“Great Vacations At The Summit Resort”
Review of The Summit Hotel

The Summit Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cupecoy Bay
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Great Vacations At The Summit Resort”
Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

I have just visited St.Maarten with my in laws and it was one of the best trips of my life. We stayed for 11 days at The Summit Resort and it was wonderful to be there. Peace, cool, calm, beautiful scenery plus the friendly staff of The Summit Resort added more to the beauty of trip. My mother in law visited first time in August 2013 and stayed at The Summit Resort. And then when we planned to visit St.Maarten in December 2013 she recommended us to the same resort. And after this wonderful trip of 11 days I recommend you to stay at The summit Resort. Owner, front desk staff, cleaning ladies, Ricardo handy man all are very friendly and helpful. We all recommend you to stay at The Summit Resort whenever you make a plan to visit St.Maarten.

Stayed December 2013
BruceSXM, Owner at The Summit Hotel, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear PharmacistHaleema,

I am delighted to read your review of the Summit on TripAdvisor and want to thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts about our hotel. I am very glad your mother in law stayed with us last August and that you all decided to come back this past December. Eleven days is a wonderful length of time to stay but even those with less time will find themselves relaxing immediately in our calm, peaceful environment. I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the Summit.

Bruce Jakubovitz, Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Trinidad
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I spent 5 days at the Summit during November 2013. They were 5 beautiful days - relaxing and comfortable. So comfortable was I that I almost forgot when I was supposed to leave and almost missed my flight.
Nothing to complain about - breathing view from my breezy porch, large comfortable room, friendly staff especially "C" the receptionist.
Sure to return sometime soon.
JosephC of TT

Room Tip: View of the lagoon
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
BruceSXM, Owner at The Summit Hotel, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Joseph17C,

Thank you very much for the wonderful review you posted about the Summit on TripAdvisor. I am glad you enjoyed our relaxing environment, comfortable rooms and friendly staff. It's what we have been delivering to guests for 40 years, since opening in 1973, and plan to continue doing as we move into our 5th decade of operation. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to St. Maarten.

NJ
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We spent 9 great nights at the Summit. The rooms were large and clean, complete with a refrigerator and stove. The location was excellent - 5 minutes to Maho, Mullet Beach, Plum Bay and Bay Rouge (Cupecoy Beach is 2 minutes, but we didn't go). Fat Tony's on the edge of the hotel's property was a welcome stop for coffee, breakfast and lunch. We can't say enough about the personnel at the Summit. All were very friendly and helpful and extremely quick to respond to any requests we made. Very different from other SXM hotels we've been to. It is apparent that the property is well managed and well taken care of. We talked with the owner over breakfast at the hotel's restaurant, who summed up the Summit perfectly..."if you want a 5 star high rise hotel with room service and all their fancy amenities, then we are probably not for you. But if you are looking for a good solid hotel, with great views, a great staff and reasonably priced, than we just might be what you are looking for". We've been to the high rise SXM hotels...we will definitely be back to the Summit.

Room Tip: Look for a second floor front row room.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RJH59
Dear RJH59,

I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay at the Summit and glad I had a chance to meet you over breakfast one day. You've already quoted me in your review so I don't have much to add in this response but I do want to thank you especially for the kind words you wrote about our staff. Our location is incredibly convenient, our view is magnificent and our rooms are large, clean and comfortable but, above all else, it is our staff that make the Summit such a wonderful place to stay. As you noted, they really make a difference in the enjoyment of your stay and I appreciate you taking the time to include that in your review. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Summit on your next visit.

St. Catharines
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Just returned from our 17th trip to the Summit Resort in St. Martin. Once again we found the place in great condition with new sofa beds in the time share units. According to the owner who was there at the same time, more upgrade work is planned. The on site restaurant was again a welcome feature with a good menu at very reasonable prices. The staff are very friendly and while we were at the resort one staff member celebrated her 40th anniversary as a staff member. This suggests good working relationships between management and staff. The Summit is within walking distance of a new little grocery and convenience store (right next to the medical university) as well as another short walk to the Atlantis Casino. For more shopping, Maho is just about a mile away (a good walk in the day time but don't try it at night).

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean front room with a view of Simpson Bay Lagoon and looking towards Anguila.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank steinman_12
Dear stein man_12,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review you posted about the Summit on TripAdvisor. Has it been 17 years already? Here's to another 17 years, and more, in good health. You are a part of the Summit family and part of what makes the hotel such a special place to so many people. It was Miss Mena who celebrated her 40th work anniversary with us while you were here and, as you know, she is one of the gems of the hotel. I'm glad you like the new sofa beds in the rooms and look forward to your reaction to this year's improvements next time you visit us.

Lake Forest, California
Reviewed 26 November 2013

After a long flight from the west coast, we were welcomed by very polite staff. We were road worn and needed food and rest immediately. We were shown to a nice, clean studio with a view of the lagoon, pool and restaurant/bar. (Everything we needed) The hamburger at the bar was the best on the island. We slept like babies on a very comfortable bed. We own a timeshare at one of the best resorts on the island, but I would rather stay at the Summit.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the lagoon! (2B)
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GAM1949
Dear GAM 1949,

Thank you very much for your kind words and the great rating you gave us on TripAdvisor. I am very glad we were able to provide you with the rest and relaxation you sought after your long trip to our beautiful island. I'm glad you enjoyed the burger too! I appreciate that you own timeshare elsewhere on the island but want you to know that you are always welcome back at the Summit anytime. We will be happy to have you stay with us again.

new york
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Our vacation at the Summit Hotel was a wonderful experience! The staff was very friendly and helpful, especially the owner, who gave terrific recommendations regarding which restaurants and beaches to visit. We felt like we were being treated as if we were old friends or family, not just as guests. The rooms were very comfortable, large, and clean. The well-equiped kitchen was great, as we cooked and ate breakfast in our room every day, dining on the balcony with a gorgeous view of the lagoon. The bathroom was clean, with excellent water pressure in the shower. The grounds of the hotel were beautiful and well-maintained. We especially enjoyed the pool,which was never crowed, and again had excellent views of the water from the adjacent deck. We did not have the chance to eat at the restaurant, but we heard from other guests that the food was delicious. The location of the Summit was perfect as well,and was close(but not too close) to the airport, and we were able to walk to Mullet beach and drive easily to other nearby beaches. I would highly recommend the Summit to my friends and family. We would not stay at any other place. I look forward to returning here the next time we go to St. Maarten.

Room Tip: The rooms facing Simpson Bay have an amazing view!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tenniseyeguy
BruceSXM, Owner at The Summit Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear tenniseyeguy,

Wow, what a great review! Thank you so much for your kind words and great rating of the Summit on TripAdvisor. We do indeed think of our guests as friends and family so I am glad that feeling came across. It was great to have a chance to meet you at the hotel and I'm glad you liked the recommendations I made for restaurants and beaches. I've got many more to share so you'll have to come back soon! Looking forward to seeing you on your next visit to the Summit.

Danbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We've been vacationing in St Maarten for years and never knew this place even existed. It is delightful and so very laid back - great staff and very friendly guests as well. Some students (and their spouses) from the nearby medical school even eat at the restaurant and everyone raves about the home cooked food.
The accommodations are clean and comfortable - not fancy - but if you want to relax, this is the place. We hated to leave!

Room Tip: Try for the rooms near the pool - they have the best views.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank C M H
BruceSXM, Owner at The Summit Hotel, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
Dear CMH,

Thank you very much for your kind words and great review of the Summit on TripAdvisor. People do say that we are the best kept secret on St Maarten but I am delighted that you found us anyway. We are indeed laid back, as you describe, and we think we provide exactly what so many people are looking for on vacation. A quiet, peaceful place to relax that is close to everything. We were honored to have just been featured in USA Today newspaper in an article on the best places to stay in St Maarten on a budget. Clean and comfortable describes us to a T, not fancy but not pricey either. Just a warm, welcoming place to stay with great staff and guests who have been visiting us for decades. I hope we have a chance to welcome you back to the Summit sometime soon.

Bruce Jakubovitz
Mercure Saint-Martin Marina & Spa
Simpson Bay Resort & Marina
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa

Been to The Summit Hotel? Share your experiences!