“Couldn't pay me to stay there again”
Review of The Summit Hotel

The Summit Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cupecoy Bay
California
“Couldn't pay me to stay there again”
Reviewed 1 December 2011

Power outages, water outages, cable outages, etc., plus no hot water! It all happened while my husband and I stayed there in November 2011. Yes, the view from the property is nice, but one pays for more than a view! And for those planning a trip...do not sign the sales slip until your departure. We departed after only two nights and they charged us for the entire 5. After much diligent assertiveness on our part, we were refunded the three nights, but just beware.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank trooopn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Helena, Montana
Reviewed 3 November 2011

Summit Resort is in a beautiful location on what of the most beautiful islands in the Caribbean, St Maarten. The one nice thing about it are the nice views of the lagoon from the pool deck and the sweet smiling faces of the restaurant employees. However, the main office employees can be sassy and they are not as friendly for this friendly island. When it comes to having internet connection ( I know you are probably thinking "who needs internet when you are on vacation"), when the internet is on, it works well. However, when the internet goes down, it takes them days to get their so-called "IT" people on it. This is a HUGE inconvenience when it comes to having to make new reservations, or check emails, or check your travel arrangements online. When I asked the staff to look into it, they just smile and say they "are working on it". In my experience, I had to get the contact information of the "IT" people myself and call them, when it is actually the front desk's job to do this. The "IT" person did not show up for 4 days and when he came, the internet STILL DID NOT WORK,This is not how a hotel business should run. There are also some weird permanent residents that live on the Summit property and they kind of scared me from leaving my kids at the pool. This is definitely not a good place to stay on St Maarten. I hope this prevents anyone from having to deal with their incompetence when it comes to internet and their lack of professionalism. I will definitely NEVER stay here again and I do come to St Maarten quite a lot.

Room Tip: DO NOT stay at Summit Resort. Look into The Westin on the other side of the island, or The Cliffs if...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank Samuel R
Florida
Reviewed 24 September 2011

I stayed at Summit Hotel in Sint Maarten (St. Martin) recently.

The hotel is located like 10 minutes from the airport on the Dutch side of the island.

The best of the trip was the room we had at our hotel, that was over the top. One more thing is the breath taking view from Sunset beach restaurant at Maho beach when the 747 jumbo jets land at Princess Juliana International Airport. You need to see that if you go to St Maarten.

The Summit hotel is very nice and has the most welcoming staff. The rooms have a complete small kitchen with even a dishwasher! The beds are very comfortable and the bathrooms very clean. You can get a water view room or partial water view to the lagoon (not the ocean).

The only thing that I didn't especially like is that the hotel is located in an area where you cannot find many taxis or public transportation easily. You have top ay US$15 as the minimum taxi fare any where you go. You could walk to a couple of beaches that are located like about a mile (hilly roads) from the hotel, not bad at all either.

If you go to the French side of the island called Marigot, everything changes! People are extremely rude and arrogant, they all want to steal your money making prices double or triple.
There is not much to see on the French side anyway.

This hotel is excellent for honeymooners' or families with children. They have a happy hour by the bar at the pool with excellent local cocktails and snacks.

Rooms have internet connection free of charge if you bring your laptop.
They do a very good job with housekeeping and take care of you. The front desk office is closed after 11 pm.
I recommend this hotel for your trips to St Maarten, a beautiful Dutch island on the Caribbean.

Room Tip: Try to get a de luxe water view room instead of a premium de luxe one, they are very similar.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gringotraveler2008
Praia, Cape Verde
Reviewed 18 August 2011

I'll be forthright up front. I don't like St. Maarten. It is a congested, overpriced and unremarkable place. However, I really liked the Summit Hotel.

The staff is friendly and accommodating. Due to a looming tropical storm, we had to alter our dates. They were helpful and offered great advice.

The rooms are bright, attractively decorated and have well equipped kitchens. Modern TVs have a wide choice of channels. The price was extremely reasonable considering what else was available.

The adjoining restaurant is excellent and of great value. Their barbecue chicken is particularly outstanding and quite substantial. If you have kids, they can swim right next to
the tables while you wait.

I strongly recommend the Summit Hotel. I wish I could say the same about Sint Maarten.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank chetsuabo
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 12 August 2011

We were looking for a quiet place to relax and have as a base for exploring the island. For that purpose the Summit was perfect. No noisy kids or dogs. The room was very spacious with a nice view of the Lagoon. The kitchen was well equipped, but I wondered what the designer of the kitchen had in mind. The dining table was mounted in front of the kitchen table, which made it useless. Nevertheless it was good to have a kitchen as we are both great chefs.
The service was great and the cleanness was outstanding.

The Summit promised free continental breakfast. Maybe we had too high expectations, but the continental breakfast only consisted 2 slices of toasted bread, a small slice of ham or turkey and a small slice of cheese, butter and jam + 1 cup of coffee or tea

Hot water seemed to be a scarce resource but it didn't matter much as we usually preferred cold showers.

TIPS:
1. Go to the fish market in Marigot early in the morning to buy fresh fish, veggies and fruits.
2. Rent a car through the hotel and make arrangements that they pick you up at the airport. the taxi to the hotel cost a half days rent and the agency the hotel collaborates with is excellent.
3. For food shopping go to the french side. On your way to Marigot there is a supermarket called US Market. Don't let the name fool you. Its french with all the goodies in the world you can dream of + US steaks at a very reasonable price. There is also a Casino Express which is very good.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Finn M
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 6 June 2011

I recently visited St Maarten for the first time and stayed at the Summit Hotel. My first impression of the hotel was "Wow...this place is so peaceful and charming!"

The staff was incredibly friendly and didn't hesitate to help with anything i needed. The food at the restaurant was amazing (I highly recommend the salmon) but most importantly, our room was comfortable and cozy.

My friend and I stayed in room #8 and our view was breathtaking. We also had a large sunbathing deck that was perfect for mornings before exploring the island. We had a stove, sink, dishwasher, small table and refrigerator that was great for keeping food we had purchased at the local market. The Summit Hotel is also fairly close to the airport which was very convenient when we left.

I fell in love with the island and will definitely be returning at some point. I won't stay anywhere else but the Summit Hotel because my experience there was so great.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank mandywodnick
Pasadena, California
Reviewed 19 May 2011

I stayed at the Summit Resort for one night in order to catch a flight at the airport early in the morning. I stayed at the Summit because many of the other budget accommodations around the city were booked because of the annual carnival.

While I personally prefer more upscale resorts, I thought that the Summit Resort provided good value for the budget conscious. The resort is located in a very quiet area of Dutch St. Maarten, overlooking the ocean. The foremost advantage in my mind was the tranquility of the resort because of the location - far away from busy streets or other bustling hotels. However, do note that there are no areas of interest to visitors (restaurants, shopping, etc) within walking distance of the resort, so it would be best to have a rental car.

Accommodations were basic, but comfortable. Each room/suite comes equipped with a small dining area, kitchenette, and small living area in addition to the usual bed and bathroom. All rooms have doors that open to small outdoor decks or patios that face toward the bay. There seems to have been quite a bit of updating, as most of the buildings looked like they recently received a fresh coat of paint and many of the room received new doors and windows.

Grounds were basic, but comfortable. There is a a nice outside bar as well as a floating swimming pool overlooking the water. Staff in these areas were very friendly, as were that staff at the front desk.

Again, a decent resort for the cost, and I would recommend for anyone looking for a less expensive alternative to some of the pricier resorts.

Room Tip: Ask for the recently renovated rooms.
  • Stayed April 2011
Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa
Mercure Saint-Martin Marina & Spa
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa

Been to The Summit Hotel? Share your experiences!