“Sapphire Beach(?) Club 7 day stay.”

Sapphire Beach Club Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cupecoy Bay
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I just returned from St Martin yesterday, and have been trying to best describe this hotel, as it is not a resort, nor is there much beach except for an hour or two during the lowest morning tide. the rest of the day, not even the bottom steps of the "beach "access is above water. To start, the room we ended up with ( the room we originally booked) had a spectacular ocean view, with amazing sunsets! The renovated room offered a full kitchen and ample room to spread out and relax. The housekeeping staff worked hard to make sure guests were well taken care of, they greeted guests, asked if everything was good in the room, etc. They took pride in their work and it showed. I wish they owned the resort, since the owners, who lived on site, did not share the same enthusiasm towards their hotel guests. Yes, you could generally find one or more of them lingering by the bar/bar restaurant area most of the time, they never went out of their way to interact with guests welcoming them to the Sapphire. Our booking prior to arrival was an ocean view room, at check in we were given a room on the first floor with a view of the largest ficus tree I have ever seen, there was no phone, no TV, and plenty of bugs. I went back to the desk to ask for a new room, I was told I had to speak to someone in reservations downstairs. So on my first day of vacation, I'm in the lower level of a strange hotel, as politely as possible, trying to explain that "Ocean View" and "Ficus Tree" view are not the same, no matter how the hotel classified the room. I was told to come back the next morning at 9:30 am for a possible room change. Went back at 9:30, the very nice woman in reservations, told me to come back at 11am. Went back at 11, after attempting to get the breakfast buffet that was included with our stay, only to be told we needed the tickets not issued to us at checkin, and went room viewing with the reservation lady, as I wanted to see what they were going to offer me (maybe something I paid for?). Our room on the 4th floor offered amazing views as I stated earlier ( It was really the 5th floor, as the lobby is floor 0) and was what I had booked before leaving home.
The market in the basement offers basic amenities, coffee, snacks, alcohol and bottel water. This was a definite plus, as the bar food and drinks were a bit overpriced for what was offered, and the Italian Restaurant food was often over cooked and dried out.
We rented a car from Leo at the car rental booth in the lobby, he offered great service at a competitive price. It made exploring St Martin so much more enjoyable.
Mullet Beach is nearby, and you could walk there if you didn't mind the hike.......best BBQ ribs ever!

Bottom line, if you just need a hotel to sleep, and see the caribbean sunsets, this place will work for you, If you would like hot water for more than 2 of your days here, or you would like running water at all, or if you don't want to go to the subbasement laundry room to ask for washcloths or towels after a day at the beach, or you don't mind hard lumpy pillows from 1982, then you might want to keep resort shopping. Would we visit St Martin again, truth be told, We hated to leave! Would we stay at the Sapphire again......well.....not likely.

Room Tip: 4th floor and above, be persistent in your request. Plan to spend some time and effort to get the ro...
2  Thank springerhall

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Rented deluxe studio timeshare. Bldg 1, 3rd floor. Beautiful view of the Caribbean Sea from the balcony. That, fellow travelers is it. Yes, the new owners are on premise, and yes, the bartender Dennis is personable and accommodating. The resort is a short drive from the airport, and from the action in Maho. A car is a necessity, because as my neighbors on the 3rd floor said on the first day: "you have to get out of the room". The building is 21 years old and it shows. Maintenance money from time share owners was obviously not spent on maintaining or cleaning these units. On day 1, I bought a bag of ice because the icemaker and ice were filthy. On day 2, I tipped the maid $20 to procure clean pillows and a clean blanket for the bed which was easily 21 years old, as were the appliances, the balcony hot tub, the 13" old TV with one channel, the bathroom fixtures and the scary elevators...On the 3rd day, I tipped the maid $10 to clean the black mold from the A/C vents and borrowed a can of Lysol to take care of the odors in the room. The maid loved me and there were always (just) enough towels. All week long, there were groups of angry hotel guests at the front desk. The free Wi-Fi is available at the bar, and that became an informal meet and beat the daily room horror stories amongst the very friendly time share renters and owners. Eventually, we would just laugh about all the issues. Until day 6 when our only toilet stopped flushing. Ah well, the view was beautiful.

Room Tip: Bring Lysol & tip the maid early and often.
4  Thank wavewatcher
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Pool and bar were the best Dennis the bartender kept us amused with evening programs. Food was good plenty of seating at pool. Lots of nice visitors with time to make friendships. New owners doing many upgrades plenty of parking. I would definitely return. Do not let. Other spoiler reviews turn u away I was pleasantly

3  Thank Diana M
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Can be a great visit or can be a horror. Water can never warm up. Sometimes there are no tvs.s. service is often spotty. However pool is great. Views are magnificent. Visit can be great. Location is wonderful as is equidistant to Marigot and Phillipsburg. A good deal for the price

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 515Doc
Reviewed 17 February 2014

As many others we were concerned and had our timeshare on alert if we needed assistance. We were pleasantly surprised. However, it is a work in progress.
We were in bldg 2 with a beautiful ocean view. This will be the last blg to be renovated. There were some nuisances and no hot water until last day. Staff always addressed any concern right away. The room was very clean.
Bring CASH.
The bar,Italian restaurant,market,salon all only accept cash. Sign for towels early. Request renovated room when possible.
The bar is fun at night with entertainment a few night a week. Dennis takes pride in his bar. Eat at the Italian restaurant at night at least once. Paolo does a fantastic job but only 5 tables so make a reservation if poss. There is no beach left due to mother nature but there's 2 within walking distance.
Bottom line, we will go again. Have some patience and enjoy this beautiful island. Look for Marsha who is a great help with info at resort and locally. The new owners have a great passion to make this you favorite destination but it will take time.
On a side note, we were stuck after flights cancelled to the northeast this week. The owners and the staff did everything to assist with a place to stay for an extra night. Even on a busy winter break week.
Thanks to all of you!
Bruno and Nicole "mille fois merci" !!!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank reillybooth
Reviewed 16 February 2014

After reading other reviews we were concerned about staying at the Sapphire. But were pleasantly surprised. Our room was newly renovated with all new furniture. The stove and microwave were older, but functional. We did not use thee dishwasher. The unit was located in tower #1 on the 5th floor, and the glass doors going to the balcony provided a spectacular view. The spa tub on the balcony did not work, but when told, the resort sent maintenance to fix it, and when we checked out, they were waiting for parts to repair it. The personnel on staff are very professional, but a little more reserved than other resorts we've visited. They did answer any questions, and did meet our needs.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main tower, room #153 which is a large studio overlooking the bay.
1  Thank jkt08
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We came to the sapphire hotel for my boyfriend daughters birthday party first we asked for a two bedroom and they said they only had studios we took it we were told it had a jacuzzi so we was like ok good enough when we got here the jacuzzi was not working the toilet was not working the lamps was not working dish washer was not working no hot water in the room the fridge was filthy we had to clean it our selves no flat screen TV we also had to call for that the staff ugh what to say no manner when I called the lady answered the phone like "yeah" she didn't even say good night I leave it slide when I went with the girls to the lobby for towels the front desk agent told me I was only allowed 4 towel even tho we payed the extra 25 dollars when I had 6 girls With me after that we went to the supposedly buffet and the lady told us we cant eat by the pool side because she had ppl that went with out paying it's ridiculous for u to be paying $290 per night and u get such horrible service this is my first and last time here if u know best book another hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014
The Villas at Simpson Bay Beach Resort & Marina
Princess Heights Hotel
Princess Heights Hotel
#1 of 8 in Oyster Pond

Been to Sapphire Beach Club Resort? Share your experiences!