawers - no - just one large towel. OK - call the reception - seven times to get an answer - very sorry someone will be right along! No - no one came along - took a long walk to reception to ask again - no one came - we had to manage with one towel!!! The evening was warm and very humid - turn on the air-conditioning - well no - there wasn't any!!! OK where is the fan - no - no fan - Ah call reception - yes of course someone will bring one - you guessed it - no one came! The bar for a drink - OK just a couple of 'Peroni' beers - £5.17 each? Ah well it's a special occasion - the room is awful - but the old part of the hotel looks great - doesn't it?
Dinner - at last we could maybe relax a little with a great meal - well maybe not - food choice - limited - even had 'Burger' on the menu - I tried that - awful!!! My son had the steak - his comment was - like an old boot! Service was - well 'swift' to say the least - again awful - rushed throughout - so much so that I felt really yuck!
I normally find something good to say about all the places I stay - but I have to say I am struggling here with this one - to say the least the price was outrageous for what I would consider at best a 3 start establishment - and I am stretching it I can assure you! All that I think I can say positive is that they have large grounds that seem very pretty - so maybe a wedding would be OK?
I would normally say that perhaps we were an isolated incident - but no - we travelled back to the hotel in a taxi with three other people who had exactly the same as us - awful was their comment - and we would never return!
So overall - possibly one of the most expensive awful places I have stayed - I don't mind paying for quality - but - I can say - as a solicitor I should have taken legal action against them - there you go - my balanced view.
This establishment really needs to pick up considerably - in every respect! Very poor!

Room Tip: From what I saw and heard there are no good rooms!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 July 2014

The amazingness stops once you have your room key and exit reception. The rabbit warrens you go through to eventually find your room are confusing and misleading. Then you enter your room to find it no bigger than a rabbit hutch.
Only 1bathrobe and pair of slippers, AND only 1 towel. Either room setup incorrectly or they are cutting corners(our room was booked for two)
No air/temp controls in room, just a window that opens to a 45degree angle.
After spending the night conciously trying not to move so my partner had space the light in the morning continued to create a terrible nights sleep. (Only way to get small amount of air into room is to have the blind open) Walls are paper thin too.
Room was clean on quick inspection, though stain on duvet and decorative pillow werent winners nor the markings dried on the bathroom floor from a dirty mop.
I have not even made it to breakfast yet, as i feel nothing will change/save my feelings of this place.
There is no value for money, feel very much out of pocket, and duped by clever marketing.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank sarah1083
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Hotel it self looks nice. Room very basic but clean. The stay was for my husbands birthday and I was doing some charity work. We checked receptionist said we were getting an upgrade and putting us away from the prom that was on. I would hate to see what the original room was like. We then realised we put in a room that was next to the room holding the prom and the event on the second night. My biggest thing for me is customer service while some of the staff were very nice I found others to be rude and disinterested esp the restaurant staff. We were seated asked for a menu and given a sheet of paper with some food no prices. We asked how it worked they said we could pick then they will tell us what the price was. There was one member that severed at.least 3 tables didnt speak or smile. Food was exspensive for the quality. We went in the bar for a drink and dessert as we didnt like the atmosphere in the restaurant. I asked for menu they gave me I also saw another menu didnt think much of it. On the second night we ate in the bar slightly cheaper and it seemed more choice, I looked at the other menu and asked what menu it was the bar said it was restaurant but i could have it in the bar. I explained what happened previous night and she explained was given the specials. I was annoyed with this. Ordered food had to ask for the bread and butter twice. The waitress even rolled her eyes at my husband and said it was coming. That was not all but I would be here all day. Overall clean hotel basic rooms restaurant and staff a let down. Also dont tell guest that they want be near the prom and then put them next door.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tracie H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Little Horwood
Hartwell House
Hartwell House
#1 of 1 in Hartwell
Woughton House - MGallery by Sofitel (was Mercure Parkside House)
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Milton Keynes
#1 of 2 in Chesham
Chicheley Hall
Chicheley Hall
#1 of 1 in Chicheley

Been to De Vere Horwood Estate? Share your experiences!