“A budget hotel”

Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Boca Chica
Toronto, Canada
“A budget hotel”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

So, this was a budget hotel. The cost was 169. befor tax with everything included. It was a Transat Vacation.

If you're someone who enjoys laying around in the luxury of a 5 star hotel room, you may be a little disappointed. The rooms are run down, someones panty hose were drying on the lamp shade when we came into the room. I've been all over the world and never seen that before. We had to change rooms because the A/C died. The beds were hard, some of the rooms smelled a bit. For us, these were all very minor things.

We walked around Boca Chica, we put together our own tour, we met great people from all over. Americans, Canadians (us), Venezuelans, Briazilians, German, British, Russians all met there and having a blast. We went into Santo Domingo, which I highly recommend.

It's fair to say that this hotel needs a little TLC but for the price and the great location, its well worth it, if you're looking for a budget vacation. If a little dirt, some mould, weathered furnature, or someone elses pantyhose throw you off, you may want to pass.

We are a gay couple and had no problems finding other gay people to hang out with. We even paid the local cops for to watch and keep us safe while all 15 of us skinny dipped.

This was a great vacation.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Stephen M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Puerto Rico
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

The room had an awful smell,like someone would smoke in the bathroom which had a leaking roof,a dirty toilet and a worned out mirror. There was a church or something just outside the wall in front of our room and all we could hear was the screaming and the awfully loud music they had (two days in a row). Also our room was full of mosquitoes and bugs. There where no variety of food or fruits,they just served rice,beans, pork and passion fruit. The pool was dirty and the music was very loud and vulgar. The front desk employees had very bad attitude and when we asked to be moved from the room(the TV and the phone didn't worked). And the beach was dirty and full of annoying vendors. Overall this hotel is the worst I've been in my whole life!!! A complete and total waste of money,because it was very expensive for that bulls**t service.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank LVLFPR

Travellers are raving about these Boca Chica hotels

Jaxksonville
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

The staff is incredibly warm and courteous, just not at the front desk. Upon check in, which seemed clustered and completely unprofessional, you are educated about how you have zero amenities in the room, no remote, no iron, no beach towels. The rooms are sparse, dated and well worn. The AC works but sounds like a jet engine, bugs are a problem and the bathrooms are in need of very serious repairs. The pools are fine until the weekend when they give the locals day passes, they are loud, disorderly, and leave their trash where it lies, hotel management seems to care alot more about them as a source of revenue than they do about the guests. The food is hit or miss at the buffet, I've had an amazing meal and looked upon something so disastrously bad I wouldn't eat. A la carte is once per visit so forget the all inclusive thing. Alcohol is cheap local variety but plentiful, be warned hangover from the cheap cheap liquor is inevitable. The beach is incredibly dirty and the surf full of the locals trash, its crowded and crawling with drug dealers, prostitutes, hustlers and annoying vendors. The town is quaint albeit crowded and shady. No bars or clubs to speak of. Hotel entertainment is a failed Shakespearean tragedy, but at least they try. The front desk staff are rude discourteous, and make sure to make you feel unwelcome from the get go. No education about events, meal hours, or attractions, they just hand you a one sheet barely legible printer sheet brochure. The concierge is collecting welfare, she sits there all day does nothing and her answer to every question is I don't know. The beds are intolerable and so are the pillows and the rooms smell of mold and cheap perfume. Do yourself a favor go to Punta Plata instead of ur coming to DR, boca chica had nothing to offer and this 1/2 star hotels doesn't deserve your money. Wish I could give this place negative marks.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Aquellies
Miami, Oklahoma
Reviewed 20 April 2014

The bed was so hard as were the pillows and we even exchanged pillows but they were as hard as a rock so I had a problem sleeping. There was a leak from the air and I called them a few times to fix it,when we came back from the pool over 3 hours later it was not fixed and there was water everywhere,either from the ceiling but I believe it was from the air. The food we agreed was rather dull and I would need feed my child what they served. The waiters were nice and there staff was nice but the front desk did not fix things and kept giving me the run around. The pool was dirty but they cleaned it when they wanted to it appeared. There were a lot of leaves in the pool. I just do not know how a place can operate like this. When you leave there tons of people are trying to sell things on the beach but we noticed this also in other parts of the country and yes there are prostitutes on the beach.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank shelly S
St. Croix
Reviewed 17 April 2014

As a frequent traveller this hotel is absolutly the worst hotel. To start off the staff were excellent. It al lgoes downhill after that. The beds are hard as rocks, the pillow are no better than the old school airline pillows. For four days my toilet would not work I had to ask every day to fix it. On day four my a/c broke and flooded my room floor. I had to ask twicwe to fix it. One respne was will will come out later. I explained my floor was soaked and they finall came out. The last two days no hot water in the shower. When I told them I could not take it any longer I wanted to check out one day early due to the sorry state of the room and I would lik emy money back. I was advised a "penalty" of one nights stay would be charged for leaving early. It was the typical "I need to ask the manager" answer where they diasppear in the back then come out and say manager says no. The next problem the food. To be honest it was low grade dog food. You needed signs to identify what it was. Bottom line DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!
On a positive note the town of Boca Chica has a funky beach town vibe lots of people hanging out on the beach with cool little beach bars full of locals not many tourists.....that is perfect.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank JostVanDog
Reviewed 6 April 2014

First of all if your looking at this hotel its because you wanna save money but still have a good time, right?
My wife and I went with a group of friends and we had a blast. we had a good time because we knew what we were getting ourselves into. For example:
1) We Chose to go to 3 star hotel to save money.
2) Our mindset.. were going to have a good time.
3) Keep it simple and enjoy the day

Landing in DR
1) When you land the government charges tourist 10 bucks to get into the country.
2) The money exchange at the airport in DR charges to much from what we learned. Its not worth changing your money if you don't plan on walking with a calculator, and are not fluent in Spanish. American Cash is King anywhere.
3) Make sure you have a travel voucher from airport to hotel printed out.
4) SKYBAR is the only place in the airport that offers WIFI buy a beer for 2 bucks and get on Facebook and tell everyone you made it.
5) As you exit the airport from baggage claim your going to walk straight towards the exit your chauffeur will be holding a sign representing the travel agency and transportation company. It didn't have the hotel name on it.
6) They will escort you to the bus and load up your luggage
Tippng - You don't have to and they didn't ask but a dollar a bag is the right thing to do.

Also this is going to be your first contact if you want something or go somewhere during your stay. Ask the driver for his cell number. These drivers work for the company so it would be highly unlikely for them to do something to risk there lively hood.

The Bellevue Hotel
The rooms
Yeah well it is what it is. If you don't have cold water let the front desk know and they will take care of it. My wife brought sheets from home that we used on top of there linen so we were good there. We brought shower shoes so we were good there.
USE- Bottle water to brush your teeth.

The main chow hall " The hibiscus" restaurant is a buffet which offers a variety of selections. The rice and beans were great. There are two specialty restaurants on property - the "Caribbean Rest". and the "Italian Rest". You have to make reservations for those 2 spots at 0800 at the front desk Tip- Don't bother making reservations at the Italian restaurant. Although the ambiance of the room is quite romantic the food is just the opposite.
Lunch at the beach is a good choice. Grill is located near the staircase.

The Beach
to get to the beach you have to go to the main desk area and cross the street. The hotel has its private secure pathway to the beach. The guarded pathway leads you thru a nice garden area and then across a small bridge elevated underneath one of the islands local artist's home/open studio. His paintings are beautiful. If your interested in a painting called down to him his name is Robert. $40 Bucks for a huge painting. He will roll up the canvas and run up the hill and give it you. Always try to buy art anywhere you visit somewhere new.
Once one the beach there is a rock threshold surrounding the hotels property. Once you break the threshold you ar fair game to vendors. NOTE: If you flash money every vendor on the island will know you have money and try to sell you everything they have. If you buy something forgetta about it. They will block the sun. Try to save the souvenir buying for your last day. Do not do any excursion solicited from the beach. No! If you wanna go somewhere work it with the main desk and get a price and then call the chauffeur (on his cell) and ask him how much he will charge you for the same trip.

If your looking for some quite time on the beach. walk towards the left on the beach and you will see a marina (a pier with the boats docked). They have a quite little bar/lounge there that is nice. $4 dollars a beer. Cheaper to buy a bottle of rum and hanging out all day and jump in the water. This was fun.

Nightly Entertainment
They do a good job entertaining the crowd. During the day they offer dance lessons which is pretty cool. The night shows are rated "R" for lack of a better word. But were enjoyable!

The People
As with any culture treat people with respect and they will reciprocate. Dominicans were friendly helpful and joyous. No problems, However the RUSSIANS visiting there, good lawd, They are not fond of Americans at all! Maybe it was just our group because we were your typical Brooklyn Bunch. Hey Yo Joey Smacks over here! LOL
If you have any questions just send me a message. If you like or dislike the review let me know

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
20 Thank YoJoeySmacks
Rio Grande, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stay at this resort because of location.The room was really run down.They are remodeling and they put us next to a building that was being remodeled. The first dat the quite pool was dirty ,lots of leaves maybe they should trim the trees.The bar the employee looked and acted like it was a bother to service u a drink and by the way licour is very watered down.One of our rooms had a bathroom that leak through the ceiling above.and roaches. We did meet a few really good waiters at the breakfast buffet.I think they need a better security system. They could have told us not to step out of the hotel area to the beach.We got bombarded with people selling everything from food to jewery..Who knew you could get a pedicure and manicure at the beach. we tryed to relax but it was not possible with all thepeople coming by to sell stuff..all in all I would never stay there again nor would I recomemed it to anyone..Only really good part we could see the nightly show from the balcony..and the show where worth watching.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
#10 of 16 in Bayahibe
Emotions by Hodelpa
Emotions by Hodelpa
#1 of 12 in Juan Dolio

Been to BelleVue Dominican Bay? Share your experiences!