“An interesting experience”

Safari Camp Osian
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
“An interesting experience”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Our experience with safari camp Osian was interesting and different from a regular hotel stay. The place is nice - tents, food, entertainment etc. The camel safari was more like a camel ride but Raj Bakshi made up for it by letting us go for it again and also giving us a bonus dune bashing experience. He personally ensured that we were comfortable and went out of his way to ensure everything was fine and throwing in extras wherever he could. Raj was very accommodating and never said no for anything.

Room Tip: All tents are the same
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Az100_11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Edmonton
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Our family of four had a fantastic time with Raj and his crew. I was originally unsure about my 10 and 7 year old sons on a camel ride, but they had the time of their life. The desert safari ride (which I passed on) was an even bigger hit! The tents are well appointed and very comfortable. We had a warm and cozy sleep and found it difficult to leave early the next morning...next time we will have to stay at least two nights! The food and beverages were also very good and plentiful.

It is a beautiful, quiet place that was a nice respite from the busy cities we had visited. We especially enjoyed the entertainment under the stars of Rajastani musicians and dancers. They were very talented; it was perfect.

I highly recommend Safari Camp Osian for your desert camel experience. They were accommodating in every way from our pickup and drop off at the train station, to ensuring that all our needs were taken care of during our stay.

An off-the-beaten-track alternative to busy Jaisalmer!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Rechel A
safaricamposian, Owner at Safari Camp Osian, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor. Your kind words are very motivating and my team at Safari Camp Osian is delighted since I shared the same with them.

We are all so happy that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us, and we really look forward to showing you an even better time on the 2 Nights Safari in the future.

Warm regards from Raj Bakshi and the team at Safari Camp Osian!!!
Mumbai
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

Anxiety... apprehension... doubt... scare... suspicion...

Stuff that I felt while booking a safari and stay at Raj's. The fear was such that I was constantly searching for more reviews, even when we were minutes away from reaching the camp. The lady had never roughed it out on vacation before and the children had near-zero encounters with bugs and crawlies in the sum of all their holidays.

It all started a month back when I was planning the Rajasthan trip. Osian was the only important pilgrimage I'd missed in my years of traveling and I thought of spending a night somewhere closeby to get acquainted (and blessed). Tripadvisor's search strings made it easy and I called Raj. Few emails were exchanged and he was extremely proactive in letting me know all that I could expect. I had my doubts though; most tour operators in India practise foul-play as religion.

However, this was DIFFERENT. From the moment we arrived at the camp, and until the goodbyes were exchanged, my family and I spent the most amazing day one could imagine. Armed with an extremely warm and professional attitude, the staff was perhaps the best one could wish for. We were the only guests for the first 2-3 hrs; despite this, the camp was fully functional with all amenities. The package includes all meals, overnight stay, camel safari, jeep safari and cultural performance pre-dinner. Everything was exquisite and not a single minute was spent feeling ordinary.

The tents look basic, a little worn, but have most facilities one may look for when staying at a desert camp - Comfortable beds, desks, arm-chairs, a more-than-decent toilet and clean, hygienic towels and sheets. Meals were very tasty, grand and customized to suit our taste. The cultural performance in the evening was quite entertaining; the foreign tourists appeared enchanted!

The safari was the best part of the stay. Osian's landscape is mostly virgin and there's sparse population. We had a relaxed time at sunset atop a dune while the children were amused with the camel ride and the subsequent encounter with clean sand. The jeep safari early next day was more elaborate. We spotted some rare fauna and the driver - Bhagwandas seemed extremely knowledgable in his narration of the history of Osian.

This place has it all for tourists who want a generous slice of staying at a desert camp. It is basic, yet mesmerizing. Raj had clearly under-promised and over-delivered. I was amazed with his business acumen, extremely positive intent of delivery, and above all - his efficient staff who are partners in the venture. I'd recommend this place without doubt.

Traveler tip: Spend 20-30 minutes chatting up with Raj. He's a dude!

Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Vishal_Sharda
safaricamposian, Owner at Safari Camp Osian, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor with regards your recent stay at The Safari Camp Osian

It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your detailed feedback is invaluable and most encouraging.
Thank you for highlighting our services at the Camp, the Camel and Jeep Safari. I have shared your feedback with the team. It is a great source of motivation for all of them.

Thank you once again. It was indeed a pleasure to host such a wonderful family.

Warm regards from Raj & Team at Safari Camp Osian.
Aligarh, India
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We visit to osian just to visit desert. We came here to have a camel safari, they have jeep safari also. We went in off season So in the start we didn't find any desert all over there were small plants and all. But the person has taken us far and soon after half and hour ride we can see a place where all over it was desert and on one side there was city It was an awesome view. If you are traveling jodhpur in couple its worth visit, the camel person was very nice providing each and every information he has about nearby

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Namankr
safaricamposian, Owner at Safari Camp Osian, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We look forward to you staying over night with us in the new future.

Warm regards...
Raj and the team at "Safari Camp Osian"
Chandigarh, India
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We stayed in this camp in March, 2013.The camp setting was very appealing, washrooms and other facilities were good. Mr Bakshi was a perfect host. Considering few guests were there, even then everything was provided included cultural song and dance programme in the evening. The singer was fabulous but dancers seem disinterested. Still the experience in itself was great.

On the downside, we think food can be improved, especially breakfast.
And Osian doesn’t have much of sand dunes, so you have to be content with whatever it has. During camel safari only last 5mins you feel like going on real sand dunes. Even in March, it was too hot in the afternoon which makes us quite uncomfortable although we were warned by Mr Bakshi to reach by evening. But somehow we could not avoid.

We appreciate the effort which Mr Bakshi and his team put up for running the camp.
We consider it 'do it once' kind of experience but not something you can go back again and again. The tents, sand, sunset, folk songs with wine in hand and our feet in sand is something we will remember always.
All in all, good camp, worth a visit once.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
safaricamposian, Owner at Safari Camp Osian, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us.
We have made a note of your note on the breakfast. With a new Chef coming in this season... That is going to change.

Kind regards from Raj and his team at Safari Camp Osian!
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I was apprehensive about the 2 day Camel Safari since I am a single female traveling alone through India, but Raj contacted me several times by email and put my worries to rest. He was so great to talk to in person and made sure I felt both safe and welcome. His staff was always there to make sure I had everything including a cold sprite and white linen napkins in the middle of the desert. Again, I CAN NOT SAY ENOUGH NICE THINGS ABOUT RAJ AND THE EXPERIENCE! I highly recommend him and hope others have just as good a time as I did! Thanks, Raj!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank ronnabrody
safaricamposian, Owner at Safari Camp Osian, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking out the time to review us. It was a pleasure to read such a positive review.

I am so glad that you enjoyed your 2 Days Camel Safari experience and the over night mobile camp.

Me and the Camp Team look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

Warm regards...
Raj & his Team at Safari Camp Osian.
Mangalore, India
Reviewed 19 April 2013

After a 9-day trip to different places in North India, my wife and I could easily pick our stay at the Safari Camp, Osian, as the best. We were looking forward to this desert camp experience ever since we confirmed our vacation plan in January 2013. However, we were also wary about the hot summer weather in April. But on the day we arrived, we were greeted by pleasant temperatures that stayed that way until we left. Since we arrived early from Jaipur, Raj arranged for us to be picked up from Osian railway station. Everything from then on was so well planned, that my wife and I felt like some kind of royalty. We were the only guests staying at the camp that day, and that made it even more special. The Jeep Safari in the desert, visit to the locals' houses and the Camel Safari during sunset were more than what we expected as part of the desert experience. The tent was clean and the staff had placed a cooler as well anticipating the heat. Excellent food, drinks and exemplary hospitality became the order of the day. The folk artistes who brightened up the evening amidst the campfire were brilliant. Raj was kind enough to drop us back to Jodhpur next morining, after he realised that we would have trouble on the bus with the luggage we had. A trip to Rajasthan is probably going to be incomplete without a stay at the Safari Camp at Osian.
Thank you, Raj and all the staff at Safari camp for making our stay most memorable.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Harish S
safaricamposian, Owner at Safari Camp Osian, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive review. It was a pleasure to host you and your lovely wife at the camp.
Like I said, you both were like angels who brought us lovely weather in the heat of April.

We look forward to another visit in the future.

Warm regards,
Raj Bakshi & his Team at Safari Camp Osian.

Been to Safari Camp Osian? Share your experiences!