“A Motel and Definitely Not a Resort”
Review of The Summit Hotel

The Summit Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cupecoy Bay
Aliso Viejo, CA
“A Motel and Definitely Not a Resort”
Reviewed 31 July 2005

The Summit is not quite a one star motel. We needed a hotel near the airport as we were only staying one night on our way to St. Barths. We arrived late and were given room #17B - a loft type with very steep stairs to access the room - very difficult with luggage. The bed was awful, the a/c very noisy and the room did not appear very clean. In addition, some lights did not work. Very overpriced at $110 USA (plus taxes); the room was not even worth $29.99 per night. The front desk staff only did the minimum they were required and at their own pace. I am so glad we only had to stay one night - I would never stay here again. The complex is also a timeshare - which I would NEVER recommend to anyone. Cut your losses and stay elsewhere!

• Stayed July 2005
4 Thank Linda H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Maryland
Reviewed 10 April 2005

We were a little skeptical about the Summit after reading some of the reviews, but we were very pleased with our experience. We traveled with my parents and our 7-year old son. The staff was extremely accommodating and courteous. We stayed in a waterview room with small kitchen and the view was fabulous. There was always a breeze and we also enjoyed using the pool. Some of the rooms do need to be upgraded and the stairs to some of the units are pretty steep if you're an older person, or have small children. The folks who run the Kissing Fish Bar and Restaurant couldn't have been more accommodating and the food was wonderful if you are looking for something simple, but good. Each morning we were greeted with coffee and smiles and by the end of the week we felt like part of the family. Chloie and Thiery are wonderful folks and anyone visiting the resort should stop in and see them. Happy Hour at the bar was great and we met many great folks! All in all we were very satisfied and plan to return next year.

The DiSilvestre Family

Stayed April 2005
4 Thank SueDMaryland
Reviewed 11 March 2005

I have visited the Summit for the past two years spending several months there altogether. The hotel is unique and has a personality of its own. Like the other reviews I confirm it is not a cookie cutter hotel where you are just a number, its a special place that feels like home. No hotel is perfect but this hotel has recently undergone a 400,000.00 renovation!!!!! It is a wonderful place to get away from it all and experience a truly authentic, Caribbean type of hotel. Bugs are a fact of life in any tropical climate and from the many other islands and hotels I have visited in the past the Summit does a spectacular job at keeping the insect situation under control. The hotel is private, secluded, tranquil and the rooms are wonderful. The standard rooms are nice but obviously not as nice as their deluxe rooms...the standard rooms offer a clean and basic place to stay for less damage to your pocket book. The deluxe rooms have full kitchens and many of them have the best water views on the entire island. Overall the hotel is really an exclusive place for discriminating and original tastes, welcoming everyone but meant only for the really cool and laid back people looking for a relaxing adventure, not a stuffy, huge high rise hotel! The staff is the friendliest and most helpful staff I have ever encountered. Definitely a great place to vacation! I am sad that they are no longer selling timeshares!

• Stayed February 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles
Reviewed 9 February 2005

If you're looking for something more than a Motel 6 type hotel, this is not the place to stay. They are bungalow type buildings...a sliding glass door is the entrance to your room. Looks like something from the 60's. No view of the ocean from the room. Very small bathroom, little desk, 2 full beds and a sofa area in a room the size of a large bedroom. I was very disappointed compared to many of the other resorts that I've stayed in on St. Maarten. I really wanted cooking facilities too so I checked out upon arrival (unfortunately lost my pre-paid deposit)...and checked into Mullet Bay Towers. Night and day between the two.

12 Thank lagunagirl35
Reviewed 23 August 2004

We only stayed at the Summit one night. I needed to go one day earlier and my hotel I booked a week with had no openings for 6 people. Now I know why I had no problems booking there! We had two rooms and they seemed pretty clean but when I opened the cabinet under the bathroom sink the next morning looking for soap, there was a huge dead cockeroach laying on its back. I had an upstairs room (they are 2 floor bongalows) there wasn't any light to turn on to see to walk up the stairs. The pictures I looked on hotels made the place look very pretty. They must of been taken when it was first built and they just put the water in the pool. I thought it was a bit run down and the pool water was very foggy looking. In all fairness to the hotel, the people working there were very friendly and helpful.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 July 2004

Contrary to other reviews, we thought the Summit was wonderful. Not a 'cookie cutter' hotel, but full of charm and with wonderful views over Simpson Bay. The room was clean and spacious and the staff were helpful (although go to Summer Set car rental down the road for a cheaper deal than staff offered with other companies). Thiery, the French guy who runs the restaurant with his wife, is the most cheerful man I've ever met, and not surprisingly given the laid back, welcoming atmosphere...

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 May 2004

I just got back from my honeymoon, which was spent at Summit. I thought this hotel was a great place to stay. Our unit had a great view of the ocean, was clean and spacious. It's not the most luxurious hotel to spend time in, but we were out and about at all the different beaches and resturants most of the time. The Summit is in a great location, close to the French capital of Marigot and Simpson Bay and the Maho resort and restaurants as well. The service was good at the hotel, our only complaint was that they were not helpful trying to help us find a sunset cruise to take, claiming they had no information on it.

Overall, a relaxing and private place to stay with great views of Simpson Bay.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Grand Case Beach Club
Grand Case Beach Club
#3 of 8 in Grand Case
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort

Been to The Summit Hotel? Share your experiences!