“The place is comfortable and the staff is friendly.”

Sapphire Beach Club Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cupecoy Bay
Reviewed 10 August 2013

The hotel is really nice. The rooms are spacious and always clean. The pool is big and there is a lovely little pool for kids. Easy transport to and from hotel and beach. Will visit again fuh sure. Its lovely for couples as well as families. Love the little shop downstairs.

• Stayed: April 2013

Reviewed 30 July 2013

This resort is not clean or kept in good repair. The staff at the front desk appear disinterested, but are probably tired of making up excuses for all the insufficiencies. We arrived, checked in promptly and proceeded to our condo. The door was open, the room wasn't clean: food in the refrigerator(and it was rusted), beer bottles outside on the patio, no towels, dirty floor and it was musty and warm in the room...sigh. I thought perhaps the room hadn't been used for awhile. I called the front desk. The housekeeping supervisor arrived in minutes, apologized that the housekeeper hadn't finished cleaning the room(we were not an early check-in, actually, we arrived 2 hours past check-in: 6pm-ish. She cleaned the room. That night, the room never got cool, the smell did not dissipate. I called the desk again the next morning & they said the air conditioning was out and the AC repairman was on vacation...I offered to call my AC guy from Tennessee if they'd buy his plane ticket. The AC was out in the entire resort and they couldn't tell us anything else. Our bed pillows were mildewed and the room continued to smell moldy/mildew for the remainder of our stay. The pillows were mildewed! They said they didn't have anymore pillows and couldn't give us plastic to put them in. The booking company said there were no other condos available for us to move to. There was "gossip" that they were under new ownership, but reliable sources told us that the resort hadn't been sold but WAS for sale. We had a kitchen with no linens, no paper towels, no soap. We couldn't get clean towels more than every 2 days(if it hadn't been so hot and musty it wouldn't have been such a big deal) and we never saw a wash cloth or a hand towel the entire week. Beach towels? HA! Took us 3 days to get fresh ones. The pool was dirty.
I met people on this trip who had stayed at the resort repeatedly for many years and been satisfied until the last few years. I've met people on previous visits who have been satisfied & faithful to this resort. I appreciate that. I've stayed at most every resort on the Dutch side of SXM and they are not all 5 star, but nothing like this. I've had air conditioning go out, had my room flood, been without hot water...I can handle those things-especially when there is some sort of resolution in sight, but this resort had no game plan whatsoever. The upside? A great restaurant and bar(independently owned) That is all. I realize that everyone has a different idea of "acceptable," but let me just say that my friend who was with me on the trip has been sick and missed work for almost a week and can't return to work for another week d/t a respiratory infection from the mold/mildew in this resort. Why didn't I get sick? I stayed with some friends I have who live on the island. My friend decided to stay in the room since we paid for it...
After I got home, I called my booking company and explained what had happened. I expressed that I was upset they couldn't find us another place to stay on the island. They were eager to give me compensation and perks on future trips. I strongly recommend that if you encounter what we did, call your booking company and ask for another resort and compensation.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor, stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank SassyRedGal
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Reserved two rooms but upon check-in, one room was not ready (house-keeping had not cleaned up after last guests had left) and a/c and fan to second room was not functioning. Both our parties were moved to different rooms, which were no better (a/c did not work well) and the air quality in the rooms was poor (moldy, musty scent lingered the whole week we were there).
Hotel staff was indifferent. Santana at least tried to humor us, listened to our complaints and apologized as best he could. The other front desk guy spent his whole time texting and one morning did not even answer the phone. I had to leave my room and go down to ask him a question (he was still texting). The hotel has an issue with shortage of towels. I never did find out who the house-keeping manager was???!!! I suggest you either bring your own towels, go au naturel during your vacation or take a quick dip at Mullet Bay because you will wait a life time for a washcloth! The staff at Oreo 22 (hotel restaurant) and mini-mart are independently owned are great! Over-all everything we did outside of the hotel was great. Our only issue was with Sapphire. Fyi, the resort is no longer Wyndham owned and yet it is advertised as such.

2  Thank Bebot
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Reading previous reviews I thought, it can be that bad......so we went......for a good rest/vacation.
I never had such an experiance.
I didn't let it spoil my vacation but can not advice this resort to anyone at this moment room wise.
Front desk staf was helpfull but can't do something for you!
Aircondition has not worked for a whole week, yes it will be fixed, we heard this a whole week, nobody ever came to apolegize/explain ......
Room smells musty/mold, Dishwasher has 2 racks full of rust, Microwave was not working good, electrical stove (1 pit was not working) and you only have 2 pits, 1/4 of all the lights are not working, HOT water tub on the balcony that never had hot/warm unless 12 o-çlock midday due to the sun. Balcony doors that can't be locked, old television in the bedrooms with only 5 to 6 channels.

5  Thank JeMa V
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Unfortunately we are owners at Sapphire. We checked in this past Saturday - could not stay in our owned unit (154) as it smelled so bad. It was strong musty/mold smell. Very unhealthy. We moved to another room, which seem not to smell - at first. While the air conditioning didnt cool/work - it leaked. Drip, drip, drip all night long. We had 3 bath towels on the floor at all times. Outside our door (131 on the third floor) , something kept leaking and towels were on the floor there some of the time. Othertimes my daughter slipped. There was no hair dryer. I took pictures of the broken down hot tubs in the rooms by the pool. Obviously someone has taken the maintenance fees (as well as the two speciial assessments -meant for upgrades) and pocketed that money. There has been NO MAINTENANCE done here in YEARS. We bought preconstruction and at one time this was a great resort. No more. It is unfortunate - we dont even have trading value for this unit. Its garbage! There is only wifi in the lobby - was suppsed to be in each unit - thats why we paid a special $1000ish assessment several years ago. All appliances are 20 years old. Microwaves greasy on bottom. Sowers still leak because they never put up doors or curtains. My family checked out early because we couldnt take the smell. Its a VERY depressing place. Dont spoil your vacation. Go somewhere else. No one cared about our concerns - except Mr. Jose but he rcould do nothing to make it better. We had the same beach towels from Sat - Wednesday becuase there were never any clean ones... The list goes on and on. phone would ring all night long until we unplugged it.... Gardens are overgrown.

Room Tip: Chose another resort. Dont even think of Sapphire.
5  Thank KarenM-2709
Reviewed 9 July 2013

This resort is in terrible condition. Our unit was clean, however the one air conditioning unit dripped all night inside the closet (making the closet unusable), and the other unit did not work. The tub did not have a shower curtain or door and water got all over the floor when you showered. The refrigerator hadn't been turned on and was musty and did not get cold even when turned on. At 3:00 am people were out in the hallway swearing and fighting. We called downstairs 2 times before someone came to investigate. The beach was unusable as the ocean had washed away pretty much all of the sand. We stayed one night and left.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank vacationqueen31
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Traveling as part of a timeshare transfer, my family has come to expect very friendly staff and very good to excellent accommodations. This resort was in serious need of repair. The overall state of the room was very old and run down. In the kitchen: the refrigerator was musty and stained. The dishwasher rack was rusty. The microwave was very old and stained. The bathrooms were almost gross. The tile grout was black and moldy, and none of the toilets flushed properly. The tiled floors were stained and worn down. The staff was even worse. They could not have been more unfriendly, they seemed bothered by any question or interaction. We requested maintenance to come fix a curtain that had fallen and they come once and never returned. I would say DO NOT go here if you have any sense of quality or service.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
#1 of 8 in Oyster Pond
Azure Hotel & Art Studio
Azure Hotel & Art Studio
#1 of 7 in Simpson Bay

Been to Sapphire Beach Club Resort? Share your experiences!