“Great place to Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rainbow Beach Club

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cupecoy Bay
Rainbow Beach Club
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Great place to Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2008

If you want peace and quiet then this is the place to stay.

We were here in the first weeks of June and we practically had the place to ourselves.

This is a newly built complex which has not yet been finished. Initial impressions were poor as the front of the building represented a building site and we worried that our holiday was going to be spoilt by construction noise. This turned out not to be the case as there seemed to be very little activity as regarding builders going about there business.

The check-in/reception area is bright and air conditioned with lovely staff who we found to be very helpful. We did have to carry our cases up to our room but there was an elevator so not too much problem there.

I cannot praise the high standard of the room enough. Superb fitted kitchen, very large living room, comfortable double bedroom and a nice bathroom suite. We had twin balconys at both the front and rear which was handy for choosing between morning and afternoons to avoid the direct sunshine.

As I say, the place was literally deserted. We had the pools and the beach all to ourselves. Granted on one or two occasions in the fortnight we saw other guests but they were definately few and far between.

All the staff we met were friendly and kind. The security guys always greeted you with a wave and the chambermaids enjoyed a chat as they went about their work.

The beach itself is entered by means of a spiral stairway making it unsuitable for young kids or the very elderly. However, when you are down there the rewards are self evident. Lovely golden sands, crystal clear waters and your very own deep cave to take shelter in when it rains or gets too hot.

The security guys can also supply deckchairs and sandcastle stuff at no extra charge.

As regards the pools they are just at the right temperature to cool you down and refresh without being cold.

The only problem we had during our stay was when the water went off. Within 20 minutes a member of staff came up with six 2 litre bottles. A few hours later the water was back on so no harm there.

I think we were lucky to stay in this place when it was so quiet and would recommend it to everyone for value, cleanliness and location.

Regarding the location, the Atlantic casino resort opposite has great restaurants and the Sugar Cane cafe serves truly excellent food under the watchful eye of Ivan who runs a great ship

Happy holidays everyone!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Cardiff_Jet_Setter
RainbowCupecoy, Guest Relations Manager at Rainbow Beach Club, responded to this review, 2 November 2014
I see it's been over 6 years since your last visit to Rainbow Beach Club, St. Maarten. The construction has long been completed. The units are all privately owned; it's not a hotel or timeshare. There are many beautiful condos available for rent and can be found on VRBO.com. We hope to see you back in Paradise soon! Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2008

In summary, nice accommodations but the other problems experienced don't make it worth it.

The initial appearance from the street entrance is not great due to construction to the buildings. If you're renting a regular vehicle be very careful of the sizeable drainage ditch that runs along the front of the facility, it will definitely ruin an undercarriage if you drive over it faster than 5 MPH.

Check in went smoothly. An extremely generic facility map is given regarding the layout of the facility. A housekeeper showed us (self and 11 y.o. son) where to park during our stay and the location of the unit. The unit that we stayed in was clean, spacious, and equipped with extremely nice kitchen appliances, cutlery, glasses, etc. Coffee supply was replenished 99% during our 7-days. Note! The refrigerator is stocked with water, soft drinks, beer, and wine. The pricing information is noted in small print in a lucite frame, not always in the vicinity of the refrigerator. A starter roll of paper towel is included for the kitchen, nice bath and pool towels are provided as well.

There are 3 pools on the property. Our unit overlooked the smallest one. There wasn't any information posted in or around any of the pools regarding the depth. One pool has a "mock" zero entrance. There is access to the beach via the facility but is by way of a spiral staircase. Personally, I didn't attempt to go down the staircase due to my fear of heights. However, some of the younger more daring guest did go down and found beautiful shells. Note! Not a beach for young children...

Monday evening I took my son to one of the pools... Was watched and later approached by the nice Security Officer who asked if I didn't know that children weren't permited in the pool after 7 PM? My response - I did not know; that information was not shared or provided to me.

Second day - no water from at least 9 AM - approximately 1 PM. Phoned the front desk and was advised that the water company shuts off the water and that "it" happens, they don't know when it will be back on - time varies... I concluded that the water being shut off as an island wide recurring issue but later found that it was not the case. Melted ice cubes in a pot and used a bottled water from the fridge to freshen up before going out for what was left of the day. On my way out, I stopped at the reception desk to ask if there is no water - how is the gardener able to water the plants? BTW - the facility is nicely landscaped. She paused for a moment and replied that she didn't know. Then added that it may have something to do with the pressure since my unit was on the top floor and he was ground level. Shortly afterwards, a few more people from the group came to check in (was in St. Maarten for a destination wedding) and advised them of the water situation in front of the RBC Rep.

Once the water came back it was luke warm to cold water only. We had a very nice housekeeper (Sonja) that wondered why I had filled all the pots and large bowls with water... Ended up going to my sister's unit in another building on the property the next day to take a hot shower. Called the front desk on Thursday (I believe) to advise them of the hot water situation. I thought that perhaps I mistakenly bumped something... (Later found that it was not the case) A technician came within 30 minutes to evaluate the problem. An hour or so later he advised that an element to the hot water heater was blown / bad and needed to be replaced and that he would be back... Approximately 2 hours later he returned and spent at least 45 mins repairing/replacing the part...

Next few days - no concerns. Check out went smoothly. Back home and back to reality - checked my accounts and found that I was charged $2 for the bottled water (the one I used to freshen up while the unit didn't have water). I called the RBC to discuss the charge. The Manager's response was that there is no record in their log regarding my unit not having water and if they knew that I didn't have water, a pitcher would have been sent to my unit. She added that they had a record from another person in my group (literally in the unit next to mine - sharing an inside wall...) and a pitcher was sent... (Hmmm... Water had been sent to a neighboring unit but nothing to mine...) My response to the Manager - if the water is shut off, why do the guests have to call, why isn't water sent to all of the guests? She responded that they don't know which guests don't have water... The Manager also stated that it is another company that stocks the refrigerators and the RBC shouldn't have to take their petty cash to pay for something that the guest used/consumed. I responded that I would surely share all of this info with my friends, colleagues, and in my tripadvisor review.

• Liked — Clean facility, spacious, top kitchen appliances
  • Disliked — They are approx on their 4th round of Management and need to be more customer service focused
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank JXGMOM
Hello! I see it's been many years since your stay in 2008. Sorry to hear you had many issues during your stay. The developer tried to run the resort as a hotel and failed miserably; he owned several condos in each building. The rest are privately owned; it was never intended (or sold) to operate as a hotel. Such a shame you did not get to enjoy our semi-private beach; I guess the stair case can be intimidating to some. I hope you made it next door to Mullet Bay Beach; absolutely gorgeous! There are many beautiful privately owned condos at Rainbow Beach Club that are available for rent on VRBO.com. We hope you'll give us a 2nd chance. Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
G/T
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2008

My family & I spent a week at this hotel/condo beach club. I don't think that this is a hotel. I think is a condos for sale. My parents checked in a day before us, when my family did check in it took a long time. There are no bellboys, so yiu hve to take luggage up
yourselves. The receptionist asked some1 to show us to the room. It was a maze, there are no numbers on the door. So good luck finding your room!
Our suite was 2 rooms, 2baths, a kitchen & living room! The facility is brand new. There is also washer & dryer. Our first problem is they kept running out of water, 3 mornings in a row no water!!!
The kitchen was great...but no kettle. We asked for 1, they said they will try...nothing!
The pools were great but COLD...no heater!
Depends on where you stay the view is incredible or really really bad! There is no garden so I am not sure how the call it Garden View, cause it's more like plant in a pot view!
We paid all this money...nearly 5000 & there are no restaurants, no b/fast available within the facility.
I am just too tired & disappointed to go on...was hoping for better.
If you choose to go, stay @ The Pelican..that is central to everything you would like to do!!!

• Stayed March 2008
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Hoping2CITall
Hello! I see it's been many years since your stay at Rainbow Beach Club. Sorry to see you had so many issues during your stay. The developer tried to run the resort as a hotel and failed miserably; he owned several condos in each building. It was never intended (or sold) to be a hotel or timeshare. These are privately owned condos. The buildings & landscaping are complete with all units numbered. Atlantis Casino just across the street, offers many wonderful restaurants/bars. There are several beautiful oceanfront privately owned condos for rent at Rainbow on VRBO.com with excellent reviews. We hope you'll give us a 2nd chance. We appreciate you taking the time to write your review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cupecoy Bay
The Towers at Mullet Bay
The Towers at Mullet Bay
#1 of 1 in Mullet Bay
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort

Been to Rainbow Beach Club? Share your experiences!