“Quiet but close enough to the beach”
Review of NEPTUNO'S REFUGIO

NEPTUNO'S REFUGIO
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Boca Chica
Phoenix, Arizona
“Quiet but close enough to the beach”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I stayed for four days at this hotel. My friends and I rented two apartments with ocean view. The rooms were very spacious. They both have a pull out couch, table, sink, stove, refrigerator, safe and tv. The tv in 3A had a flat screen and the one in 2A did not have a flat screen. It had a daewoo tube television. The room is a bit outdated but its manageable and clean. The safe is pretty small. We actually broke the key on the safe in 3A and had to pay to replace it. The bedrooms in both apartments had a nice king sized bed. They take up most of the room but it's easy to walk around. The closest has a lot of space for a lot of clothing and luggage which was nice. The bathrooms were also a nice a size. The balconies have very good ocean views. The balcony on 2A is bigger but 3A has a better view. The complex is really quiet. It is next to a couple restaurants that have beautiful views of the ocean. The walk to the public beach or calle duarte is 5-10 minutes. I definitely would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Q S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Juneau, Alaska
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Lovely little place with breezy condos at a reasonable price. Five minute walk to the main street of this beach town. A small, open air dining area serves breakfast. The sign says 8 - 10 am. However, most mornings breakfast was available shortly after 7, if you're in a hurry to get to the beach or the dive shop.

Friendly, helpful staff. Our laundry was back the next day. Our two week stay over New Years was comfortable. The small kitchen definitely helped us save on the food bill.

Noise, loud music, loud voices, seem to be an issue everywhere in the country and here was no exception. Nearby clubs blared their concept of music every night. Eventually it stops. Ear plugs might help; or just get yourself really tired from the day's activities.

No AC in our rooms, but perfectly adequate ceiling fans. It was cool enough that a blanket felt good!

Room Tip: 2C has a balcony over-looking the pool
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Deanna99801
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Good hotel. Clean. Close. Safe.
Except laundry service. Was there one month, no laundry service. There are no laundry mats here, which we finally figured out.
When they did do laundry, some of my clothes were missing

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Our very first night in DR, we stayed here- but had an enormously difficult time finding it & some of the people in town had never even heard of it! It is tucked down the street from a much bigger resort- the Hamaca.(Hint to find it-just get directions to Hamaca)
The first thing we realized was it was NOT on the beach- and we chose that place b/c the pics made it seem like it was right there on the beach. AND the fact that the trip advisor reviews were so high. The beach was a 5-10 minute walk.
We chose the 1br apartment and loved the big balcony. Most of the furniture was kinda ratty (the couch would classify as kinda scary) and even though there was a small kitchen, the dishes looked dingy enough to make me stay away.
HOWEVER, the place was small enough that the owners knew us, helped us- they even ordered us 3 giant jugs of water and 12 beers to be delivered to our hotel door in the first hour we were there. That is a big bonus when the other options are giant hotels with no personalized service. There was always a security guard on staff, which made us feel comfortable, and the place was quiet and cozy- a welcome change from the streets of Boca Chica near the beach.
Would I return? Next time, for that price I think I'd try to find a nicer place to lay my head.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank tina m
chine
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Hotel is located 10 minutes away by walking from the beach, restaurants, and night spots. The young couple of owner/manager is friendly and customer oriented.

Hotel level is above Boca Chica standard room rates of USD 30/night, I have experienced in the past, even if USD 55/night I paid was overpriced. Simple BKF (enough for non Mac Do and Coke lovers) include in room rate.

Room number 6 at 3rd level, I had was spacious, clear with big windows, A/C was working well without noise, cable TV, and WIFI in room were OK. Continuous hot and cold water, rooms are daily cleaned. Simple safety box (red treasury box) in room. Room has a small balcony.

Small pool and natural open space are daily maintained and well equipped. Unfortunately mosquitoes are also part of the game..

Clean environment in hotel area. It is a safe guest friendly hotel. A night keeper is on duty too.

Negative points;:
1) NEPTUNO’S REFUGIO is located 100 meters away from a so call “all inclusive hotel/industry” named “Be Live / Hamaca” generating a lot of noise during nights through disco, casinos, parties, etc… 2 nights out of 4 I’ve spent, I was unable to sleep before 5.00 am. Bass sounds from the music were so strong that windows in hotel rooms were vibrating….

2) It is well notified (see picture) that payment by AMEX are accepted but are charged at 18% fee which is completely against AMEX policy. According explanation received from manager/owner it is linked to local bank charge. It seems strange to me. I assume it's more linked to income tax payment “game” in DR.

Room Tip: Book a room at 3rd or 4th floor to avoid mosquito’s festival….
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank asiana55
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Wow! I don't think I can find enough words to express my experience at Neptuno's. It may not be a 5 star hotel but the quality service and the people there surpass 5 star treatment. You will never get this type of treatment in a 5 star hotel. First I must say, we stayed one night on April 21, 2013 and when we arrived the owner helped us with our bags to our very nice suite but we were just passing through on our trip. On our way back we decided to stay there again this time for 3 nights and we checked in with a world of problems. From lost baggage to cancel flights and they assisted us to the end, they even went as far as calling the airline without our knowledge to check on our lost luggage. These people are magnificent, OMG, they treated us like family. The rooms are also nice and comfortable, We also enjoyed the home cooked breakfast they offered. I have never been to Italy but based on what I heard about Italy it has that type of feel to the place. From the owner, to management, to front desk staff, to security they all were fantastic, even the house keepers. I am a 5 star hotel kind of person but I will definitely stay at Neptuno's Refugio again and you cant beat the price either, they should be charging more but don't tell them I said that...lol I choose this hotel because of the great reviews and I am glad I did. Thanks guys for everything.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank PaulineM1960
Reviewed 16 April 2013

A nice hotel clean with a nice garden and swing pool ,the staff are friendly and redy to help you if you need it ,there is nothing luxury but a nice clean room.We had a room with the view at the sea btw the terase is huge !

• Stayed April 2013