“Sapphire Beach Club & Resort” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sapphire Beach Club Resort

Sapphire Beach Club Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cupecoy Bay
Long Island, New York
“Sapphire Beach Club & Resort”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2005

This cozy hotel is real caribbean style. Simple, unassuming yet comfortable. The rooms are large many with 2 bedrooms and 3 balcony's, the one that overlooks the ocean has it's own private jacuzzi. The master bedroom has a large bathroom with a jacuzzi oversized tub that has terrific power. They have a poolside bar restaurant that serves breakfast lunch & dinner. Great grocery store on premises. Small but adequate gym. Beauty salon and spa. Conviently located near French border. Walk to Casino, restaurant & small shops. Music by pool and activities director offers exercise classes in the morning in the pool. The best bafternoon bingo. Don't expect 5 star service. I enjoyed my stay and would definitely return. By the way the beach is not the best feature of this resort.

• Stayed January 2005
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank fernk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Glenwood, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2004

My husband and I just returned from a vacation at the "Sapphire" (as the natives call it). I traditionally come to "The Advisor" to gather information about the hotel and the place I intend to vacation. Let me say that I was particularly swayed towards the Wyndham Sapphire Beach Resort (WSBR) by the description on Expedia. Although, I did not receive the room I wanted with a Jacuzzi on the balcony overlooking the Caribbean Ocean. The room my husband and I were given was nice. It was on one of the upper floors, overlooking Simpson Bay, and had room enough to sleep six comfortably. Like a pouty child I was tempted to go to another hotel since I did not get my room with a view and a "Jacuzzi." Upon checking out the other accomodations nearby my husband and I felt that we would be "trading down," so we stayed at the WSBR. Let me say that "a little" of what all the reviews have written is true. I will not dwell on the "negatives." but will say that Eunice at the front desk at the WSBR is a "true professional." Thanks Eunice.
Although, the beach at the WSBR was almost "non-existent" there are plenty of beaches nearby to enjoy.

4 Thank OntheGoCyd
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2004

This property continues to suffer from management that could careless about the property. I would never stay here but my partner has invested in a Villa timeshare so it great for free.That about what its worth. This timeshare seem to lack enough money to keeps the rooms up to date. Broken doors,broken TV, fridge that dosen't get cold, broken airconditioning that doesn't work, yes they will send the repairman as many times as you are willing to keep calling. But come on at least they can keep it clean and free of the overwhelming mildrew smell, ever here of pine-sol,ammonia and bleach. Believe me they haven't at this place. . The staff is rude and clueless and the activity desk lady , Rhonda, is a big ripoff. Book activities direct yourself as she doesn't save you any money. Don't give her the $20.00 deposit because then you are charged full fare when you arrive at your activity. The hotel say they only rent space to her.! Right!Get away early and experience this beautiful Island and its Great food and beaches.The French side is outstanding and they people are lovely. If you just want a place to shower this would be the place. The Beach is not safe unless you are a very good swimmer, and don't even think about letting your kids in the water at their beach. I dare you to try to get a cup of coffee in the morning at the pool bar and a beach towel, this place is a joke.Talk about a tough place to get some service, try getting a drink from their bartenter.Someone should tell him that they can't make money if he doesn't serve anybody.
Please tell me why the Wyndham is envolved in this property. I haven't seen any improvement in this property since they have taken over.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Cupecoy Bay hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2004

Dear All,
Prior to our trip, many of you made us feel a bit cautious about this property. In fact we considered going elsewhere. Well, we are glad that we did not. The property is in fact showing some age, probably built in the 70's or early 80's. The rooms were very clean, spacious and quite comfortable. Our unit had a new dishwasher, new double door refrigerator and an incredible view of the ocean and of the island of Saba, 27 miles to the south. Each room has a hot tub on the balcony (seats 4), the water is changed automatically every few days but they could do with a good scrubbing. Some of the drawers are old and are a bit difficult to open and close. showers are good, but no curtain, this tends to make the floor a bit wet. But it is really no big deal. If you're a bit pompass or arrogant, this place may not be for you. The service is ISLAND STYLE MON...That means a bit slow. If you take your time (remember, you’re on HOLIDAY!!) and don't act like the aforementioned adjectives you will love this place. The staff truly cares; you have to talk to them and get to know them a bit. Special mention to the young lady from Santo Domingo who works in the store, she was a blast. And she knows her coffee!!! The bartender (from France) Mathew was friendly, informative and really is good at opening beer!! Several days per week, you will find vendors in the lobby selling island goods, they are reasonable and of course, you can negotiate.
Some pointers:
1. Attend the island informational meeting on Sunday. It is worth getting up for. No sales pitches from Time Share hawks.
2 Do NOT BOOK with the travel information desk. She will ask you for a deposit, which is usually about $20.00 per couple. Then you get to your tour/attraction and you will pay the face value of whatever you purchased. The so-called deposit is actually the compensation for Ms NO personality Rhonda. Trust me, call direct, I found you can negotiate with the operators. I received between 10 and 25% off my activities on average. Oh, and she tries to manipulate you with bad facts to convince you to book with her. Not a good reflection on the establishment.
3. Take the pub-crawl on the Celine!!!(Boat cruise on a 40'cat) This is awesome! You have an open bar on the boat, welcome drink at each of three locations and some food with each stop. We had a great group of people and really enjoyed the evening.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2004

My wife and I spent two glorious weeks here in early Oct 04. A fine resort and a great location to reach the French side also (Marigot is about a 15 min drive, as is Phillipsburg in the opposite direction). The facilities are very good, although the private beach is not big to say the least!- Our one bedroom apartment faced the Caribbean sea, and saw some fantastic sunsets. We had a double balcony room with private jacuzzi, which was great, with plenty of space to dine 'al-fresco' in the evenings if desired.

The restaurant although only small, served a good selection of lunch food, and seafood always available in the evenings (sent to your room if you request). Friendly staff always very helpful. Only thing to watch if you're staying two weeks, is to ensure that you do not have to switch rooms after the first week - if you're happy where you are, refuse to move! On the whole, a highly recommended resort.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Wheat Ridge, Colorado, USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2004

Stayed here one night. I am Wyndham By Request member, booked through the Wyndham site and noted that I would be arriving late and would appreciate a late checkout (a standard "WyndhamByRequest" benefit). Arrived around midnight. During checkin process I asked if I was confirmed for a late checkout, clerk told me I would have to confirm in the morning: hrrmmppfff!
Our room was on the fifth floor.
The first thing we noticed upon exiting the elevator was that we could see pipes through a set of silver-finish grids that comprised the "ceiling".
Room was large, clean and equipped as advertised, but showing signs of age : some peeling paint, a lumpy bed (yick), and the sound of water dripping... somewhere...
Jets in the hot tub were vigorous and appreciated after a flight day that began at 8am.
My "ByRequest" goodies were in the room.
Next morning, woke up,
searched through the kitchenette for coffee (there was a coffee maker), could not find any, called front desk and they said they would send some up.
Asked if I could be confirmed for a late check out: told I'd have to wait until 10am to ask the manager.
We showered, dressed, still no coffee.
Decide to visit front desk, see what's up.
Take elevator to lobby, door opens, two *employees* waiting to board elevator standing there... not moving to allow us to exit. Baffled by the local elevator culture, we move back into the elevator, allow the employees, to board and then exit. Go to front desk, ask about coffee, am told that we can buy coffee at the store in the lobby when it opens at, you guessed it, 10am. Decide to go to the poolside snack shack (the only onsite food) for breakfast. No one out there: stand around, help ourselves to menus, and about 5 minutes (really) the waiter/cook comes out.
Finish breakfast, take a look around : decide that there's nothing to do but marinate by a kinda cheesey pool (no beach at the Sapphire Beach Club: oxymoronic, eh?) so we decide to abandon any notion of late checkout and hit the trail.
Checkout process went fine.
After checkout is when we consider our St Maarten vacation to have begun.
I am giving this place one star : I would not go back and would not recommend it to others : there are many other, nicer, better located places on St Maarten with beaches.

7 Thank RickSeaNSki
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2004

I stayed at this hotel for just over a week. Upon arriving, the staff was very friendly. Our room "appeared" to be a really nice room. However, I attempted to open a cabinet and the door fell off the hinges. One night while we were sleeping (we had the ceiling fan going), one of the blades broke off, knocked a light off in the kitchen and slammed into the sliding glass door. We were all frightened. It was cleaned and repaired right away but it was still a frightening experience.

The cafe was ok. They don't offer many choices. I was hoping for more Caribbean foods but the foods were more American.

the hotel offers a variety of activities. That was nice especially if you just wanted to hang around the hotel. The activities director was super friendly and absolutely gorgeous :-)

The beach is tiny and I don't recommend swimming in. I wouldn't call it a beach but rather a cliff because once you step in you will go straight down. The water is also a bit rough so you would need to be a strong swimmer.

We had a good time overall. However, it seems they have a lot of maintenance that needs to be done to improve the overall hotel.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Belmond La Samanna
Belmond La Samanna
#1 of 1 in Terres Basses
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,064 reviews

Been to Sapphire Beach Club Resort? Share your experiences!