“I am a owner of unit 341”

Sapphire Beach Club Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cupecoy Bay
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“I am a owner of unit 341”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I own unit 341 and have paid my assessment and maintenance fees on time. I have not been back for a number of years, due to illness, but I returned last week (8/16/14 - 8/23/14). I was hopeful even though many of the recent reviews have been terrible. I can truthfully say it wasn't as bad as I thought, but not as good as I hoped.

There is no longer a welcome party or a band or drinks to greet you as you enter. Although the lobby furniture seems new, it is darker but quite beautiful! It appears to be a tired hotel, rather than a timeshare that used to be the best on the island!

There is a lovely boutique in the lobby with beautiful swimsuits, handbags, and beachwear. Also in the lobby is a wine shop that was not open due to a license issue.

I had daily maid service and never had an issue with enough bath towels, or cooking utensils, dishes, except for a missing pasta strainer. There were no kitchen towels, table mats, or oven mitts, so be careful around the stove. I did ask but never received any unfortunately.

As soon as I entered my unit, there was a horrible musty smell. Since I had read this in the reviews, I brought Lysol Disinfectant Spray, Linen Scent, and sprayed every vent in all of the rooms. This solved the musty smell problem. I brought my own beach towel since I had read none were supplied. Since management knew I was coming, why couldn't they have done that??

Missing was the flat panel TV in the bedroom....one was brought when I reported it missing. But there is no cable service anyway! There seems to be DISH service but evidently this has lapsed. Come with DVD's or a Swing Box so you can watch whatever you want! Be sure to bring cables so you can hook up your computer if you have a subscription that will allow you do watch what you subscribe to from home.

Missing were the two lounge chairs on the big balcony...the superior one bedroom has a double balcony with enough room for a table with 4 chairs, and two lounge chairs, as well as the jacuzzi that only had warm water..not hot. When I asked about the missing lounges, I was told, the balcony never had them! I do have pictures with the lounges there! Oh, but what a view from the balcony!Also at times the balcony had a horrible "sewer" smell! I did complain! I do think that there is a broken sewer line or septic tank that needs to be emptied in the ground below and this is what upset me the most! It made the balcony not usable some of the time!

WIFI is available for a fee, but really troublesome....rarely worked...when you complain, you get a free week, but that doesn't work either....what is needed is a better system, a stronger antenna, and hubs to be sure the signal is received everywhere. This is an easy fix! Not sure why it hasn't been....I have fears that there isn't enough money being generated except with discounted rates that make staying there cheaper than my maintenance....so I can understand why some owners feel it's not worth paying for their week anymore!

I love the memory of what Sapphire used to be and with enough owners dedicated to it's return, it can be so again! Where are all the week 33 owners who used to be there? Please come back...look at your unit! Demand what you expect....and perhaps we can return Sapphire to what it deserves....it can be a jewel again if enough people, starting with management, the present owner and the future new owner, the timeshare owners, the help, although many are dedicated and have been there many years....I don't know why the building wasn't kept up and no one really talks about it, except to say there may be a new owner who wants to see it return to its former glory days. I can only hope....I will give it one more year and then I don't know....but remember you will never have a better location!
There is a beautiful mall nearby...the Maho area is just around the bend,...and beautiful Mullet Bay is a stone's throw away!
I will be back....if I don't see any improvement...then I may have to just trade, try to rent it cheaply, or find someone willing to buy? I paid $ 16,000 for it! Where did all the maintenance fees go?

Room Tip: Bring the Lysol Spray to remove the musty smell....bring your own beach towel....and be sure you fac...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank fillyfromPhila

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Southampton, New York
Reviewed 24 August 2014

As a timeshare owners we have no one to truly represent us. A few years ago while I was at the Sapphire on vacation, a gentleman approached us during "welcoming night" asking us to sign a petition, and explained that he would be taking his personal time to reach out to local tourism agency/meeting with Parliament requesting local support for timeshare owner who are having lots of concerns and do not a true voice living in the States, only to return ON VACATION to discover our units are not maintain but yet" their policy" states we are forced to pay our maintenance fees, but find our units worst than the previous years.

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY in the old building 2 unhealthy mildew/mold Building 3 might be better and if you are st...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank MsB777_12

Travellers are raving about these Cupecoy Bay hotels

Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We have just returned from this "resort" after a 10 day stay. This was not our first time here, however it will be our last! Every other time, we were in a villa and made excuses for the condition. This year we were in one of the condo units.
Upon checking in, we were assigned to a fairly nice looking unit in building One. Immediately it was obvious that the air conditioning was not working. Called the desk, waited, waited, and finally went to the desk. After talking to the repair man myself, I knew that there had never been a call made. I insisted on being moved. So now, we drag our luggage down an elevator, across the lobby, to another elevator and to our new unit in the main building. Never was a luggage cart offered. I say this, because, after returning form the grocery store, the security guard offered and found a cart....the rest of the desk staff just watched.
The unit was clean enough. No dining table, just a counter. There was a lovely view from the balcony that had a small hot tub. I seriously doubt that the water is ever changed of treated. There should be some sort of chemical smell to indicate a treating agent. Nice idea, but No Thank You! Accommodations for six people, however we had 2 spoons, 4 forks, 1 knife and hardly any cooking utensils. The mattresses and sofa were beyond uncomfortable! One TV station for 3 days, no TV for 2 days. Internet at $49.95 per week per devise working in exactly one spot in the unit.....sometimes.
One functioning elevator in the main building for 9 floors, leaking ceiling in the hallway the entire time. The odor is a cross between dampness and God knows what else.
Oh, and finally, the idea of customer service never crossed most employees minds. Cross between rude and indifferent.
Think long and hard about this resort!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Linda M
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 August 2014

My wife and I stayed at the sapphire at the end of June through the 5th of July. We have a timeshare membership and payed 7 hundred for the week. Our room was a great size with a beautiful view of the ocean, a unheated whirlpool tub on the balcony and comfortable bed and usable if dated kitchen. We had read a number of harsh reviews so kept our expectations low, but heck we are in st Maarten minutes from great beaches casinos restaurants, shopping ect.ect. Rent a car and get to the grocery just past the blue mall, spent 35$ us and got a bunch of snacks, french wine, cheese, water and beverages that lasted us through the week. Great restaurant Fidel Y Hemmingway with awesome live music and food. Best beach by far is Bay rouge just 5 min by car. Perfect half mile cove of crystal blue waters and a few cabana bars and chair umbrella and drink service. Excellent snorkeling and devils cave, don't miss the turnoff barely marked.
The Hotel is dated with weird decor and overall musty smell, but its not bad, I turned our air to lowest setting and had fans on and were completely comfortable. There is no longer any beach in front as it has apparently washed away after a hurricane a number of years back. If your adventurous though you can swim around after walking down the steps that lead directly into the ocean and swim around rocky ourcropping to a private beach in front of the mall. I found a 10 inch conch snorkeling around the area. The housekeeping staff was great letting us sleep in and still getting to our room every day, never had a issue with towels or anything else. Wifi is slow and will cost you 30$ we got international service through verizon for 25$ and were able to use gps to get around the island which was very helpful as roads are not marked well. Its fun driving though as there are no stop signs or lights just round abouts and speed bumps. Long story short this is not a place you want to have an all inclusive, get out and about, enjoy the beautiful island, great food and entertainment. Use the room to cleanup, make some eats and get some rest for the next adventure.

Room Tip: Go Higher for the views
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Daddycooks
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We booked RCI so I usually am mostly satisfied since they tend to keep a standard of quality.
At first we were pleasantly suprised, I booked a two bedroom and we were sent to the lower part of the building which are villas. Beautiful layout, Very large, 3 oversized bathrooms and two huge bedrooms upstairs! The shock was we got our Own pool! Also, private parking!
Negative, there is no beach. You need a car. Staff is horrible and Really Rude.
Bad part, the storage for the garbage from the whole hotel is right next to the villas and is horrible smelling. Then the second night, lots of Huge roaches appeared downstairs at night. I called the office and they said they would send someone. No one came. Next day, we got back late and I complained... the front desk handed me a can of Raid. HANDED ME RAID!!! I was so mad, I demanded the manager. They said he couldnt come because he was at the BAR!!! I caused such a scene that he finally came. He offered to spread powdered poison all over and clean the dead roaches in the morning! I have small children! Finally, he put us in another villa. Thank god I took the can of raid because roaches appeared that night.
The resort (cough) has new owners so I would wait until they finish renovating. And get a real manager.

Room Tip: Wait until renovations are done.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank susan s
Yonkers, NY
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My wife and I enjoyed our return to the Sapphire in Unit 360, the Supreme 2 bedroom/2 bathroom, ocean view unit. We were happy to be moved into 360 before our arrival given our usual Junior 2 bedroom Unit 365 was out of commission due to needed repairs. We had an additional balcony view that gave us two ocean views and two lagoon views. The balcony view of the ocean is always worth the trip, given it's our usual breakfast view and dinner view.
New managers Nicole and Bruno are working on ongoing improvements involving the replacement of appliances. We look forward to that and other improvements.

The advantages of the Sapphire besides the view include LOCATION. Close to the airport (10 minutes); close to (walking distance) grocery store, Porto Cupecoy with great restaurants (2 French, New York Steak House, Ernest and Fidel (Breakfast.lunch/dinner), Rendevouz (B-L-D) and a great place to listen to live music at night coming from Ernest and Fidel while enjoying the ocean breeze; Atlantis Casino with great rest. (La Gandola/excellent Italian) and others; Cupecoy Beach (clothing optional) and Mullet Bay Beach (one of the most beautiful among the 37 St. Martin beaches). The Sapphire offers shuttle shopping trips to Phillipsburg 2 x's a week and some excursions with Eagle Tours pick up at the Sapphire. Still recommend a car via Dollar/Thrifty based out of the Sapphire with airport pickup and good prices. It was low season so quiet at the resort. Pool perfect and clean. For the adventurous swimming off the Sapphire provides snorkeling, and Mullet and Cupecoy for the beach. Our AC was fine and adjustable.
You can find newer, better, but recommend the Sapphire for location and view. Could not download pictures of the view for this review.

We did not eat at the pool restaurant/grill but an all-you-can-eat breakfast was available for 10.00 and each night offered a different menu. The Italian restaurant is open during the high season, but Italian dishes are still available to order.

My brother and his wife enjoyed their stay last year in 365, and my cousin, wife and his son enjoyed a studio ocean view in a previous visit.

Do not recommend exercise room needs overhaul and new equipment, stay outdoors and swim instead. Unit had washer and dryer but be careful or check w/ maintenance, clothing got caught in dryer.

Great daily room service and towels appreciated.
Any problems call front desk, housekeeping, or maintenance. Enjoy the View.

Room Tip: Ocean View; Building Three (Newest); Higher the better;
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Happiestonvacation
Oklahoma City
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We spent one night, in room 132 on July 9, 2014, in order to be able to get to the airport in time the following morning. Not sure how to describe the decor....70's French Elvis? The walls of the elevator and the room doors are covered in marbly-blue formica. White woodwork with red stripes.
PROS:
Easy to find, lots of restaurants in the area, large room that could be separated into 2 areas by sliding doors, large closet, kitchenette with full-sized refrigerator, dishwasher, nice sized bathroom, great view from balcony, hot tub on balcony, king sized bed and a day bed,
CONS:
The man at the check in desk had a very snarky attitude. My reservation stated that I had free WIFI, he wanted to charge me. It turned into a huge deal to get the free wifi for ONE day, but eventually I got a card. The elevator was stuffy and smelled. Our room smelled musty. The AC was terrible; we could not get the room to cool down.The room was 79 degrees and stuffy. We had both ceiling fans running and it was still too warm. The maids' supply closet was directly across the hall from our room, so we could hear them talking and banging the doors and supplies. The stovetop and burners were filthy and greasy. The in-room safe would not work. I spoke with the front desk and the snarky man said he would send someone up; no one ever came. The toilet did not flush well. We had to flush it 5 or 6 times to get it cleared. The hotel is on the water, BUT there are big rocks and NO beach. You have to go somewhere else to sit on the beach. And finally, our room was on the 3rd floor above the pool and it was karaoke night; so we got to listen to that annoying noise till after 10 p.m.
We got about 30 minutes sleep all night. Thankfully we had an early flight so we could get the heck out of Dodge! All in all a miserable experience.

Room Tip: Choose a room at another hotel!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
#5 of 7 in Simpson Bay
Mercure Saint-Martin Marina & Spa
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa

Been to Sapphire Beach Club Resort? Share your experiences!