“Relaxing!!”
Review of The Ocean Club

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cupecoy Bay
The Ocean Club
CONNECTICUT
“Relaxing!!”
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Just got back from The Ocean Club. Two weeks just wasn't enough to spend in St. Maarten. I was pleasantly surprised at some of the renovations. New mattresses was a big one! Flat screen tv with the same terrible channels available. But who watches that much tv when you have the beautiful weather!! As always, Ken was himself at the bar/restaurant. Great person!! Great food!! The beach was washed away one evening, so you can't walk along the rocks anymore. Still beautiful sunsets!! Just a relaxing place to be if you're looking for a quiet place without all the bells and whistles. Clean and comfortable. Can't wait to get back next year!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Tare1

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Boston
Reviewed 16 November 2011

We stayed a week with another couple, friends of some 30 years, in Villa #10.

The villa was fine. It wasn't the Four Seasons but it was clean and comfortable. The pool was clean but, like a few other spots here and there, needed a touch up. Nothing major but I'd be lying if I said it was up to typical American hotel standards. This is the norm of what I've found at other island, secondary, accommodations. No big deal but if you must have completely pristine details you will find things that "bug" you.

The location is great, however. We spent most of our time going around the island so having a great room was very secondary. While we were on the property, we had a porch right next to the the pool and we could walk ten steps and just jump in when we felt like it. The beach off the property is reached easily, down a set of stairs. It is pretty location, great at sunsets but it is similar to most of the beaches we visited on St. Maarten. They tend to be fairly steep and though the waves weren't huge you'd have to be pretty cautious with any child under 13 or so. For an adult, the beach is fine, you can wade out and float around very safely and comfortably. Yes, occasionally there are nude bathers on this stretch but it was rare to see many people at all around (in November at least). There's what looks like a golf course down the road.....fun for hackers I'm sure but I doubt any serious golfer would find it amusing or interesting (I believe its the only course on the island). Leave the sticks at home.

Oddly, the BEST part of staying here was the bar/cafe Ken runs. Ken is a "character" in the best sense of the word. His food was great, his prices were outstanding but his interaction with the guests was as much fun as anything else. He's "relaxed" to say the least but he does a great job. We'd have breakfast there and then explore the island. Sometimes we came back for dinner (a simple menu done well) but we almost always had a drink there and shared some great laughs with Ken and the other guests. I couldn't recommend Ken or his services higher.

In all, if you aren't the most discriminating type and you are just out to relax, see some of St. Maarten and hang out with friends, you could do a lot worse than stay at The Ocean Club. In fact if you are going with old friends who just want to relax, you couldn't find a better place.

Room Tip: The Villas seemed, by the guests, to be the better accomadations.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank jag36
Palo Alto
Reviewed 16 September 2011

The Ocean Club Villas and Residence Inn is old world charm. The Club was build many, many years ago and unfortunately it shows. While we were there for a month, some renovations were started, but when we arrived there were construction materials in our parking spot. It looked as if it had been there for years and was never touched wheel we were there. I am curious to return to see if there is any change a year from now. The club could use some work and just a new paint job would do wonders in my opinion.
We had a studio on the ground floor which was large, in fact the one bedroom above us is the same size only with a wall and a door separating the bed and the living space. The staff and for that matter all the workers on the property was always nice and friendly. Room service came every day and changed the towels and every other day changed the bed. We were told that new beds would be put into all the rooms. The bed in the studio was a king size and comfortable, but I understood that management wanted to do some upgrades. Upon arrival I stocked the fridge with beer only to find out it did not work. We had a new fridge within 10 minutes. I with I could say the same for the TV. This is certainly not important, and obviously the Club thought the same they came once and never fixed it. I opted to get the news from my laptop only to find out the WI FI at the pool side only worked once in a while. Out of the 30 days I was there it worked 10 days. This meant you had to go to the front office and when that was closed to sit outside with your beer getting warm and a bottle of mosquto stray. The pool is large and nice. Well a few tiles were missing here and there, but the worst part was the upkeep of the pool. On one occasion I had to clean the pool before I wanted to go in! Half the umbrellas were in a state of dis-repair.
To sum up the Ocean Club, a few small "fixes" would go a long way. Paint the place (on the outside), make sure that the WI FI, TV etc. works, keep the pool clean. Just little things would go a long way!
Will I return? I will return to visit the friends I made there and check the place out and post an update.

Room Tip: All rooms face inward and face the pool. No "bad" location.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank friendlytrips
Hamilton Ont, Canada
Reviewed 9 September 2011

Xmas in St Maarten need we say more. Ocean Club is clean , comfortable the air worked fine and did not need a key to operate it, the office gal is helpful and who needs to watch TV on holidays don' t we go away to relax and catch up on each other. The resort sits on a cliff over looking the crisp Ocean and has excellent staff. There are numerous beaches just remember to rent a car something other then compact there high speed bumps everywhere. Like any area don't leave valuables in car in clear view they won't be there when you return. The family that leases the restaurant at Ocean are from Toronto Canada and their prices are excellent and fesh. They put on a fantastic Xmas dinner with all the trimmings. We loved it and bought a bank foreclosure there.

Room Tip: Ask for what you want
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bluangels
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 19 August 2011

We can honestly say that staying at The Ocean Club througout the years has been one of life's greatest rewards. We have never had any problems with our reservations, office manager Cheryl has always been a huge help, the units very spacious and clean. Only steps from the pool and spectatular Cupecoy Beach make this a beach lover's dream. Thank you Ocean Club for all the great memories

• Stayed November 2010
1 Thank ColoradoYankee
Hamburg, New York
Reviewed 3 June 2011

We have owned 4 weeks at Ocean Club for over 20 years. Obviously we like it very much.
I read a long and very critical review of Ocean Club and I must say most of her complaints were unfounded. As to why would anyone own there, because it is quiet, not pretentious and less expensive then the "glitzy" places she listed. Glitz I would rather not pay for. Ocean Club is not a hotel. They do not provide your entertainment. Yes their rooms could use some updating, (which is happening as I write this,) but I don't know about you I do not go to the carib. to watch TV. Maybe its like owning a place at the "lake" or a summer cottage some where. As far as the beach goes, there are plenty of other beautiful beaches to go to, however, heaven forbid, you might have to rent a car. Leave the computer, the cell phone, the TV, and the world at home and veg out at Ocean Club.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank g-man4287
Trumbull, Connecticut
Reviewed 15 December 2010

maybe we hit the perfect storm of bad circumstance, but.....

We checked in with a surly counter person, and made our way to the room. Very outdated, but what the heck, we were planning to be out most of the time. We started to unpack, but did not feel comfortable putting our stuff in the very dirty drawers. Looking a bit more closely. the place was FILTHY! Hand smears on the walls, crud and stains on most surfaces, the bathroom was a hazmat zone. Front door lock was broken. Big sign on the air conditioner warning that you will be charged if it is left on. We sat on the bed to figure out what to do, and noticed the bottom of my wife's feet were BLACK! Back to the office, I politely asked the surly desk person to have the room cleaned.

Even surlier housekeeper arrives, we decide to wait at the car, well, because the cafe is closed. 30 minutes later, we were back to the room. It was better, but still bad. Like a frat house after a keg party. I pulled back the bedspread to reveal sheets with stains and hair on the pillow. That was it.

Back to the office, the surly clerk SOLD us the WIFI internet password so that we could use my laptop to locate other accommodations. Back to the room, no connection available. Back to the office, the surly clerk informs me that the internet only works in the office, and the office is now closing.. I ended up sitting on the steps of the closed office, absolutely furious.

We did find a fabulous place, (listed on TA) and we had a great vacation after that. We are heading back in a few weeks.

Cheers

Sapphire Beach Club Resort
Sapphire Beach Club Resort
#2 of 2 in Cupecoy Bay
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort

Been to The Ocean Club? Share your experiences!