I just returned from St Martin yesterday, and have been trying to best describe this hotel, as it is not a resort, nor is there much beach except for an hour or two during the lowest morning tide. the rest of the day, not even the bottom steps of the "beach "access is above water. To start, the room we ended up with ( the room we originally booked) had a spectacular ocean view, with amazing sunsets! The renovated room offered a full kitchen and ample room to spread out and relax. The housekeeping staff worked hard to make sure guests were well taken care of, they greeted guests, asked if everything was good in the room, etc. They took pride in their work and it showed. I wish they owned the resort, since the owners, who lived on site, did not share the same enthusiasm towards their hotel guests. Yes, you could generally find one or more of them lingering by the bar/bar restaurant area most of the time, they never went out of their way to interact with guests welcoming them to the Sapphire. Our booking prior to arrival was an ocean view room, at check in we were given a room on the first floor with a view of the largest ficus tree I have ever seen, there was no phone, no TV, and plenty of bugs. I went back to the desk to ask for a new room, I was told I had to speak to someone in reservations downstairs. So on my first day of vacation, I'm in the lower level of a strange hotel, as politely as possible, trying to explain that "Ocean View" and "Ficus Tree" view are not the same, no matter how the hotel classified the room. I was told to come back the next morning at 9:30 am for a possible room change. Went back at 9:30, the very nice woman in reservations, told me to come back at 11am. Went back at 11, after attempting to get the breakfast buffet that was included with our stay, only to be told we needed the tickets not issued to us at checkin, and went room viewing with the reservation lady, as I wanted to see what they were going to offer me (maybe something I paid for?). Our room on the 4th floor offered amazing views as I stated earlier ( It was really the 5th floor, as the lobby is floor 0) and was what I had booked before leaving home.
The market in the basement offers basic amenities, coffee, snacks, alcohol and bottel water. This was a definite plus, as the bar food and drinks were a bit overpriced for what was offered, and the Italian Restaurant food was often over cooked and dried out.
We rented a car from Leo at the car rental booth in the lobby, he offered great service at a competitive price. It made exploring St Martin so much more enjoyable.
Mullet Beach is nearby, and you could walk there if you didn't mind the hike.......best BBQ ribs ever!
Bottom line, if you just need a hotel to sleep, and see the caribbean sunsets, this place will work for you, If you would like hot water for more than 2 of your days here, or you would like running water at all, or if you don't want to go to the subbasement laundry room to ask for washcloths or towels after a day at the beach, or you don't mind hard lumpy pillows from 1982, then you might want to keep resort shopping. Would we visit St Martin again, truth be told, We hated to leave! Would we stay at the Sapphire again......well.....not likely.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sapphire Beach Club Resort is located just 3 miles from Princess Juliana International Airport on the Dutch Side of Sint-Maarten, on French-Dutch border. Situated between the turquoise blue waters of the Caribbean Sea and the beautiful Simpson Bay Lagoon on Cupecoy Beach. 180 spacious guest rooms, penthouses and villas elegantly decorated with Caribbean decor, fully equipped kitchens including coffee maker; with luxurious Italian Marble Bathrooms, Internet access, cable TV, VCR and DVD and fabulous view. Relax in style and enjoy tropical breezes from your private terrace or balcony, with spectacular views of the ocean or the expansive Simpson Bay Lagoon. All the ocean-view rooms have a private jacuzzi on the balcony, and all the luxurious villas and penthouses feature private swimming pools and Jacuzzis overlooking the view of the Caribbean Sea.Enjoy the island’s wonderful beaches . In fact, the resort is within easy walking distance of beautiful Cupecoy Beach, a prime spot for swimming, snorkeling, scuba diving, sailing and other water sports. SBC is nearby golf course and tennis court as well. In just few minutes you can enjoy duty-free shopping at the upscale designer boutiques and jewelry shops of Philipsburg and Marigot as well as nearby hip clubs and casinos. Take advantage of the whole range of hotel services SBC offers to our valued guests:- Open Reception 24h / 24 and 7 days / 7- Swimming pool- Fitness Room and Beauty Salon- Business Center- Bar & Restaurant- Activity Desk- Car Rental Desk. All surrounded by the fabulous mix of Dutch, French and Caribbean charm that makes Sapphire Beach Club Resort a delightful place for vacation all year round. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Ebookers, Expedia, HotelsClick, getaroom.com, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sapphire Beach Club Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sapphire Beach Club And Resort
- Sapphire Beach Club Hotel Cupecoy Bay
- Wyndham Sapphire Beach Resort
- Wyndham Cupecoy Bay
- Cupecoy Bay Wyndham
- Sapphire Beach Club Resort St Martin / St Maarten/Cupecoy Bay