Pacuare Lodge
US$135
US$128
US$237
US$177
Green Mountain and Lodge(Turrialba)(Great Value!)
US$50
US$85
Hotel Quelitales(Cartago)
Free cancellation until 28/05
US$113
Hotel Suerre(Guapiles)
US$112
Paraiso Orocay Lodge(Cartago)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 30/05
US$72
TripAdvisor
  • Free Internet
All reviewsno electricityour honeymoonlinda vista suitecanopy tourwhite water raftingzip liningoutdoor showercosta ricathe riversan josebird watchingtop notchonce in a lifetimefood was amazingprivate poolriver view suiteamazing place
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I told my husband if I had read the fine print, I might not have booked our stay here. Somehow I neglected to take on board the fact that arriving to Pacuare involved a 5 km. Raft trip. And departure from Pacuare involved a 25 km.raft trip, up to class IV rapids. And by the end of both these trips, we would be soaked from top to bottom. Even if we managed to stay in the raft! But, missing these experiences would have meant missing the most memorable part of 2 weeks in Costa Rica.

We loved Pacuare. Yes, we loved the rafting. We loved the staff, including the guides who rafted in with us, and then turned into servers when we arrived at the lodge. We loved the food-especially the amazing fruit desserts they created. And especially when you realize that all supplies need to be rafted in as well.
The rooms were private, with huge comfortable beds, and only candles to illuminate them . There was an indoor shower, as well as an outdoor shower (which I didn't use because it looked like it was overlooked quite well by one of the stations of the zipline!)

We stayed three nights, and, although we loved it, in some respects I think two nights might have been enough. I say this because all the activities available at Pacuare, to take part in during your stay, have an additional cost (which I don't think was made completely clear, but I fully admit it may have been me not reading the fine print again). So, the extra cost isn't really the issue so much as the fact that if you aren't interested in the activities on offer, there is very little to do of a self directed nature. We did take the river kayaking excursion (after that white-knuckle experience, I was completely serene about the 25 km. rafting trip to leave!). But we had no interest in ziplining, or horse back riding, etc. I'd love to have seen a little more in the way of hiking trails that you could explore on your own, for example. You can always read, relax, rejuvenate, but, perhaps because we had more or less constant drizzle, we were ready to head out after 3 nights. Everyone needs to read the details of what is available for tours, and decide for themselves how long they might need.

Room Tip: We had a garden view room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank suec89
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We were looking for a nice location to celebrate our 10th anniversary. After looking in multiple countries/destinations, we settled on the Pacuare Lodge. We did the 4 day/3 night "Romance" package, staying in the Linda Vista Suite (Puma). For those that are not aware, the only real way to the lodge is via white water rafting. From the moment you step off the raft you are greeted by the most amazing staff/guides. The employees end up being your rafting guide, activities guides, waiters, and hosts. Each and every person made you feel like you were their only responsibility.

There is no power in the rooms, but you don't care as they light candles which makes the experience all the more special. And trust me, you will not believe you are in the middle of the rain forest, the rooms are spectacular, with wonderful views and sounds. The rooms are "open" in that there are no real walls for the most part, just screens. The Linda Vista suites even come with your own personal dipping pool.

Activities include a canopy zip line tour that includes about 14 drops, horseback riding to an amazing little village where you get a private tour, more rafting, hiking, bird watching and more.

I will say this is not really a family place, but more for the romantic couples get-away. It was amazing to meet the other couples that were there from all around the world.

In my opinion, if you are looking for a location that is "off the grid" but offers 5 star gourmet meals and activities this is your place. There will only be 10-16 other people there with you, making you feel like royalty!

To leave you also must white water raft, which involves class 3 and 4 rapids. Nothing too hard, but very fun! It takes about 4 hours to get back to the real world, but you go through some amazing scenery, (waterfalls, swimming spots, cliff jumping, canyons, etc) that make it even harder to leave.

We are already planning our returning trip!

Room Tip: There are 4 types of rooms. Linda Vista Suites - Amazing suites with personal dipping pools in each suite. But does have a pretty steep climb from the main lodge/eating area. River View Suites - Slightly smaller, but still nice suites (no dipping pool) on the river. River Suites - Sames as above but no river view. Honeymoon Suite - Very similar to the Linda Vista, but only one of this type. Has a dipping pool and its own bridge to a personal viewing platform above the treeline. It is slightly smaller than the Linda Vista, but completely excluded.
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This place is one of the most amazing places I have ever visited. The staff was attentive and outstanding, the accommodations were superb, the food was delicious, the activities were well coordinated and organized. Everything was perfect. I would not have changed a thing.

Room Tip: Linda Vista Suites are unbelievable. Also, the romance package is a great deal. The things included would have cost much more if chosen alacarte.
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Excellent tour, raft trip, food, guides and staff. Should have stayed at the Lodge one additional night. First day was mostly driving to get to the launch site (from San Jose). However, that being said the ~1.5 hour raft "float" was enjoyable. The Lodge area was incredibly beautiful. Would be a heat sport of a romantic adventure. The staff does it all (guide, cook, wait tables, etc). The facility was great and the river cabins reminded me of our cabins in Botswana. So you must understand that while at the lodge you are very remote in CR, however, you would not have known that by the food. I thought we were at a 5 star restaurant! The food was great, my adult daughters loved the basil creme brûlée and had the waiter/guide bring out the "chef' to praise her creation. It is also the site of the best pineapple I have ever had (probably went out back on cut it fresh).

Reviewed 25 February 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights and three days, and agree that it is one of the most spectacular places to which we've ever traveled (50+ countries). We are already looking forward to going back for a longer stay!

This lodge seamlessly integrates luxury with nature, and is genuinely committed to the sustainable policies that govern much of their operations. The accommodations are stunning (we stayed at the Congo River Lodge), and the absence of electricity is wonderfully relaxing. By the time you come back from dinner each night, candles are all lit throughout your lodge. The outdoor shower is particularly spectacular.

Each meal is gourmet, and comprised of surprising flavours. Avocado soup? Had never heard of it, but now can't wait to make it on my own. The wine cellar is varied, both in terms of content and price point. Eating dinner at the main lodge means dining riverside in candle light; given that the tables are all spaced out from each other on the deck, it's a very intimate setting.

The waterfall hike was beautiful, definitely recommend taking the longer hike to get to the second waterfall. You can climb a giant fallen tree and jump into the pool - really brings out your inner Tarzan/Jane! There's also a sandy strip not even five minutes from the lodge which for us, acted as a private beach right on the river. Awesome.

The ride out is absolutely pristine, maybe even the best part of staying there. Class 3/4 rapids bordered by jungle and waterfalls (which we stopped to swim in) give way to canyons, and with Max as our guide we felt safe at each turn. Consistent with the rest of the culinary experience, the spread these guys put on for lunch is nothing short of astonishing.

Special thanks to Mauricio, Boro, Iovanni and Max!

3  Thank KelseyKomo