“good w room for improvement”

Sapphire Beach Club Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cupecoy Bay
Pompton Lakes, New Jersey
“good w room for improvement”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

The pool was nice the view was great-but it needs some updating. They should have more than enought owels for guests and not to be stingy about giving them out. The staff was nice for the most part. We did hear they are under new ownership and are working on being better. Dennis at the bar is cool!

Room Tip: Ocean View!
3 Thank Margy M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Friends of ours have an ocean front villa timeshare at the resort. (using the word resort freely) Each year when we return we are hopeful that there will be improvements to the property. Yet again, when we arrived this year for our 2 week stay it was the same problems. Toilets leaked, bathroom window was broken and wouldn't close, minimal amount of pool chairs, once you get pool towels hang on to them you may trade them in and never get any the rest of the week. If you are looking for a cheap place to stay on the island, this is your place. Great location but unfortunately that's it. After staying here since 1995, we decided next year it's a new place for us! It's obvious the Wyndham executives don't spend much time at the property....I'm sure they would't stay a night. Truly disappointing and unfortunate for the timeshare owners. If you want internet, go to the pool bar...otherwise you will have to pay $11 a day or $50 a week. There are plenty of open wifi spots around the property. Don't pay for what use to be a free amenity!

Room Tip: Try a privately owned unit through VRBO. Privately owned units seem to be the way to go at this pro...
3 Thank TLCM1865
London Ontario
Reviewed 9 March 2014

This hotel doesn't even deserve a higher rating then a negative 5!

I have traveled with both RCI and Sunwing Vacations in the past and CANNOT beleive they would offer such a hell hole as this resort. I booked 3 rooms through RCI and my best friends booked 1 vacation package via Sunwing. We were a party of 8 and what an embarrassment my husband and I felt all week for recommending this place!

I cannot even start to go into detail on what was wrong with all the rooms but they all were horrible, just read all the other reveiws below for the same complaints. I expressed these complaints with Sharon at the front desk and of course, was given lies and non caring service again expressed below in all other reviews. After getting the same lip service and lies for three days I was finally awarded the opportunitity to speak to Nicole, one of the owners. Her comments were "We are having problems with RCI right now". Needless to say, we had to stay in our hell hole rooms for the balance of the week.

The island is beautiful but no desire to return anywhere near Sapphire again. I feel sorry for all the time share owners wasting their money on maintenance fees. The entire hotel should be burned to the ground!

Room Tip: Don't waste your time, they don't exist!
10 Thank borntotravel43

Travellers are raving about these Cupecoy Bay hotels

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I have visited Sapphire 11 times (my parents have visited 20+ times) and I believe this past trip has been my last. Over the past 10 years, the resort has been going "downhill" due to poor management and upkeep. We are the type of family that doesn't spend much time in the room. We love to go out and explore all the beaches and so the few bugs, lack of hot water and poor customer service in the past few years haven't really bothered us. It's hard to complain when you're looking at such a beautiful view, but this time pushed me over the edge.

My parents have own the Penthouse suite for 20+ years and last week, we found a rat running around the apartment late at night. I understand that buildings have bugs and critters, but the biggest complaint I have is the lack of service. The man at the front desk said there wasn't another room we could switch to and didn't believe we found a rat until we showed him a picture. He was extremely rude and when we asked for his name, he refused to give it to us. After a struggle, we moved to a new room. My parents eventually spoke to the owners and the "new" managers of the building. Apparently there is new management at Sapphire and there are improvements happening. My parents asked me not to write a review because they are sentimental about the resort and hope the new management will improve the place, but I feel it's my duty as a traveler to inform fellow travelers of my experiences.

All of the little problems never bothered me, but since there was a big problem this past trip and I didn't feel like we were taken care of, I would not recommend this resort to anyone. I truly wish the management and staff the best of luck in improving the resort and when they do and I experience it, I will write them a positive review. But right now, my parents pay an expensive yearly maintenance fee and I'm not sure where all that money is going.

In 6 days, we were in 3 different rooms. I made a list of the the problems:

Room #1
1 rat
1 cockroach
AC in 1 out of 3 rooms
No hot water in 2 bathrooms
3 lamps broken (my boyfriend was electrocuted from one of them)
Pool light broken
Toilet broken- we requested it to be be fixed for two days and it never was
2 empty broken hot tubs
No screens on balcony doors

Room #2
Air conditioning leaking onto floor
Bathroom cabinet door was broken off and propped up against the sink
Horrible smell

Room #3
Lack of towels
No phone
Asked to make up the pullout bed three times. Once it was finally made, there were no pillows. My boyfriend had to go down at midnight and ask the man at the front desk for pillows. He refused, but instead gave him a key to another room without and signature or ID to get pillows!
Lamp broken

In general, the staff is unfriendly. One woman yelled at my boyfriend for not returning the beach towels on time. Not something you want when on vacation...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Katie D
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 27 February 2014

My husband and I visited the Sapphire Beach Club Resort last year. It was old and moldy. The airconditioning systems blew warm moldy air into our room. The once proud and bustleing resturant had become overpriced and grungy , run by amatures. I was saddened to see the hotel decline into a such a state. My parents purchased a Time Share at the Sapphire Beach Club over 23 years ago. It was truely a vibrant, beautiful and superbly run resort. During our visit, it was obvious that the yearly maintanance fee that my parents had paid over the years was never used for the hotel's upkeep.Mom tried to "bank" this year's stay with RCI, the Sapphire Beach Club's Time Share affiliation. She was told that we should contact the hotel directly because they were no longer involved ??? The front desk does not answer it's phones! Stay away from this place...it's in trouble.
It's so sad that a once elegant place with gorgeous views has fallen into a rubble do to obviuos mismanagement.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Melissa F
Franklin, Tennessee
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I just returned from St Martin yesterday, and have been trying to best describe this hotel, as it is not a resort, nor is there much beach except for an hour or two during the lowest morning tide. the rest of the day, not even the bottom steps of the "beach "access is above water. To start, the room we ended up with ( the room we originally booked) had a spectacular ocean view, with amazing sunsets! The renovated room offered a full kitchen and ample room to spread out and relax. The housekeeping staff worked hard to make sure guests were well taken care of, they greeted guests, asked if everything was good in the room, etc. They took pride in their work and it showed. I wish they owned the resort, since the owners, who lived on site, did not share the same enthusiasm towards their hotel guests. Yes, you could generally find one or more of them lingering by the bar/bar restaurant area most of the time, they never went out of their way to interact with guests welcoming them to the Sapphire. Our booking prior to arrival was an ocean view room, at check in we were given a room on the first floor with a view of the largest ficus tree I have ever seen, there was no phone, no TV, and plenty of bugs. I went back to the desk to ask for a new room, I was told I had to speak to someone in reservations downstairs. So on my first day of vacation, I'm in the lower level of a strange hotel, as politely as possible, trying to explain that "Ocean View" and "Ficus Tree" view are not the same, no matter how the hotel classified the room. I was told to come back the next morning at 9:30 am for a possible room change. Went back at 9:30, the very nice woman in reservations, told me to come back at 11am. Went back at 11, after attempting to get the breakfast buffet that was included with our stay, only to be told we needed the tickets not issued to us at checkin, and went room viewing with the reservation lady, as I wanted to see what they were going to offer me (maybe something I paid for?). Our room on the 4th floor offered amazing views as I stated earlier ( It was really the 5th floor, as the lobby is floor 0) and was what I had booked before leaving home.
The market in the basement offers basic amenities, coffee, snacks, alcohol and bottel water. This was a definite plus, as the bar food and drinks were a bit overpriced for what was offered, and the Italian Restaurant food was often over cooked and dried out.
We rented a car from Leo at the car rental booth in the lobby, he offered great service at a competitive price. It made exploring St Martin so much more enjoyable.
Mullet Beach is nearby, and you could walk there if you didn't mind the hike.......best BBQ ribs ever!

Bottom line, if you just need a hotel to sleep, and see the caribbean sunsets, this place will work for you, If you would like hot water for more than 2 of your days here, or you would like running water at all, or if you don't want to go to the subbasement laundry room to ask for washcloths or towels after a day at the beach, or you don't mind hard lumpy pillows from 1982, then you might want to keep resort shopping. Would we visit St Martin again, truth be told, We hated to leave! Would we stay at the Sapphire again......well.....not likely.

Room Tip: 4th floor and above, be persistent in your request. Plan to spend some time and effort to get the ro...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
The Summit Hotel
#1 of 2 in Cupecoy Bay
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort

Been to Sapphire Beach Club Resort? Share your experiences!