“The Ocean Club not on par with other timeshares on St. Maarten”
Review of The Ocean Club

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cupecoy Bay
The Ocean Club
Reviewed 25 February 2008

We just returned from our fourth visit to St. Maarten. We love the island itself, but were quite disappointed with The Ocean Club. I can't speak for the villas since we rented a studio, but I would not recommend that anyone stay here and my husband and I can't fathom why anyone would want to own a week here. The unit is sorely in need of repair/updating. Plaster was cracking and falling from the window, the screen on the slider had so many holes that we couldn't leave the door open for fear of having a load of bugs inside the unit, there is NO OVEN. I was told there would be an oven - there is a TOASTER OVEN...not the same thing to say the least. The refrigerator didn't work, the milk we purchased spoiled and we ended up putting everything in the freezer as our frig. As others have stated at this complex, there is no real AC and you can't leave it on all day because they make a point of telling you they will charge you if they find that you removed your room key from the AC key. So, every day we got back to a room that was 85 degrees and didn't cool until the next morning, when it was time to leave for the day! They also have a note in the room that they will charge you $100 each time they have to clean sand in your room! The TV had less channels than I get at home with my basic service - all you get are the networks and CNN. There is no VCR or DVD...you can rent a VCR but it costs $5/per movie. The amenities are sorely lacking for a timeshare facility. The office closes at 5pm, the studios have no safe in the room so you have to get a safe deposit box at the desk but make sure you're back by 5pm before they close. There is no internet in the room - only in the lobby with your own laptop which they charge you to use ($45/week) and again, you have to be there before 5pm. They have one pool and a snack bar and that's it. I saw no activities happening, no sign of any sales staff or any staff except the two ladies at the desk. The website mentions a spa, but who knows where that was, because it wasn't evident while we were there.
We have always stayed at Flamingo Beach and loved the Simpson Bay area with all the activities and all the activities that the resort has to offer, plus many more amenities. Additionally, I have read here that Cupecoy isn't a gay beach, but you could have fooled me. Every night from our room we could see the cars swarming in on the dirt paths for their "rendevous." Granted, some were just going to see the sunset, but the majority of the folks in the cars and walking were males. When we walked to the beach all we saw were nude men and in fact, one of them was sort of walking around "signaling" for action from other men that were standing above looking down. I would never bring my kids to this resort for that reason - you can't really walk on the beach and feel comfortable. The only time I saw non-males on the beach was at the far right hand side where it was completely nude and there were older couples, but I would definitely say that this is the gay spot.
If you want to rent a timeshare, check out the ones in Simpson Bay. Flamingo is great, there's Pelican, Atrium, Royal Palm, etc. If you want peace and quiet and complete solitude with no extras, the Ocean Club would do the trick. We're not big spenders, but when I go to the Caribbean, I do like to have the comforts of home and felt at the Ocean Club that I had the basics, if that. All in all, quite disappointing - I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank NEBeachGirl

Reviewed 19 December 2007

The new manager of The Ocean Club is pretty much a mess. The pool side bar was hardly ever open, and when it was they had minimal food and drink avalible. We had to walk to the resort next door for lunch everyday.

I don't remember this guy's name but he presented himself as quite a hustler...offering shady trips deals around the island to the visitors. At one point he actually offered a friend of mine marajuana. ( no joke)
It's unfortunate because the facility it self was lovely and so were many of the other visitors. I would come back to this resort only if a capable management team took over.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank amymarie777
Reviewed 12 June 2007

We were at the Ocean Club Waterfiew in Cupecoy Beach. The accomadations were small, we had a studio but clean and remodeled. The airconditioning was not very good in the afternoon because the sun heat came through. Also, we were not allowed to leave the "airconditioning key" in working while we were not in the room. The bed was very hard, my husband liked it but it was too hard for me. The shower was small and you could not take a shower without washing your hair. The manager was very helpful. We rented our car thru the manager for $150 week (this is low season). Becareful of driving. It can be very hazzardous. We rented beach chairs from the front desk for $15 the week. The bar was great and the pool was great. We will probably come back because we got a good deal and it was clean and provided us with everything we needed. If you are looking for 5 star, this is not it. But it does provide all the amenities that you need for the basics.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lou709
A TripAdvisor Member
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 14 July 2006

The Ocean Club was acceptable. We had a studio apartment that overlooked the pool and the ocean. The view was great. The room was adequate - nice, but just basic. I heard that some rooms required a AC key to operate the unit, but ours did not so we kept the room at 75F during the day and 70F at night all week. The room came with everything that you could need, except an iron which we got from the front desk. The room includes a fridge/freezer, sink, dishwasher, toaster, microwave, a small bathroom with a standup shower, and a tv with 10 New York City channels.

The front desk also has free beach/pool towels. The service was friendly. There was hardly anyone staying there. The place has a bar by the pool where we had pretty good steak and cheese subs while watching the world cup. Beer prices were reasonable, with 2 for 1 prices from 4:30-6pm. The timeshare at one time had the Internet, but the receptionist told me they didn't. Our hot water didn't work for 1-2 days. The resort charged us a $100 energy surcharge, and $2.70/minute for phone calls to the US. I had to go to the Wyndym Hotel next door to use the Internet for 0.15c/min. They also had a small grocery store in the basement of that hotel which was overpriced.

The Ocean Club sits on Cupecoy Beach (nude) which is very nice secluded beach with great sand nestled into rocky cliffs which provide even more seclusion. We rarely saw anyone else, but the water was a little rough for my wife. We recommend Baie Rouge (topless) which is about 10 minutes by car, and offers a pretty happening beach with the best snorkeling of the island including a tunnel through a cliff that you can swim through. Also recommend Maho Bay Beach (topless) with fairly good snorkeling but a nice wide open beach with plenty of people watching.

We also rented beach chairs and umbrella from Packlight (found on Internet) for $25/wk and snorkel equipment $20/wk. We rented a car (a must) from Ace (found on Internet) for $125/wk which was the cheapest I found. A rental car is a must as there are few taxis or buses, and the island is fairly big. I heard that you shouldn't leave anything in the car. Also don't drink the water, but if you do, make sure to visit the pharmacy for an over the counter remedy (I forget the name) that worked within an hour.

I also recommend stopping to get groceries for the week, as just about everything is expensive, especially if you travel to the French side of the island as the dollar to euro exchange rate is 1.2 to 1. Some places will honor the dollar though, be sure to ask before hand. There was a good grocery store in Mullet Bay.

• Stayed: July 2006
19  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 April 2006

Returned a few days ago from visiting St. Maarten. We stayed in a time share "The Ocean Club Villa's" at Cupecoy Beach. Had a fantastic time and will go back again. Everyone was super friendly. Very relaxing vacation.

We had a huge one bedroom with a king size bed, the living room had two separate sofas. One of the sofa's pulled out to make a bed. Large deck with two chaise lounges, another chair and table that over looked the pool. Time share did charge a $50 energy bill. Thought that was strange since you had to use your door key to start the air-conditioner. (NOT CENTRAL AIR)but did cool the rooms adequately. You only received one key to the unit. People who owned at Ocean Club Villas were great. Most have been coming to St. Maarten for years and they are like one big happy famiy. They did include us and made us feel welcome.

Loved visiting all the great beaches. Cupecoy Beach was within walking distance of our timeshare and we enjoyed watching the sunset and great waves. Did not actually spend time sunbathing on Cupecoy. It is a nude beach and saw just a few men. Orient Beach had a lot of water crafts that you could rent. Lots of tourists and topless women. Baie Rouge was our favorite beach not real crowded. Great waves and beautiful blue water. We had HAPPY HOUR at Gus's and also enjoyed appetizers. You could sit under an umbrella and just enjoy the sites.

Visited Marigot on the French side and enjoyed the restaurants and great shopping. Philipsburg on the Dutch side also had great shopping, restaurants and a beach where you could see the cruise ships in the distance.

Went to "HARMONY NIGHTS" in Grand Case-entertainment in the streets and people selling all types of crafts also great food. Grand Case is also known for its great French restaurants but sorry to say we did not have time to have dinner. We were on a bus trip.

We rented a car while in St. Maarten from Summer Set Car Rental a local dealer. Super people-Mitch was great.

Will go back to St. Maarten again. LOVED IT!!!!!

14  Thank Carol36
A TripAdvisor Member
Boston
Reviewed 1 November 2005

we came for a week and stayed a month. Yes, it was that good. We had a corner unit, with beathtaking view of the oceans and the lagoon. The sunsets were fabulous. The crowd at the Oasis lounge was friendly and the owners were entertaining as they free poured our drinks and boy can they cook. Yum!!!

• Stayed: March 2005
19  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 May 2004

I have owned a time share here for 7 years and like it so much that I bought a second week this year. The beach is out your front door, and the privacy is spectaular. Small but perfect for th discerning traveller.

11  Thank c3boats