“Cold loud and itchy blankets”
Review of Haigs Hotel

and 1 more site!
Haigs Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Balsall Common
“Cold loud and itchy blankets”
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Firstly the room smelt, two of the lamps didn't work, despite putting the radiator the room was freezing and there was only one blanket. Breakfast was so small that it wouldn't have filled a child up and the croissant was out of date!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank netd1975

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Biggar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2013

After exhibiting at Crufts, we decided it was too long a day to drive back home to Scotland so after a bit of googling found Haigs hotel, who were happy for us to take a room, and didnt mind that we had a few dogs with us.
The hotel is only about 5 miles from the NEC so very convenient. Plenty parking when you get there.
The receptionist count not have been friendlier, made us feel very welcome, im sorry i dont have her name but she is really an asset!
On the plus side:

Room was huge, very spacious, warm, with a large bathroom, plenty wardrobe space, and a comfortable bed - we had a great nights sleep.
Didnt eat dinner here, but the menu looked good and exellent value.
Breakfast was superb! All freshly cooked to order, every part of it was delicious - and served with a smile!

On the downside - yes the reception area is a bit tired, as are the rooms i.e. headboard was hanging off, the carpet had seen better days etc. But - its a budget hotel, and in my opinion offers excellent value for money. At only £41 for the room, bed and breakfast it really was a great find. We stayed at the Ramada Encore the night before and i have to say Haigs level of service and quality of food was far superior. I would definitely consider staying here again if looking for a room on a budget.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Elscodobermann
Reviewed 16 March 2013 via mobile

My partner and I recently stayed overnight for a birthday celebration and we could not have been happier with the service we received.
We paid £42.50 for an overnight stay with breakfast which we both thought was reasonable compared to other local hotels we looked at. Rooms were basic but perfectly clean and comfortable
In the restaurant we took advantage of there two for one offer and it seem many more also had as the restaurant was fully booked. We were very impressed by the food and will definitely be returning

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2013

3/3/13. Just returned home from Sunday lunch at Haigh's. A wonderful meal in a pleasant atmosphere and served by attentive, cheerful staff. Extremely good value and will be back soon. The food was beautifully prepared and served - excellent value and I defy anyone to find better value in the area. THe staff pay great attention to the customer and have obviously been well briefed on the necessity to make customers feel at home. Well done!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2013

I had not stayed at a British hotel since 1995 and Haig's was a revevation for a very elderly gent more accustomed to holiday hotels abroad. My daugther and I stayed two nights last week(Feb 13) The staff very helpful and friendly especially the young lady at reception. The dining-room well appointed and attentive service. The beds comfortable,usual tea,coffee making facilities and less usual,nibbles and mineral water. Shiny cleanlines throughout, my impression was that this hotel had been recently been refurbished andr the price of a B and B.
I have one grumble, the roast beef tasted more like braised beef.
Very happy with our stay at this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank john080723
Buxton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2013

I don't know what has happened to this hotel but it has gone badly downhill. On the first evening I found hair in my food. The following day I asked to move rooms as my room was dirty and noisy. I can only assume there has been a change of management. I certainly won't be staying again. A real shame as it used to be a nice friendly (and clean) place to stay.

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Suzanne S
Ireland
Reviewed 20 February 2013

sorry to have to report that this was not a good experience. Don't normally complain but on this occasion it is hard not to.. On arrival the front door was dirty (not a great ad for inside) and there was a smell upon opening it. Brought to my room through a narrow shabby corridor, and i was horrified at the shabby old fashioned decor with stains on walls. Telly did not work , bed was of a standard not seen for many years and completely unacceptable. after two hours of trying to find a reason to stay, i checked out and went elsewhere.

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Quality Hotel Coventry
Quality Hotel Coventry
#20 of 39 in Coventry
Best Western Plus Birmingham NEC Meriden Manor Hotel

Been to Haigs Hotel? Share your experiences!