“Quiet peaceful romantic”

The Cliff at Cupecoy Beach
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here as a child free getaway. We loved all of the amenities. Its definitely not a party atmosphere but just so relaxing. We almost felt like we were on a cruise ship on the front deck. There was a leak from the air conditioning unit and they came to fix it within an hour. Walking distance to Porto cupecoy and Atlantis.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I never write reviews but this trip was so out of this world and by far my best vacation I have been on so I felt it was necessary to share..

I was debating on where to stay in St Maarten and a friend referred us to stay at the Cliff and we are so glad we took his advice. We were debating on a couple other hotels that were a little closer to town, but they were no where near as nice and honestly its just a short drive to town (5 min)

This resort blew me away you get the most value here, there was a housekeeper who came everyday, our unit had an amazing ocean view, Washer/Dryer, Beautiful Kitchen spacious dining/living room area and spacious bedroom. They also kindly gave us 2 bottles of wine with the room which you don't see often. The only thing I noticed that they do not have is a blow dryer so make sure you pack one!

Cherise, is the one who booked it for me and she was a great help! She even called to make sure everything was good with our room when we arrived.

We will be back and the only place we would stay at is The Cliff!! Thank you for such an amazing experience!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tonya K
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Disregard 2/14 travel and rating (default setting)...have not yet stayed but, based on our just-completed booking experience, want to simply offer this in advance of our stay later this year. One item of information I grew increasingly frustrated at not finding anywhere was distinguishing sections A - H in the building. It has been clear the unit's numeral was the floor, but the section has meant nothing without an illustration or simply a reference...until this past week! As finally confirmed in an email from the friendly building mgr, "Looking at the building from the water side, A stack is to the far left and H stack is to the far right." Hope this proves helpful to future inquirers. Greatly looking forward to our stay this Spring.

Room Tip: If wondering about building sections A - H locations, looking at the building from the water side, t...
Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Reply T
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I must first confess that I do not like beach high-rises. I want to be on the beach, not staring down at it. That said, The Cliff at Cupecoy is an excellent place. It stands out amongst the many resorts on St. Maarten. Even in this high rise, there is a certain sense of calm and serenity. It is gated, very safe and our condo had spectacular views of the ocean and the countryside. The views alone make this place. We stayed in Unit MA10 for a week. The unit has three huge bedrooms; the master has its own separate office complete with a desk, daybed and wireless printer; the wireless service was excellent. The beds were big and soft and cuddly. The unit was very well appointed, with everything a family could need. They even did our shopping for us (from our provided list) and had the kitchen fully stocked when we arrived. The rooms were absolutely spotless and the housekeeping staff kept them that way - perfect! The balcony encircled the building so that every room had a lovely balcony. I would leave the balcony door open (screen closed) at night and fall asleep to the sounds of the surf. It really is a touch of paradise.

There are a few things that take down this rating however. The first is that despite the great views, The Cliff is located on a cliff overlooking the ocean. You have to walk down some stairs to get to the small beach. At high tide, the beach all but disappears. The beach area is also rather rocky underfoot and when the waves are crashing, it can even be difficult to stay upright. Some of us sustained cuts and bruises from it. I would not recommend this beach area for children. The outdoor pool area however, is fantastic and very family-friendly, and nearby Mullet Bay beach is better for children.

The other issues – the door lock for our unit malfunctioned throughout our trip. Despite several attempts by maintenance, we were left either with a door that didn’t lock or a door that locked with key cards that wouldn’t open it. Although it was initially blamed on our cell phones demagnetizing the key cards, when their master key no longer worked, and they had to undo the lock to use the physical key, it was clear it was the lock that was the problem. The lock is also of a type that hasn’t ben used in hotels for quite a while. Although St. Maarten is relatively safe, it can be very unnerving trying to fall sleep in a condo whose front door won’t lock.

Additionally, the tub drain is on bathroom ran so slow that one was always showering in a couple of inches of soapy dirty water. Although it was reported, no repair was attempted. The hot tubs were empty and not working. These are minor issues, but at this price point, they ought to be addressed quickly and thoroughly.

The Cliff has one of very best locations on the island and the building itself is lovely with views that are worth the price of admission. If they could attend to these maintenance issues, the place would be a stand-out five star across the board.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank ritan1
Reviewed 4 July 2013

The appartment is fully equiped, very confortable, clean, well decorated, spacious. It has a wonderfull view and a perfect beach. The place is very quiet and relaxing and you are close to everything you May need and Mullet bay, a beach that is heaven on earth.it made my trip much better . I would stay again. Look no further.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CARLOSRioDeJaneiro
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Just finished a weeklong rental in PC 11 rented rough the owner on vrbo as i recall,aka the queen penthouse. The unit and the building are tremendous. I understand that each unit has its own elevator entry and floorthrough plan so each has ocean and harbor views. PC 11 is spectacular, having three decks, including two sun decks from which you can watch the caribbean sea, mullet bay beach and watch the planes land. You can hear them land and takeoff but its not terribly loud. Moreover the building is built well and has great amenities like a christian dior spa which my wife used, a lovely outdoor pool, and indoor pool and gym and indoor jacuzzi. There is a small cafe in the building too but it was closed for off season, it also has its own access to a party of cupecoy beach but this time of year the high tide almost entirely washes over it. Not a big deal for me. As for service we had some problems with the air conditioning, i.e. it stopped working and once notified the maintenance crew was on it very quickly. I understand that the maintenance fees are fairly high here so the service is very good.

The atlantis casino is directly across the street (too close for me) but others probably like that. The cupecoy area is great, has great access to both the french side and the heart of the dutch side and has the best roads. Once you hit phillipsburg and the french side north of that the roads deteriorate and the traffic increases. From cupecoy to grand case, the roads are in good condition overall ( except for the stretch from maho to the cliff which is through the golf course, but even that is in. Etter shape than many roads on the north side of the island) i would stay here again without a doubt as from what i have seen this is one of the better if not best properties on the island.

Room Tip: PC 11 was immaculate.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank ROCKintheUSA
Reviewed 27 April 2013

My wife, two sons and I rented H6 from Michael at VRConnection.com. This unit had a fantastic view of the water and beach. The apartment was well equipped and furnished, and allowed us to save money by eating breakfast and lunch on our own in the kitchen. We enjoyed both the indoor and outdoor pool, as well as the stunning beach by the cliif. We kept our rental car in the secured garage, and it was only a short drive to restaurants, beaches and shopping. The unit had its own washer and dryer, so we didn't have to pack as much clothing as usual, and saved money by not checking an additional bag. I would recommend this unit for anyone considering a trip to Sint Maarten.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Sapphire Beach Club Resort
Sapphire Beach Club Resort
#2 of 2 in Cupecoy Bay
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa

Been to The Cliff at Cupecoy Beach? Share your experiences!