“Our daughter's wedding ... absolutely perfect!”
Review of The Irwin Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lakefield
The Irwin Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Lakefield B&B and Inns
Toronto
“Our daughter's wedding ... absolutely perfect!”
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We spent the whole weekend at the Irwin Inn, celebrating the Paulsen & Stephenson wedding. I can't think of a single thing I would have changed! The entire Inn was packed, with 115 people attending, with almost all of them staying at the Inn. I simply can't say enough about the warmth of the staff, the lovely rooms, and the absolutely delicious food.

Jennifer, who oversaw the wedding arrangements, was completely organized, and yet still flexible enough to accommodate our specific requests regarding the wedding ceremony and the banquet following. She took the stress out of the day for all of us, and from behind the scenes made sure everything worked seamlessly. We can't thank you enough!

Room Tip: We stayed in the lower middle suite of the main Inn building. Our suite was well appointed, had a g...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 8 September 2013

As a travel professional booking many place to visit for myself and clients, The Irwin Inn has no customer service what so ever. The managers comment on the previous review was not correct and I should let you know that they are lying about the entire situation. I am part of one of the guests in that party that she was referring to and I am the one who made the reservation. by no means was I at any point told that We were not welcome there with a 40 ft houseboat, the reservation agent made sure that according to the MANAGER she said that it would be fine to moor our boat at the docks. so a lie is being said, there was no way that we also said that we were going to party, or cook or camp out in from of their hotel. Denis and his staff, were rude as soon as we stepped foot on his run down property, instead he and his staff should fix and repair his place, obviously if high winds are a priority, then maybe some care should be taken in fixing your sinking docks. My money was spent else where on the lake where it was appreciated with wonderful customer service. I guess change is good and I am really a firm believer that Denis and is staff need to make a change and move on from this horrible place that they call a resort inn!

Room Tip: horrible, very run down and terrible customer service
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank spo s
Irwininnkeeper, Owner at The Irwin Inn, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Dennis Irwin here, first of all you are the second houseboat to come to our resort to stay overnight
In the first case people were drinking all night and loud so much so that I had to refund a nights stay to the people in the cottage 30 ft from were you parked. To my surprise you arrived when my policy was no more houseboats. My staff must have made the mistake and I apologize for that
error. When I spoke with you everything seemed to be quite civil, I did not ask you to leave,only
to respect my guests staying in the cottages close by, and to curfew the noise from the boat at a reasonable hour. My observation was a large music blaster,on an open deck on the boat when you pulled in. Resort owners, all of them, work a 24/7 shift all through the summer and I was there when you arrived not at home sleeping as you would have readers believe I am quite surprised that trip advisor published the personal slander in your previous review. I would like readers to know that you were here for only 30 minutes and then left. You did not experience food or service or anything
else that you gave us poor marks for. Finally we do respect the family vacations more than any other guests, that is exactly the reason I asked you to respect them, I had been soured by a previous houseboat experience, and I was not about to have the same thing happen again.

Travellers are raving about these Lakefield hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Our recent attempted stay was met with a very rude owner and staff. We booked the trip well in advance and we were very excited to go. It was clear upon arrival that our family, friends and money were not good enough for the Irwin Inn. If you want your family and friends to feel unappreciated, then this is place for you! We packed up and left! We spent thousands elsewhere and got way more for our money. The Irwin Inn not only needs a cosmetic facelift but new ownership and management too!

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dede1970-08
General Manager I, General Manager at The Irwin Inn, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
As always regardless of the review we thank you for taking the time to post, however we do want to clarify the premise behind your review.
Unfortunately, a mistake was taken in your booking with a summer staff member who didn't realize that you and your guests were arriving by a 40Ft House Boat. Our docking & facilities are not setup for a houseboat - the confusion was made when you booked rooms and noted you were arriving by boat. We often have guests traveling the trent severn system that do arrive by small run about boats and then take our room packages with all of services and facilities. This combined with the fact that we were experiencing high winds and not favorable conditions, added to the Inn keepers frustration when you arrived. We are not a marina, nor do we have the facilities for Hydro, pump outs, cooking aboard etc.. we simply were not the right fit for you & your guests, and had we permitted you stay our other guests who had booked a full package with us would have had to endure looking at the unsightly large boat parked at our docks obstructing their view. Dennis & Patti Irwin have been Inn Keepers for over 35 years, and have consistently exceeded guest expectations when it comes to facilities, service & hospitality and will continue to do so for many more to come.
Acton, Canada
Reviewed 14 August 2013

My husband and I held our wedding at the Irwin Inn on August 10th with 32 people including us. We stayed in the upper middle suite, rockwynn east and west, the garadan, cedarwood and dennis cottage. Our guests were very pleased with their cottages including the cleanliness. The Garadan has a bit older decor, but was their biggest cottage that held the most amount of people and was clean. We were incredibly happy with how the staff treated us, especially Jennifer who helped to set up decorations and made sure the day, even our weekend ran smoothly. Pamela was also very kind, helpful and the staff were accomodating and polite. We were married on the point of the beach and ate dinner on the lakeside deck. We ate the prime rib, dusted pan seared pickerel and the stuffed chicken with cheese and spinach. For dessert for the wedding we had white cheesecake and creme brulee. Our cocktail hour and the BBQ as well as the wedding dinner were very well received by our guests! The shoreline was well maintained and the water was wonderful. The adults and children all had a wonderful time enjoying the tennis courts, ping pong table, water trampoline and our hot tub at our suite. Although the bugs were a bit thick because of the crazy weather we have had this summer there was always places to find some fun and relaxation. Our guests loved the weekend and we did as well. We definitely hope to come back again soon when we have a chance.

Only criticisms I heard from guests would be they would have liked more loungers on the beach area as there were only a few. Also, more variation in breakfast would be amazing!

Thanks again!

Room Tip: The upper suites have clearly the best view. The views from the other cottages were great as well. S...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
General Manager I, General Manager at The Irwin Inn, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Laura S,
It was an incredible weekend. Thank you for choosing us with such a special day - we enjoyed getting to know your family & friends and look forward to seeing you on your 1st, 2nd, 3rd.... anniversaries!
Fort Myers Beach, Florida
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We arrived very late, almost 10 pm. The inn's kitchen had closed for the night. We had been traveling since all day with only a donut and coffee from a Tim Horton's since breakfast. The owner showed us to our room, then re-opened the kitchen and the attentive, friendly staff provided us with a delightful dinner. Our room was rustic, as one would expect from an older lake inn, but it was fine for our needs. If you normally stay at five star resorts, the Irwin Inn may not be right for you. But if you want a nice lake-front inn that focuses on families, has great food and a great staff, then try the Irwin Inn.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
AV8R210,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your visit to the Inn. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay, it was our pleasure to look after your late night arrival - its just what we do! Till Next time - Cheers Jennifer Craig
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 3 June 2013

We(4 Adults and 2 kids) stayed at the Irwin Inn for 2 nights at one of their 2 bedroom suite. The suite consisted of a full fledged kitchen , a decent sized living area and 2 bedrooms and fit us perfectly. There was an outdoor hot tub which we couldn't use to the fullest because of an invasion of mosquitoes. The suite was not "on the lake" , but had a view of the lake from the front door(would have preferred one right on the lake , but before you book find out exactly where your suite is located - on the lake vs lake view) . The suite also did not have an AC (they are getting fitted soon we were told) , but we lucked out with some cool weather. We were also promptly given a portable Fan when complained of the need to cool the rooms down.

We had one breakfast and one dinner at the restaurant there. The menu is limited , but the food was delicious. The highlight of the stay was the complimentary Horse rides they had arranged for my Kid. What a blast he had interacting with the Horses in the stable as well as going on the ride.

Overall i would stay we had a pretty satisfactory stay at the Irwin Inn.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank nachi
General Manager I, General Manager at The Irwin Inn, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Dear Nachi,
It was a great pleasure to host your family getaway, and to meet your new little one (she's darling). Unfortunately, the early warm weather did catch us off guard last weekend, and made for a very muggy stay - this combined with the moisture in the was the "perfect storm" for mosquitoes. I'm happy we were able to accommodate your needs with an extra fan, and that you enjoyed dining room as well.
Perhaps your next visit will be in the summer and your son will get to enjoy all of the other great program activities (including pony rides) we include!
Till next time.
Bracebridge, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 9 May 2013

My best friend and I got a deal to stay here for one night in May. Our log style cabin was clean and well organized: kitchen area, leather sofa, nice coffeemaker, Apple TV and DVD player with movies available, woodstove, deck, big jet tub and comfortable bedroom with two beds. Very friendly reception, walked us right to our room. Gorgeous sunset and the loons called all night. Dining room (and other areas) was dated but a five course meal for $35 was very good. Mountain bikes, tennis, badminton, walking trails were available. Horsebackriding and spa services could be arranged for extra. I'm sure in Summer the water activities there would make it great, although I appreciated that it was quiet for us. The buffet breakfast, included for us, was good too. The town of Lakefield is 15 mins away and very quaint for going through, the whole area is beautiful.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Tammy,

It was great to meet both of you, I truly enjoyed hosting your short visit to the Inn. I'm so happy you enjoyed the simple elegance of a getaway in the off season. I too enjoy the quieter times here at the Inn - but for completely different reasons. I look forward to seeing you both again, and perhaps next visit you might enjoy a relaxing massage or even take advantage of some of the other fantastic facilities.
Till next time....

Jennifer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakefield
Village Inn of Lakefield
#1 of 10 in Lakefield
Viamede Resort
Viamede Resort
#1 of 1 in North Kawartha

Been to The Irwin Inn? Share your experiences!