“Best one”

Ranked #1 of 13 Kalka B&B and Inns
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“Best one”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2013

From telephonic booking to check out, We got one of the best service. The budget hotel near Kalka station perfect for early morning trains. The person named Kumar Saurabh realy impress me. With in half an hour he give me feedback about our booking status. He recommend a restaurant to us which has one of the best quality food we ever had. I seriously recommend this hotel for Early morning trains.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Pune
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013

I had a stay in this hotel as I had an early morning train to catch to Shimla. The hotel is cosest to the Railway Station .The rooms are clean and affordable.I had taken a premier room for 850 Rs. and it had all the basic facilities. All in all a decent stay close to railway station.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012

Location: Main road, close to train station – plus: walking distance to train station is 10 minutes, restaurant and internet café next door, minus: train station and road are loud at night.

Room: Small, not very clean room – bring a sleeping bag or inlet. Loud window and ceiling fan, no “real” AC – room in summer season either hot or loud, bathroom also tiny and rather unclean, bring your own toilet paper!

Service: No reception or any other visible service, but: reliable wake-up service. Cash only.

Value for money: Rather shabby room but very low rate – all in all reasonable, if you are prepared to rough it.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Moritz F
Bombay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

I had made a prior booking into the hotel and as I was expecting the town is very small and hotels even smaller but this hotel despite being small served my purpose just fine. The rooms are clean and nice.Food provided is of A-1 Quality . Overall I thought it would be hard to spend a night in Kalka but it was just fine.Visit the temple if you have time and please travel to Shimla by toy train. Its worth waking up in the morning .

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank SaveshN
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

We stayed at Hotel the Lotus for one night, in order to catch the early morning Shivalik Deluxe to Shimla.
We were first put in a room right on the top floor, a double but quite grim, with no windows, and a close and damp feeling and a bathroom shared with two floors and staff.
The manager did however upgrade us for a 50INR fee (we think we called his bluff when he originally showed us the room but offered 200INR for an upgrade) to a much nicer double with ensuite which was much lighter, with windows and was much cleaner.
We had informed the management that we were going to be leaving early in the morning to catch the train, but when we tried to leave we found we were locked in! We had to bang on doors and run up and down trying to find someone to let us out. On the top floor across from our room we found the staff quarters and finally, after a few trips up and down to get the right key, we made it out on time.
All in all not a bad stay at a reasonable hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gary L
Amravati, Maharashtra, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012

First things first..
This hotel is really near to rail station, hardly 200 mts.
Rooms are good, specially delux rooms. (As I stayed in them).
Restaurant is adjacent, which is good.

Frequent powercuts is a feature here. So I faced some trouble in night, as generator was off (due to overheat as they say) but main reason being lazy servant. Owner was prompt in solving this issue even though it was 3 a.m in night.
Here it goes, so 3* to hotel, & 4* to owner

Room Tip: Take deluxe room as 800 rs is O.K.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Harshal K
Hyderabad, India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

To sum it up, I had the owner tell me to go find another place at 10 PM, when I had landed there with my wife and two kids. That too, after I had paid an advance.

Except for this sour argument, the place fit the bill, and suited me fine.

Room Tip: If you are uncomfortable climbing a rather steep staircase, avoid this hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank udayc

Travellers are raving about these Kalka hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kalka
Honeymoon Inn Shimla
#4 of 111 in Shimla
Hotel Silverine
Hotel Silverine
#8 of 111 in Shimla

Been to Hotel The Lotus? Share your experiences!