“Kind of like sleep away camp with an awesome beach and ocean!”

Be Live Experience Hamaca Suites
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Boca Chica
Nanuet, New York
“Kind of like sleep away camp with an awesome beach and ocean!”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Just returned from Be Live Hamaca Beach and it was quite the experience. It all began with a horrible check-in at a mad house of a resort. It was packed, and I seemed like the only foreign traveler; everyone appeared local. Not much English was spoken. It was hot and humid. Everything is open air. I felt like I was about to pass out waiting for my room. The wait was about 4 hours from the time I arrived. Even 2 hours later than the room was promised. And boy what a room. Zero decor. Zero AC. Toilet that doesn't flush. Refrigerator that doesn't chill. Hard beds. Lumpy pillows. Thermostat that operates with a plastic spoon to slide the fan button from low to high, yet doesn't actually operate an actual fan. I put on swim shorts and head to the beach. More locals. Head to the water. Its beautiful. Perfect temperature. Crystal clear. Soft sand. Tropical fish. Nice breeze. Warm sun. Feeling a bit better now. Huge beach protected by a reef. Look for towels. What, $10 deposit per towel? Well give me two. Look for chair. Lots of well worn chairs, some broken. I walked to the far end of the beach and found some pretty new chairs in great shape. Relax. Swim. Snorkel. The catamaran is free? Nice Hobie cat. Sailed off and enjoyed the solitude. This is a beautiful ocean. Coral, sponges, fish, starfish, and did I mention the crystal clear water? wow.

Back to the room for a shower, and it works. Yay. Clean towels. Maintenance comes in to turn on AC, and it starts to work. Not too cold, but I can feel it. It should be comfortable enough to sleep. Toilet flushes if you wait for the tank to fill, about 10 minutes.

Dinner buffet is across the street at the Garden side of the resort. Lots of food. I don't recognize much of it though. Its ok because the locals are pushing me out of the way to eat it all. I get some bread and dessert. I'm starting to feel upset again so that's enough for me. Back to the room for bed. I pass out after a long day of traveling. Hallways are noisy and wake me up. Time for earplugs.

Morning one and I have high hopes for the breakfast buffet. The locals are out in force again. I have coffee and a croissant and head to the beach. Ahh. that's better.

Sunday lunch at the beach snack shack. Rotisserie chicken, hot dogs, burgers, and all the fixings. Not bad. Seems the locals prefer the pool to the beach, so I stay at far end of beach and sail again. Nice afternoon.

Head to dinner. What happened, this is actually nice and quiet? No locals. I actually can get to all the food, and find enough to make a nice plate of recognizable food to enjoy.

Each day was better than the last. Turns out the locals come out every weekend and take over the resort. Its like their 'shore'. Once they clear out, its a lot of European, Canadian, and foreign people, not many Americans, and everyone is very friendly, even with language troubles, we all communicated.

Sunny every day, some clouds in the AM, and clear blue sky by 11am. You will find food to eat. Nothing to rave about, but you will eat.

The resort is old. Its at least 30 years old, and you can see signs of its past glory. Marble stonework, landscaping, the outbuildings. There is a new area called the Presidential Suites. This is the timeshares they are selling, but only owners get to stay in those beautiful rooms. They still eat the same buffet though.

The workers and entertainment staff work their butts off. They keep you entertained, and laughing. Plenty of beach activities, games, horseshoes, volleyball, yoga, aerobics, zumba.

Did I mention its a 10 minute cab ride from Santo Domingo airport? Lots of people flew into Punta Cana though and had to take a 2 hour bus ride.

Check out was a breeze, with no surprise charges. I already had those surprises, like towels and $3 per day fee for the lock on the safe if you want it.

Funny thing, by the end of the week I didn't want to leave. I'm even considering going back. Its 2 stars at best, the rooms are old, but everything I needed worked, it was clean, and oh, that beach. And its cheap, since you get what you pay for. Makes for an affordable easy getaway. Take it for what it is, and it works. Expect elegance, luxury, service, pampering, and fine dining... look elsewhere. BTW, my wife tried the spa and said it was 5 star excellent and luxurious.

Take it for what it is. A cheap hotel on a beautiful beach. I came home tan, happy, rested, and even managed to gain a few pounds.

Room Tip: Try to get into the Presidential suites if you can.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Shep R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Polish first
Fort Lee, New Jersey
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I went for a week to this hotel and it truly was amazing. The staff at the hotel was so welcoming and made sure that we were satisfied with our room and our stay. On top of that the animation staff was amazing. Ricky had such great energy and was extremely entertaining and kind.thanks to him I now know how to dance! My experience here was amazing and I look forward to going back one day

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank stephyc93
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I just came back from a vacation on March 16, 2014. It was very disappointing. It is not a 4 star. Do yourself a favour and go somewhere else.
-very rundown hotel
-very dirty
-poor service
-no wifi included (very $$$$ to purchase)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Joanne_ONT

Travellers are raving about these Boca Chica hotels

Ormstown, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2014

This resort is advertised as 4 Star, but it actually offers three levels of quality. The timeshare section or as the agressive sales staff prefer to call it the ''fractional ownership'' units are 4-5 Star, the Ocean View is 3 Star, and the Garden View is 1 Star. The weather was great the last week of January first week of February when we visited, but the place has been neglected and it shows. From missing fire hoses, blocked toilets, non functional A/C, missing light bulbs, rusted bathroom hardware, broken beach chairs, overflowing garbage cans, questionable black slime growing the public pool, and very ordinary food it made for the most disappointing winter vacation we have ever taken. The service was sub par. Upon reaching our Garden View room we were disgusted, and immediately returned to the main desk and offered to pay for an upgrade to an Ocean View room. The staff were unresponsive claiming that it was impossible. A timeshare salesman seeing our distress offered to intercede if we promised to attend a three hour sales pitch for ''fractional ownership''. We agreed and within an hour we were assigned an Ocean View room.
Beach towels were usually unavailable for exchange, the front desk staff were uniformly unhelpful as they faced a steady flow of dissatisfied guests, and the buffet restaurant was continually short of everything from plates to utensils.
This may have been a decent place to stay at in the past but time, neglect, and an indifferent staff do not make it a 4 Star resort.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favour and find another resort to stay at, but if you do book here under no circumstan...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Robin S
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I just came back from the vacation in this hotel on March 12, 2014. In one word – disappointment.
The room was disaster, air conditioner didn’t work. The technician came to fix it twice. Toilet didn’t work. We were not able to flash. There is no door for the toilet, so all noises and smell goes right to the room. The water from the shower leaks to the next floor, so people under our room came to complain. Customer service oriented to Spanish speaking people only. Even reception doesn’t speak English. When I called to complain about water leak, they send me room service with bottle of water. I went to explain about water leak, and they did nothing. They are hunting people for the time-sharing. Very aggressive marketing. Low level sales people catching you with very poor English, so I didn’t understand what this presentation is all about until I found myself in the middle of it, which was too late to refuse. I spent at least 3 hours in this presentation, they lie saying it’s 90 min only. Wi-Fi cost $60 for a week, and it didn’t work half of the time.

Room Tip: Some people told us that ocean view rooms are better. I didn’t see it, so I can’t say if that’s trut...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Vlad U
Fort Lee, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 March 2014

This trip was birthday gift from my grandparents it was an amazing team. Aside from having an oceanfront room. The hotel staff along with the animation team were amazing and very helpful. They made sure that you were satisfied. The animation team made you feel welcomed and and comfortable. Their energy was great to to go off. I definitely would love to come again and recommend others to come here!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Stephanyc93
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I went to this resort a few weeks ago and once I stepped foot on the beach I fell in love! It was a great experience. Although, there were minor details that weren't all that great. For example, the room key didn't work from time to time, but the employees were a great help at fixing the issue. The entertainers at the hotel did a great job hosting events and interacting with everyone! They were so lively and had a lot of spirit in everything that they did, which made me enjoy my time there even more. Overall, great people and great vibes in this beautiful country. I will be back soon!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Emotions by Hodelpa
Emotions by Hodelpa
#1 of 12 in Juan Dolio
Be Live Collection Canoa

Been to Be Live Experience Hamaca Suites? Share your experiences!