“The Worst”

BelleVue Dominican Bay
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Boca Chica
Reviewed 17 April 2014

As a frequent traveller this hotel is absolutly the worst hotel. To start off the staff were excellent. It al lgoes downhill after that. The beds are hard as rocks, the pillow are no better than the old school airline pillows. For four days my toilet would not work I had to ask every day to fix it. On day four my a/c broke and flooded my room floor. I had to ask twicwe to fix it. One respne was will will come out later. I explained my floor was soaked and they finall came out. The last two days no hot water in the shower. When I told them I could not take it any longer I wanted to check out one day early due to the sorry state of the room and I would lik emy money back. I was advised a "penalty" of one nights stay would be charged for leaving early. It was the typical "I need to ask the manager" answer where they diasppear in the back then come out and say manager says no. The next problem the food. To be honest it was low grade dog food. You needed signs to identify what it was. Bottom line DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!
On a positive note the town of Boca Chica has a funky beach town vibe lots of people hanging out on the beach with cool little beach bars full of locals not many tourists.....that is perfect.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank JostVanDog
There are newer reviews for BelleVue Dominican Bay

Reviewed 6 April 2014

First of all if your looking at this hotel its because you wanna save money but still have a good time, right?
My wife and I went with a group of friends and we had a blast. we had a good time because we knew what we were getting ourselves into. For example:
1) We Chose to go to 3 star hotel to save money.
2) Our mindset.. were going to have a good time.
3) Keep it simple and enjoy the day

Landing in DR
1) When you land the government charges tourist 10 bucks to get into the country.
2) The money exchange at the airport in DR charges to much from what we learned. Its not worth changing your money if you don't plan on walking with a calculator, and are not fluent in Spanish. American Cash is King anywhere.
3) Make sure you have a travel voucher from airport to hotel printed out.
4) SKYBAR is the only place in the airport that offers WIFI buy a beer for 2 bucks and get on Facebook and tell everyone you made it.
5) As you exit the airport from baggage claim your going to walk straight towards the exit your chauffeur will be holding a sign representing the travel agency and transportation company. It didn't have the hotel name on it.
6) They will escort you to the bus and load up your luggage
Tippng - You don't have to and they didn't ask but a dollar a bag is the right thing to do.

Also this is going to be your first contact if you want something or go somewhere during your stay. Ask the driver for his cell number. These drivers work for the company so it would be highly unlikely for them to do something to risk there lively hood.

The Bellevue Hotel
The rooms
Yeah well it is what it is. If you don't have cold water let the front desk know and they will take care of it. My wife brought sheets from home that we used on top of there linen so we were good there. We brought shower shoes so we were good there.
USE- Bottle water to brush your teeth.

The main chow hall " The hibiscus" restaurant is a buffet which offers a variety of selections. The rice and beans were great. There are two specialty restaurants on property - the "Caribbean Rest". and the "Italian Rest". You have to make reservations for those 2 spots at 0800 at the front desk Tip- Don't bother making reservations at the Italian restaurant. Although the ambiance of the room is quite romantic the food is just the opposite.
Lunch at the beach is a good choice. Grill is located near the staircase.

The Beach
to get to the beach you have to go to the main desk area and cross the street. The hotel has its private secure pathway to the beach. The guarded pathway leads you thru a nice garden area and then across a small bridge elevated underneath one of the islands local artist's home/open studio. His paintings are beautiful. If your interested in a painting called down to him his name is Robert. $40 Bucks for a huge painting. He will roll up the canvas and run up the hill and give it you. Always try to buy art anywhere you visit somewhere new.
Once one the beach there is a rock threshold surrounding the hotels property. Once you break the threshold you ar fair game to vendors. NOTE: If you flash money every vendor on the island will know you have money and try to sell you everything they have. If you buy something forgetta about it. They will block the sun. Try to save the souvenir buying for your last day. Do not do any excursion solicited from the beach. No! If you wanna go somewhere work it with the main desk and get a price and then call the chauffeur (on his cell) and ask him how much he will charge you for the same trip.

If your looking for some quite time on the beach. walk towards the left on the beach and you will see a marina (a pier with the boats docked). They have a quite little bar/lounge there that is nice. $4 dollars a beer. Cheaper to buy a bottle of rum and hanging out all day and jump in the water. This was fun.

Nightly Entertainment
They do a good job entertaining the crowd. During the day they offer dance lessons which is pretty cool. The night shows are rated "R" for lack of a better word. But were enjoyable!

The People
As with any culture treat people with respect and they will reciprocate. Dominicans were friendly helpful and joyous. No problems, However the RUSSIANS visiting there, good lawd, They are not fond of Americans at all! Maybe it was just our group because we were your typical Brooklyn Bunch. Hey Yo Joey Smacks over here! LOL
If you have any questions just send me a message. If you like or dislike the review let me know

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
20  Thank YoJoeySmacks
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stay at this resort because of location.The room was really run down.They are remodeling and they put us next to a building that was being remodeled. The first dat the quite pool was dirty ,lots of leaves maybe they should trim the trees.The bar the employee looked and acted like it was a bother to service u a drink and by the way licour is very watered down.One of our rooms had a bathroom that leak through the ceiling above.and roaches. We did meet a few really good waiters at the breakfast buffet.I think they need a better security system. They could have told us not to step out of the hotel area to the beach.We got bombarded with people selling everything from food to jewery..Who knew you could get a pedicure and manicure at the beach. we tryed to relax but it was not possible with all thepeople coming by to sell stuff..all in all I would never stay there again nor would I recomemed it to anyone..Only really good part we could see the nightly show from the balcony..and the show where worth watching.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank rodmarie
Reviewed 29 March 2014

The food was good. The intertainment was great. What killed it for me was one girl at the front desk (Yerona) this girl totally ignored a senior in front of me to take care of two young guys. When it was my turn, again she ignore my couple and I to take care of the same two guys.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Bellalegre
Reviewed 27 March 2014

This hotel was ok for the money.

The trip was with a few friends and I had read the reviews before traveling so I was ready to run into a few problems.
My personal experience was ok at best, my room always had water and moderate AC, but my friends room didn’t have water for a few hours and for the 5 days we were there they only had AC for one night, the room was fairly unbearable.

The front desk staff was fairly rude and tried to scam us out of $10 a head when we first arrived due to some random check in fee, with some resistance we were able to get out of it.

We were only able to eat at the restaurant once as they only take reservations early the day of and we were usually out on excursions (or sleeping) and from what I can tell the reservations run out very quickly.

The buffet was ok, and the staff is usually very helpful and kind.
The room was pretty clean, but older.

I would recommend this hotel if you’re going with friends / significant others and don’t generally care higher quality amenities.

Room Tip: We stayed by the quite pool, which is where they do the shows, which means it can get pretty loud at...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 March 2014

This was our first trip to the Dominican Republic, and because we booked at a 3 star, we were not expecting 5 star treatment or facilities, so we weren't greatly disappointed. Overall, it was a very nice trip, met some great people and had a lot of fun.

PLUSES

The grounds were quite lovely
had 2 nice pools
food was fairly good for the most part
The staff at the Ceiba bar were great
Although tired, the rooms were clean

MINUSES

They permit the local people to come in on the weekend, and they are dirty, leaving garbage everywhere and extremely noisy. Even though we were at the "quiet" pool, the noise they made was outrageous. These people don't seem to know how to just talk. They scream all the time. Otherwise, it was quite nice to hang around this pool.
Although I stated earlier that the food was adequate, it was also quite bland. It's OK if you really like to eat pasta all the time. but found that there was not much flavour to it.
The resort advertises that they have a gym, and they DO NOT. It may not be a big deal to some, but it's a big deal to me.
The resort itself is very tired, but they are renovating it one block at a time, and they're working on Dominican time, so it should be several years before all the blocks are done. We were fortunate enough to see some of the renovated rooms, and they were beautiful. I can see them ending up a 4 or 5 star within another year or two. Otherwise, the rooms were adequate. They were clean. There was a lingering musty smell that we have found is in most Caribbean resorts I think mostly because of the humidity they live in.
The staff was for the most part friendly, but I did find many of them stand-offish. The reception desk was a crap shoot. If you got the right person at the desk that day, you got great service, if you weren't quite so lucky, they made you feel like you were bothering them.
This was our first experience with German and Russian tourists, and they were quite rude. There were many people from other countries like Venezuela, Peru, England, France, Canada, US and they were for the most part great and friendly.
The beach is on a bay, so if you are expecting great crashing waves, there are none. It is also a good walk from the resort (about 3 blocks) on a private walkway which is protected by a series of security guards so it is quite safe, but if you do not want to or cannot walk that far, don't stay here. I really resent being at an all inclusive resort and having to pay $10 U.S. for a beach chair when I go to the beach.
Depending on the positioning of your room, it can be quite noisy to stay here. We were unfortunate enough to have a room on the front side which is also the street, and we heard a lot of noise. Because the resort is right in Boca Chica, there is a fair bit of traffic all day and all night, as well as buses coming in and out of there at all day and night. We did however decide that we preferred to sleep with the windows opened rather than listen to the horrendously noisy air conditioning all night long. Since we were only sleeping in the room, we didn't mind it so much so the room we considered to be ok.

SUMMATION

We would definitely go back to the Dominican Republic, possibly not at this resort until it's totally renovated, but if you want a decent resort for not a lot of money, we can't tell you not to go. Overall it is at the right rating right now and look forward to returning when it achieves a higher rating.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side of building (facing the pools), away from the road, and you should...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Richard B
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Junior Rodriguez and Vladimir and all the dancers were so great on stage and off. In addition the wait staff ..Francisco, Miguel, Domingo Nelson and so many more were all so joyful and engaging with us that we feel we have friends for life. Please express for me to Junior Rodriguez how much we appreciated his work on stage and his genuine friendship off stage.
Thanks so much all!

Be Live Collection Canoa
#11 of 16 in Bayahibe
Be Live Collection Punta Cana
Natura Park Beach - EcoResort & Spa

Been to BelleVue Dominican Bay? Share your experiences!