“Quiet, nice location, free parking, pleasant staff”
Review of The Chequers Inn

The Chequers Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Cassington B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We spend just 1 night there. Was surprised that the Garmin Nuvi did not finв the exact address, but the hotel is still easy to find. Taking into account the age of the building itself we were surprised by quality of the room, bed, bedlinen, etc. My son (spent in summer school in Oxford 3 weeks) was very happy to have a more comfortable room. The breakfast was good, and well enough for us. Unfortunately we did not manage to taste the evening menu in the pub - we were late for just 5-10 min - the kitchen closes at 9 PM as almost everywhere in the vicinity. And as the hotel is located in a small settlement it was quite an experience to find a place to eat for 2 hungry men - we found some take-away kebab place in a neighbour village and compemented our dinner back in the hotel pub with nice beer!
Free parking is a big plus, the room was quiet despite it faced the street.
Good value for money we paid.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
foodiebic, Owner at The Chequers Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Good Evening Igor.
Many thanks for your lovely review.
We strive to deliver a great experience.
Since your visit, we have had a comprehensive refurbishment so, on your next stay you should find it even better.
Look forward to seeing you soon.

Thanks, Tony

Reviewed 27 August 2013

my wife and I visited for one night. room was a little small but had a nice shower room and was clean and tidy. we did not eat in the restaurant in the evening but the breakfast in the morning was very nice and the staff where friendly and attentive. very well located for Oxford about 15 min drive the Pear Tree park and ride.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Stayed at this hotel in the begining og August 2013. The hotel itself is well appointed, no air-con but otherwise well kept. Ample parking is available and the location is very handy for a Park and Ride into Oxford town centre. The rooms were cleaned every day to a high standard. The staff were very accommodating and helpful whilst we were at the hotel. The food was excellent and well priced. All in all a very pleasant trip

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank PeterBotterill
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Absolutely terrible. considering we are now in the 21st century they didn't even have a shower in the room! Dirty room, definitely not up to scratch for the £70 per person per room! No air conditioning was a sweltering room with a tiny fan which was useless.
Even after all of this I asked for a change of room which they couldn't provide me with, I was advised to go and find somewhere else to stay at 8oclock at night and I would receive a full refund.. 2 weeks later still no refund. Rang the hotel and they refuse to refund me!!! Wouldn't even give this hotel, experience or staff the satisfaction of 1*! AVOID!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
foodiebic, Owner at The Chequers Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

What a shame that some people resort to complete 'untruths' in a review.
You stayed with us on Monday 22nd July. The country was experiencing one of the strongest heat waves in a decade at this point. The temperature that day peaked at over 32degrees!!.
Our accommodation is accurately described on all of our literature, on our website and also on all other portals which we have control over.
Our en suite facilities are described as with 'Bath AND/OR Shower. We have 2 rooms with bath only (A situation which we intend to change in January 2014 when we will be upgrading our rooms!!)
At no point do we advertise air conditioning.
There are lots of things we can control and change. The weather, unfortunately, isn't one of them.
It's true, it was really warm that evening however, that wasn't our fault.
At no point were you told that you would get a refund. Mainly because, we'd done nothing wrong.
The rooms are certainly not 'dirty' as you claim. We are fortunate to have an outstanding housekeeper with great standards. Indeed, if you look through the reviews, we score highly for cleanliness.
We're very proud of the Chequers and believe that our rates represent excellent value for money compared to other establishments in the locale.
I would highly recommend that if certain things (such as air conditioning) are important to you, then you check when booking that the place you're booking provides your necessary facilities.
Maybe it would save you the trouble of writing spurious reviews of the places you frequent.
We are a characterful inn and don't profess to be a 5* resort. And we run at around 90% occupancy levels (way above the industry average) This wouldn't happen if we were not providing great standards at reasonable prices.

Thanks

Reviewed 5 August 2013

The staff at this inn were very pleasent and helpful during our two night stay. However room 3's bed was like sleeping on a bag of broken crockery, they did however move us to room 6 which was slightly better. The rooms are somewhat small (so don't take your cat to swing around) but reasonably clean and the showers are pretty good.
We ate in their restaurant on both evenings and had their breakfast each morning. The food was good. I think the food and drink however is cheaper in the pub up the road.
The chequers is perhaps a little expensive for what you get but our overall stay was ok.

Could do with a few more sofas in the bar area.

They must also remember to close the fire doors at ground floor level on this single staircase building.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a fan for your room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ScoutPettsWood

Thanks for your review.
It seems that, overall, your stay was pleasant.
Please accept our apologies for the mattress in your room.
I have asked my manager, Ross to replace this and can confirm that a new, quality mattress is on it's way.
Best Regards

Reviewed 17 July 2013

I spend a lot of time away from home on business and fancied a change from the normal chain hotels I normally have to use. I picked the Chequers, in its quiet village location, after reading some of the reviews on here. I will start with what I felt was the down side. When I first arrived I was a little taken aback, the décor is pretty dated and shabby, certainly not shabby chic, and the carpet leading up the bedrooms was old and very grubby. It’s hard to miss the chipped paintwork, scuffs along walls and some rather knackered old furnishings. The bathroom was cramped, mainly because a large bath had been shoe horned in rather than just a shower cubicle. The upside is the area is quite peaceful, it’s close to Oxford (20 min drive out of rush hour) and there is ample parking. The staff were pleasant and helpful and the food was good. There are also some reasonable restaurants and pubs close by at Eynsham if you do fancy something different. Despite being a bit of a relic my bed was comfortable and I had an extremely good nights sleep. The pub part of the Chequers is in better order than the accommodation, with a nice restaurant area and lots of character features, especially the stone floor. I spent a couple of pleasant, mellow evenings sitting outside with a pint and a book and just let the world drift by. Can’t do that in a lot of chain hotels can you? Free Wi-Fi is included and available throughout and that is a good deal when you consider the extortionate charges some hotels levy for this service. I understand the Chequers changed hands around a year ago but I’m not too sure just what has been altered during the interim period and what the future plans are. The previous reviewer mentioned the price of the room but I wouldn't consider it 'massively overpriced', I paid £85 for a single, which is probably just a little on the high side given the condition of the room, somewhere like a Premier Inn might be a little cheaper but then you are often nailed for extras like parking, high bar charges and internet. However, bottom line, with a lick of paint, some new carpets and a bit of imagination it has the potential to become a very nice boutique hotel and would be well worth the money. I will be coming back on business and I will stay at the Chequers again. I will be interested to see how things progress.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Many thanks for your nice review.
We hope you stay with us next time you're in Oxford

Reviewed 16 July 2013

We paid £110 per night for a 2-night stay which was booked 6 months in advance. As a famly of 3 we were allocated Room 8, a "family room", in the attic. The experience simply did not justify the price; something I explained politely to the manager on checkout. There was no discount forthcoming - not even one pound - despite my gentle request, hence forcing my reluctantly placed negative review here.

For £110 per night in a village pub, I have a right to:-

* A shower in my en-suite - given that the website makes a big thing of one former guest's amazing shower experience (Room 8 has no shower facility installed at all)
* A room with a permanently dedicated, adequate, workng fan - or an aircon unit of some kind; not least when it is high summer in a loft room with hardly any ventilation
* Enough space to stand up in when not in the centre of the room. I'm only 5'9" and I struggled with the low ceilings in Room 8
* Bath taps whose base doesn't swivel almost 360 degrees. This is just basic attention to detail, especially when the bath is your only option
* Not be woken up by local youths - allegedly from the village's other pub - shouting and swearing whilst sitting at the A-Frame tables at 2:30am (a situation not helped by us having to leave our window open)
* Expect provision, at this price, of fixtures, fittings and even toiletries that are not sourced from budget suppliers. Big prices demand a premium experience - including beds where you can't feel the springs when applying minimal pressure

On the plus side, the housekeeper did all she could to enhance our stay and helped in any way possible. The accommodation is clean and the breakfast options are adequate for a B&B of this small scale. The restaurant and menu looked appealing, to be fair - that is clearly the focus of this establishment.

I understand that further improvements are planned to the accommodation. I don't want to deride Chequers Inn, but quite frankly £110 per night is a complete rip off, even for Oxfordshire, when other better known options are available at 2/3 of this price within a few miles.

If we had paid below £80 per night for this, I'd be putting it down to experience. As it is, I feel like I have paid an extra £80 for the stay just to say I've stayed in a quaint looking Cotswold stone building.

What a shame!

Room Tip: Insist on a shower and - on arrival - a working fan.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Croxleyrebel

Many thanks for you frank review.
I will reply with bullet points as you have reviewed.

* Our website clearly states that rooms have a bath AND?OR Shower. Please, if you stay again, request a shower and we will do our very best to accommodate. We plan to add showers to the 2 without in January.

* Your stay was right at the height of the heatwave. It was hot everywhere. We tried to get fans but everywhere had sold out. Again, they will be in all rooms as soon as we can buy some.

* Our rooms have character. They are not square boxes such as Premier Inn (Which would have been a similar price PLUS breakfast)

* The bath taps have been tightened.

* I am sorry about the local youths. This was a little out of our control but I have asked the staff who live on site to be a little more aware of the external noise.

* We source our toiletries from a major specialist supplier. It's true, they're not Molton Brown but we feel they are of perfectly adequate quality for the rates we charge.

I am pleased that Sue looked after you, she is a real asset to our business.
I bought the Chequers in late 2012 and have made lots of big improvements. It's an on going project though and, starting early in 2014, we plan to upgrade and refurbish the letting rooms.

Our rates represent great value for money in Oxfordshire and this is evident as we run in excess of 90% occupancy - way above the industry average.

We sincerely hope that, on your next visit to Oxford you will try us again.

Thanks

Tony

Been to The Chequers Inn? Share your experiences!