All reviewsfishamazon riverpink dolphinslocal villageother guestsflora and faunalocal guideno electricityjungle experienceno hot waterfood was greathis knowledgefast boatpygmy marmosetspeacock bassmosquito nettingpersonal guide
Reviewed 25 July 2013

This small eco-lodge is nestled in the jungle on the edge of the Amazon River surrounded amazing flora and fauna. No electricity (except for windows of time to charge batteries) but there is running water for toilets & showers. However, with the heat of jungle you don't miss hot water and eating by candle or lantern light made it special. No electricity also meant there were no noises competing with the vibrant sounds of the jungle. We are mother and daughter travelling adventurers who delighted in the simplicity and realness of this this lesser know jungle gem. Both of us have physical limitations but that wasn't an issue. From the moment we were met by our own personal guide at the airport through our journey down river, our stay, our daily excursions to our departure we were made to feel welcomed and cared for by all.
The staff at the lodge were wonderful. We were well fed, our rooms were clean and their knowledge of the Amazon jungle was amazing. The was food was fresh, tasty and authentic and the pitchers of changing new varieties of fresh juice with each meal was memorable. Anthony, the owner, was there during our stay and his “kid in a candy store” enthusiasm for his job was infectious. Our guide, Osmar, was a wealth of information as well as an enjoyable companion. If you are looking for something other than a jungle Holiday Hilton, this is as real as it gets. It was the highlight of our 3 week Peruvian trip.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Eloise G
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Honestly… I don’t want anyone to be mistaken. If you want an authentic experience in the amazon jungle, for a relatively cheap price, these are the guys to do it with. Just look at all these 5 star ratings on Trip Advisor… No one has that. Before I went with them and I was on this website, I was a bit skeptical that their rating was almost “too perfect.” But after going on a jungle excursion with these guys, I must rate them as perfect as well. Anthony, the owner of the company/lodge, showed us such an amazing gracious hospitality when we stayed at his paradise area in the jungle. A 2.5 speedboat ride down the amazon from Iquitos, Otorongo Expeditions is situated in the jungle away from civilization. There is beautiful garden areas, a place where Anthony keeps his two falcons, parrots everywhere, and just amazing nature.
This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. The guides are great, they know what they are doing. My brother and I had Osmar. He knew where to go to see and find wildlife, we felt very safe with him, and he was a great travel companion. The food was great… simple, yet delicious and very healthy. This was the first time in Peru where we had no stomach problems with the food. Everything is fresh and homegrown, and the water is filtered and the fresh fruit juices are delicious. It was such a wonderful experience. Everyone treated us so well and the amenities were more than enough. Two things I would suggest again: Do not stay at Green Track Hostel in Iquitos, even if Oto recommends it… the hostel is just not good at all. Also, do not go see the kids with the gifts at San Gregorio Village…. It is not worth seeing, nothing is worth purchasing, and we felt bad just visiting. We left without buying anything and felt obliged to pay them something just because they looked so sad. It was not a happy experience and if there was one thing I’d recommend to Oto, it’d be to remove that from their itinerary. Other than that, every activity was perfect and amazing.
Amazing, Invaluable, Memorable, and Epic!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank Eric Z
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Staying at the Otorongo Lodge was one of the highlights of our six-month
South American adventure. While the facilities are relatively basic the rooms are comfortable, the shower is lovely and cool (we really didn't want hot showers in the opressive humidity of the jungle), and the meals are tasty and plentiful. The staff are all wonderfully enthusiastic, and are a wealth of knowledge about the wildlife and ecosystem of the jungle. We saw more wildlife than I could list here but highlights were Pygmy Marmosets, Pink River Dolphins, and a Phrynid (which I had no idea even existed until we were introduced to one). Definitely recommended.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rwneal
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Where do I begin? My husband Mike and I just returned from Peru, where we spent 4 days and 3 nights at Otorongo lodge. We picked this place because we thought it was different from others that are advertised (its farther away, and more secluded). I emailed with Elena, for a few weeks, she works at the office in Iquitos and was very kind and responsive to all my questions.
Once we arrived, we were picked up by Osmar, who would become our private tour guide for the next 4 days. This guy knows his stuff! we were so impressed, we had so much fun with him. He knows about every bird, plant, fruit, animal, fish you can imagine, just ask him. Thanks to him, I ate a grub, kissed a piranha, held a centipede and swung off a vine! Whatever we asked he would say "Let's do it!"
Tayo, the boat driver was also very nice and has a very sharp eye for finding animals.
And the food... We have been to five star hotels around the world but this food is the best we've had so far. Thanks to Ricky who showed my husband peruvian food at its best. My husband says he misses the fresh fruit juices they prepared at the lodge every day. Again food was excellent and they cater to your diet restrictions if you have any.
The place is very cozy, it's really admirable what Anthony, the owner, has built out there. The place is well laid out, you can have your own private room with bathroom, and they even have a hammock room that we enjoyed very much after a long day.
Just know that there's no electricity but they have a solar panel so you can have a dim light in your room and bathroom, and they also have a place where you can plug in and charge your camera. They have clean running water, and the rooms have mosquito nets so we didn't have a problem with bugs getting in.
This place is very beautiful, you can fall asleep with the sounds of the jungle around you. But what makes it even better is the staff who really take care of the place and will take care of you to make sure you have a wonderful time.
Thank you Otorongo! We had a great time!!!!
JM & Michael

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hormellitos
Reviewed 30 April 2013

I spent five weeks in Peru; the last two of which were at Otorongo.

My intention was to spend time deep in the jungle, with two separate camping trips.

I arrived pretty worn out after some intense work with some local curanderos outside of Iquitos. Having warned Anthony I might need some recoup time, I spent the first few days hanging out in the lodge, fattening up on the great food.

Our first trip was up in the high ground. It was an intense, and beautiful trip. A guide was assigned to me. Lorgio was completely fluent in the local flora/fauna of the jungle. I saw so much I stopped cataloging soon after the trip began, and just let the wonder unfold.

Given my exhaustion, the trip was actually pretty taxing on me. Anthony and the crew adjusted the trip accordingly. I ended up canceling my second camping excursion, not feeling up to the demands required to rough it for another 5 days.

The lodge is indeed next to the small, but growing, village of Oran. Despite the proximity there is abundant wildlife just outside the door. Countless creatures, big and small were spotted every day.

I was impressed with Anthonys attention to desires/needs prior to my arrival, and his ability to quickly adjust plans as needed.

They truly do create custom tours.

Unfortunately, my exhaustion devolved into a respiratory infection, which persisted into my return trip to Iquitos. Feverish, and a bit concerned, Anthony made sure I got in a cab and on to my flight home. Impressive.

If you want a taste of what it takes to live in this incredible jungle, I would highly recommend this outfit. You'll be taken care of.

Bravo Otorongo!