“not as expected!”

De Vere Horwood Estate
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Little Horwood
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Arrived at a beautiful long driveway and lovely old style house(the hotel). We were pleasantly surprised how lovely it was until we got our room number and was told to park around the back of the hotel. Its only then that you realise that you are not staying in this lovely hotel but in an extension to the hotel full of conference rooms! After hunting for our room, we eventually found our mouse hole! We walked in and was both totally disappointed with the size of the room, tiny is an understatement (you couldn't literally swing a cat if you tried)! So small -no where to go/sit/relax, old tv, décor old and although had been cleaned not very well! bed was uncomfy and we didn't want to stay in there more than we had to. We went to bar and had a drink which was an expensive game! The only good thing about the hotel, if you can call it that, as I've stayed in much better travelodges/budget hotels than this was the food. The restaurant is lovely with nice friendly staff and the food was good and the buffet breakfast in the morning, other than that, I wouldn't bother staying here if you want a nice relaxing night/weekend or like us, we were on a late anniversary getaway, but after staying there I wish we had gone somewhere else!!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank klt25
GMHorwoodHouse, General Manager at De Vere Horwood Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2014

Thank you for your review.
I am so sorry to hear about how disappointed you were regarding your stay with us for your anniversary.
Yes we are primarily a wedding and venue hotel, however we do have lovely suits and rooms for our private customers.
May I suggest people who make a reservation for a special occasion to mention if they are celebrating their anniversary or special occasion as we can then ensure you are not put into more suitable part of the hotel.
Please contact us directly with your complaint and we will be happy to see what we can do for you as a VIP.
Kind regards
Chris Steadman

Write a ReviewReviews (1,448)

Reviewed 1 September 2014

Stayed here on Aug 28th for one night after a days shopping in Bicester and then went onto Bletchley Park the following day. The hotel was nice, room was a little cramp with the smallest TV I have ever seen but was spotless and the staff were fantastic and very professional.

My wife and I were in two minds whether to eat in the hotel or venture out and find a nice country pub, after seeing the limited and pricey food / drinks menu our minds were made up - off went for a drive - Needless to say I wish we had stayed put as the meal in Bletchley town turned out to be a complete disaster.This was made worse as my wife had a great breakfast in the hotel the following morning.

We booked through late rooms and had a great deal as it was last minute - would certainly recommend it and return to stay again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2014

I stayed 2 nights at horwood house and the food in the hotel was superb, could not fault it, had evening meal and breakfast. restaurant staff were very good and efficient. I stayed in the outside courtyard cottages,nice size room, and although it overlooked the car park there was no noise at all. I can definitely recommend the courtyard rooms, apart from being ground level and no stairs to climb, they had character, would definitely stay in one of them again.

Room Tip: the courtyard rooms have easy access to the car park if you want to go in and out during the day, th...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 September 2014 via mobile

I spent a weekend with my team members. Interaction with staff was just okay. My room was great but the shower was horrible. It kept leaking to the floor and I has to keep using towels to control the water. The food was okay but one of my mates got food poisoning and stayed in his room almost throughout the weekend. It is a good place to take pictures and for a bit of peace and quiet even though the fire alarm went off at 4am due to some drunk guests.

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Booked a superior room for one night. Check in was busy but the only receptionist was courteous and provided a map of how to get to room. On arrival in my room I found that the maintenance man has left his tools and bucket of filler in the bathroom.... and the power had been switched off. Tried to call reception but no answer. Maintenance man turned up in 10 minutes later, profusely apologised and hoovered the filler off the carpet and turned on the power ! Superior room had a reasonable amount of space, and nice touches like dressing gown and slippers. Tea coffee and biscuits, and nice flat screen TV with multiple freeview channels. However the finer details let the room down, no soap or shower gel in bathroom (just lots of shampoo) .Comfy bed and generally clean and tidy.
So went for dinner, and was told by a rather stressed Maitre di that they had 3 funtions and were very busy and could not seat me in the restaurant until 8.30pm (it was 6.30). In a restauran t wiht 100 covers and only 10 people seated this was hard to understand REALLY DISAPPOINTED as the hotel reportedly serves good food. Sadly, reception did not tell me on check in I needed to book restaurant. Must be the first hotel I have stayed awhere I have had this problem. Dont they know they need extra staff to cope with 3 functions and the hotel guests? So downgraded to a bar snack (a tasty if overpriced Pizza) and washed down wiht a glass of beer.
This hotel could be so much better... the impression I left with was that they were understaffed to cope with the functions and the "hotel guests"

Room Tip: Superior room definitely have more space, a standard room looked very small. Finding your room need...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank robert h
Reviewed 1 September 2014

As always with a 'new stay' we read the reviews first and to be frank we were apprehensive. So OK, we did need SatNav to find it, and OK, we needed the site map to find our room, but wait a minute WE ONLY PAID £62 to stay in a fantastic place, with a great Leisure Centre, a fabulously appointed room with comfy beds, plenty of towels ~ couldn't fault it.
On arrival no soap in room and the TV remote didn't work but all quickly sorted by the efficient receptionist.
I really don't know what some people expect for their money. We've stayed at other PH hotels and they are reliable and offer good quality service.
Whatever you're doing in this area, Horwood House is an excellent base and we will certainly return.

Room Tip: The '500' room number wing is by far the quietist.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Horwood House for 2 week on business. Overall, I thought the Hotel was ok but better for a 1 or 2 night stay, rather than a longer one.
Bedrooms were on the small size. I had a double room, and apart from a 2 ft wide space around 3 sides of the bed; and the room entrance, there was no space. Phone didn't work either. Did not receive morning wake-up call. Have had bigger rooms at Travelodge.
TV - only 6 or 7 channels - no free view. Great if you're there for a busy weekend. Not so good if you're just trying to chill & watch a movie before bed.
Wifi - when it worked, it was great - if not a little weak. However, I spent 1/2 hr at reception going through different codes trying to find a one that worked.
Bar - nice bar, friendly staff, always willing to help; but expensive. Over £5 for a Perni.
Restaurant - similarly expensive, but service and meals very good. I can only speak for 'Breakfast' but there was a good choice of items and nicely cooked / prepared.
Plenty of parking, with a large side entrance to make it easier for access.
Pool/Sauna - pool was nice but never tried the gym. Steam room good too. Sauna was closed for the duration of my stay, but looked a bit tatty.
Reception, not at it's best. Sometimes helpful, sometimes not. Receive an answer of 'Ive only been here 5 weeks - problem not resolved to my satisfaction.
Noise - there were a number of weddings during my stay, who's guests made lots of noise until the early hours.
Gave my review 3 stars. A reasonable stay, but lots of room for improvement.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2 mi away
The Bell Hotel
The Bell Hotel
#1 of 1 in Winslow

Been to De Vere Horwood Estate? Share your experiences!