“Average self-catering holiday”

Las Lomas Village
Weybridge, United Kingdom
“Average self-catering holiday”
Reviewed 10 February 2012

We visited Las Lomas Village at La Manga Club in August 2011 (I wrote this review then but for some reason totally forgot to upload it!).

We always knew that La Manga was primarily a golf and tennis resort but we had also been led to believe that the facilities there would make for a great family holiday and whilst it was by no means terrible it was not the holiday we were looking for or had been expecting.

Prior to booking the holiday whenever I searched for ‘La Manga’ various websites offering vast arrays of accommodation in various locations popped up but not knowing the resort I had no idea whether the accommodation was in what I imagined to be the resort or just in the general area! I, wrongly, assumed that if I booked a La Manga Club accommodation it would be centrally located within the resort. I never dreamed that non La Manga Club accommodation would be located closer to the amenities than some La Manga Club accommodation. Incidentally, whenever I went onto the La Manga Club website it only offered me Las Lomas accommodation and not hotel accommodation which I assume is due to us having two under 5s and perhaps they don’t have family or interconnecting rooms rather than there not being availability, especially given I booked almost a year in advance.

Prior to arriving in La Manga we were totally unaware of quite how vast the resort is and how far spread things are. We were, naively, under the impression that La Manga Club Resort consisted of the Hotel, Las Lomas Village, the tennis centre, kids club, restaurants etc in one central location with golf courses, football pitches and other villas dotted around. This is not the case and as such a car is imperative if you intend to use all the facilities on offer.
Las Lomas Village is a separate location in the hills overlooking the North golf course and the rest of La Manga Club (in the distance).

On site at Las Lomas Village you have:

• Two outdoor swimming pools. The larger of the two pools was our favourite however other than the vending machine there is nowhere to get anything to eat or drink. Our children went in the smaller pool once but deemed it dirty and I have to agree with them, it wasn’t as clear as the other pools but it did have a small café. Towels were available at both pools and this was a major plus.
• A spa that includes a gym and indoor swimming pool (caps must be worn) housed in a large building that overlooks the outdoor pool. I had a treatment and it was ok but not the best. I also had another therapist walk in half way through my treatment and that was a bit offputting. The gym looked well equipped and I’ve heard from friends that the indoor pool is fabulous, particularly in cooler periods.
• A café-deli that also claims to be a supermarket but if you want anything other than milk and Hello magazine I’d readjust your expectations. They do offer free wifi though.
• Other food options are: La Pergola bar near the smaller swimming pool; Luigis Italian restaurant which, I have to say, is divine; Chan’s Chinese restaurant (I recommend the crunchy sesame chicken and the Singapore noodles but otherwise we were unimpressed) and the Indian restaurant which we can’t comment on but given the menu offered chicken curry without further explanation I’m not entirely sure how authentic the place is. There appeared to be some kind of ice cream parlour but we never saw it open, in August!

On arrival we were allocated a two bed apartment (though we had booked a townhouse but that’s hardly an issue) and assured that all information we would need regarding the resort was available in the room.

Our accommodation was positioned directly opposite the spa and the larger of Las Lomas’s two pools. When we arrived, the front door was wide open which I am assuming was to welcome us there. All it succeeded in doing was letting flies and bugs into the room that we couldn’t get rid of for the duration of our holiday. Despite information telling you that the rooms are cleaned daily we received 3 cleans over 9 days. Other than the fact that I don’t believe the valances on the beds have ever been cleaned, the apartment was fine. We had an issue with a broken washing machine but this was promptly dealt with. There are a large number of television channels available including sky sports and this was perfect for me. Wifi costs a fortune but if you really needed to connect there is, as I mentioned before, free wifi at the Deli-Cafe. I’m assuming, based on other reviews, that wifi needs to be paid for outside of the café because the signal isn’t strong enough so you’re actually paying for the provision of a dongle but I’m only hazarding a guess.

The promise that all the information you need is in your room was somewhat misleading. For a start half the restaurants within the resort are not mentioned at all, no one, single map of the place shows everything and there was no information on booking golf/tennis/kids clubs etc. We had to source three different maps from different locations around the resort and have them laid out in front of us to work out where on earth everything was. I think there is very much the assumption that it’s La Manga and everyone has been here before and knows the state of play.
Opposite Las Lomas Village, about a 5-10 minute drive away is the centre of the rest of La Manga Club resort. Once there, you have a much larger selection of amenities than those offered at Las Lomas.

The tennis centre is based in La Plaza and has its own swimming pool and poolside bar. This was by far our favourite pool as it was huge, had three sections of varying depths and had the added bonus of the poolside bar for lunchtime munchies. Unfortunately if you want to use this pool there is an €8 charge per lounger and an additional €2 charge if you want a towel. For a family of 4 on their annual holiday this can add a substantial amount on to the cost of your trip.
The food at the poolside bar ‘Splash’ was very enjoyable and the staff very pleasant.
The cost for two children for one day in the kids’ club was €140 so it’s not cheap but, if you are spending your day doing activities or the kids are driving you nuts, it’s probably worth it.

We went to the hotel one day to check out their pool and to grab a bite to eat but after eating discovered that the hotel pool is for hotel guests only, regardless of whether you are staying in other La Manga Club accommodation or not.

My husband played golf one day and thought a round was overpriced and that the course was nothing spectacular (it wasn’t the one in front of the hotel, or the one that has a hole overlooking the sea so the third course but he can’t remember the name of it). On another day he played further up the coast at Las Colinas Golf and Country Club for a fraction of the price and both the course and service received were far superior to that at La Manga.

It’s safe to say that we won’t return to La Manga as everything La Manga has to offer can be found elsewhere and for better value but for those who are looking to book, and are planning to stay in a villa, perhaps consider renting a villa in Bellaluz instead of staying at Las Lomas. Bellaluz is a village positioned closer to the tennis centre than Las Lomas and has its own centre with a swimming pool, shops, bars, restaurants, supermarket etc so may feel less isolated than staying at Las Lomas.

Overall I would say La Manga offers an average self-catering holiday but if you love tennis and mediocre overpriced golf then it will have more to offer you.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank SqueakerMum

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Finnish first
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Stayed for the second time this year. Again, services were very good. Apartment was fine. At times felt that our stairwell outside the flat was a bit cluttered but generally good. Coming from Madrid Las Lomas Village really offers me the best in recreation and rest.

I will be back!

• Stayed December 2011
fareham
Reviewed 26 October 2011

9 blokes stayed for 3 nights and 3 rounds of golf. All 3 courses are excellent with the west being by far the hardest. Top tip, leave your driver in your bag except for 18th. There are practice facilities at the North and South but only putting on the West.
I would stay here even if not playing golf as it's very relaxed and well designed so giving a village feel to it. The rooms were good with loads of english channels on the tv. Plenty of places to eat. The indian is very pricey and Mulligans is only suitable for a beer while watching footy. The breakfast was continental but plenty of it and tasty. Weather was great, about 22-24 which was ideal for golf.
Took 90 mins from Alicante

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Freshwater, Australia
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Stayed here as it read fairly well in TA, and the location suited our touring around Spain. What we found was a tired resort that is clearly well suited to holidaying Brits who just want to play golf during the day and drink beer during the night. Very ordinary and located in the corner of Spain where the Brits have ruined what should be a Spanish experience.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank jrandsk
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 13 September 2011

This was the most beautiful resort that I had been to so far. All the activities provided were so much fun. There are things to do for all age groups. The houses were properly maintained, cleaned regularly, and did not have any rubbish around. The cleaning ladies definitely did a good job and that is why I recommend this place to anyone who wishes to relax and enjoy a nice day in the sun, playing golf and coming back to a house which is left exactly like the first day they entered. An amazing resort and a great accommodation...no doubt...will definitely go there again!!!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
Jaen, Spain
Reviewed 4 August 2011

I would like to make a review on the spa services, not the hotel in itself (I haven't been at the hotel at all).

My husband wanted to give me a nice surprise after an intense and exhausting year overwhelmed with work and stress and he decided to take me to the spa to have a wonderful relaxing morning. What he had heard of the spa was excellent, so being at the time at La Manga, gave him the excuse to take me there.

What seemed to be the beginning of a well-deserved holiday, was a nightmare. Everything looked fine, but I was unfortunate to get a massagist called Lola. She seemed fine, but from minute 0 of my massage I knew she was not good at it. I have received many types of massages by different massagists, and this one was the worst one in my life. At the beginning I thought of telling her to stop immediately (she was hurting me!), but then I thought it would become professional at some point. Unfortunately that was not the case.

I began to feel nervous when she, herself, commented that some clients had complained about her massages and she was asked to massage a client in front of the supervisor. Luckily, the end of the massage was near.

I got the massage four days ago, and I still feel pain in my back, my neck and other parts of my body. And, again, it is not the typical feeling after having a nice massage, and having 'your muscles put in their correct place', if you know what I mean. I can't believe this spa, which is supposed to be among the best ones has such a 'massagist' at all.

When we left the place, we reported the situation to the woman at the front desk (Nuria, her name was), and it seems that other clients had also complained about Lola (the massagist). However, my husband had a completely different experience and he enjoyed his massage with Geli, another massagist who knew what she did. The solution we were given at the front desk was to get another massage but with Geli (the good massagist), but I didn't want anybody else in the place to touch my back or neck. So we were offered a 10% discount from the total amount of my bill. 10% off? Only? I thought it was a joke, but at the time I only wanted to leave the place!!!

I will just drop a line now on the facilities. I missed towels (they only give you a gown), and then a regular towell to have a shower (and what about a towell for the hair, or to get into the sauna?), and flip-flops which were not broken!!!

Anyway, if you decide to go there to have a massage, please do ask for Geli, whenever she can, but don't allow Lola to massage your body. Her massage ruined my holidays and I still regret not having stopped her at minute 0.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pachocha

Travellers are raving about these Los Belones hotels

Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2011

I went with my wife and two children aged 2 and 3.
Loved la Manga and will definitiely be back but may be when kids a little olds. We hirted a car from the local car rental offcie which was reasonable and very economical with diesel.
Fantastic kiddies club - staff, faciltities and actvities the best I have seen. We booked them in for each morning Mon to Fri.
There appears to be less activities for when the children are in school so if you take school aged children in holiday times then there is a lot more on.
Our apartment was massive and we used the large patio/balcony for meals. Fantastic views over the green lush valley and we had a couple of cracking barbacues.
Service and staff are good.
Would advise getting a car - a must as it is so big and spreead out as a holiday centre and it is essential for getting to the beaches and going up and down la Manga strip and exploring the local bays and beaches.
As it was not school holidays a few of the restuants were not open and one swimming pool was close by the kiddies club.
I enjoyed 5 days tennis and would highly commedn the staff there.
One word of warning the prices on campus wer hiugh and instead of a burger and chips type meal costing say £30-40 at home in the Uk you were paying £60-70. Most nigths wer spent £80--120in the resturatns at night so you do need to plan your meals etc.
All in all a gem but maybe when the kids are at school and we have high season holidays will come back.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
#2 of 24 in La Manga del Mar Menor
Las Gaviotas
Las Gaviotas
#7 of 24 in La Manga del Mar Menor

Been to Las Lomas Village? Share your experiences!