“Nice quiet venue”

Price range: US$31 - US$42
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

Met friends for a lunch during the festive period. We had a selection of lunchtime sandwiches and a plough man's which were all very good with the ploughman's being a hearty portion. Service was polite and friendly.

jake b, Manager at Shipley Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2018

Hi Tribbles! Thank you for your kind words. We love the ploughmans too!! It was lovely to have you in and we hope you come back to see us soon.

Reviewed 2 January 2018

I phoned to book a table for 2 for New Year’s Eve on the 30th quite expected them to be fully booked but pleased they weren’t, however when we got there we were told it was a set 5 course menu which we weren’t told on the phone, but the manager allowed us to order from the main menu but said for future reference it’s always a set menu New Years Eve. We ordered 2 fillet steaks (MEDIUM) but when they arrived they were tough as old boots my husband took his first bite and the steak got stuck in his throat he had to rush to the loo I called the waiter and told him he said he’d check on him if he didn’t come out in 2 minutes I tried to eat mine but didn’t enjoy it and my husband refused to attempt anymore after complaining again the waiter said he’d tell the manager he came back and said they wouldn’t charge us for my husbands meal. This spoilt our evening and ended up with cheese and biscuits at home Happy New Year!

Hi Carla, Thank you for your comments. We are sorry to hear of the experience that you had with us and we are keen to resolve any issues. If you would like to speak to us directly about this please call 01293 785237 or pop into the pub and ask for Jake or Caitlin.
We would love to try to change your mind about us so we hope you come back to see us soon.

Reviewed 1 January 2018 via mobile

Three course meal for Xmas.
Starter-Soup that tasted like it was from a tin, with a round of value brown bread. Disappointing
Main- Nut roast with all the trimmings. Average at best but an improvement on the starter.
Dessert- I opted for the cheese board and it dragged my visit to a 3/5 meal. It was delightful.

I’d go again but maybe choose something slightly more exciting as the blandness of the hot food was disappointing.

jake b, Manager at Shipley Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2018

Hi D, thank you for your comments. We are sorry to hear of the experience that you had with us and we are keen to resolve any issues. If you would like to speak to us directly about this please call 01293 785237 or pop into the pub and ask for Jake or Caitlin.

Reviewed 29 December 2017

Very poor service-2hrs.45mins for lunch was not acceptable! I had a diabetic 81yr old mother with me who could not wait 1hr for the mains to arrive. There were 2 brilliant staff who were doing everything unfortunately bad management let them down! I asked to speak to the management as I wanted to express it wasn’t their fault on the slow service but was told they were not around- disgraceful at this very busy time of year to have both managers away! The waiter did say that the online booking system had failed therefore more people turned up than expected, however 2 staff is still not enough to cover people they had to turn away who hadn’t booked. Business will be going downhill quickly if this carries on and it’s such a shame as it is local to us. We will be going further afield next time. The food eventually arrived and apart from the ‘luxury lasagne’ which was a small dish warmed up, the rest of the food was good. After looking at reviews on the website I see that it is not just today people have complained about slow service so my advice would be only to visit if you have plenty of time! I would have thought a reduction off the bill may have been a small token of apology, alas no.

Review collected in partnership with Greene King

Hi Heather, thank you for your comments. We are sorry to hear of the experience that you had with us and would love to discuss this further with you. If you would like to speak to us directly about this please call 01293 785237 or pop into the pub and ask for Jake or Caitlin.

Reviewed 29 December 2017

Had a Christmas day lunch here and the service was dreadful. The waitress looked like she had just come from a pyjama party. The food was very poor considering what was paid per head and very slow. I believe this is now under new management but I could not fault the previous management. I probably will not go there again.

Hi there. Thank you for your comments. We are sorry to hear of the experience that you had with us and we are keen to resolve any issues. As a quick note on the waitresses attire, we do allow 'festive wear' on this special day and the waitress was wearing some red snowman trousers. We understand this is not how we are normally presented but can assure you that it definitely was not pyjamas.
We would love to discuss this further so if you would like to speak to us directly about this please call 01293 785237 or pop into the pub and ask for Jake or Caitlin.