“Not bad, not great”

Ranked #1 of 9 Jose Ignacio B&B and Inns
Long Island
“Not bad, not great”
Reviewed 5 March 2008

We just got back from La Posada. We had booked it for a week but left early because of poor weather. In all fairness I think we would have like the hotel much better if the weather was better. When we first arrived the room wasn't ready despite being almost 2pm.Then we wanted some food but they dont really have much just some salads for lunch, no menu or anything. They really fall down in the area of food because there are not many places to eat in the area. They serve a breakfast of tea and breads and some unknown salad for lunch.The manager is very nice and spoke English which in this area is tough to find. He is the only staff member that speaks English. We later got our room which is very bright and clean with a nice view of the water. Now I know this is a minimalist hotel but the room had nothing. I mean no tv, no radio, ipod dock, no slippers or robes and only one soap in the bathroom for the sink and shower. Again all this would have been fine if the weather wasn't rain for days on end and we were stuck inside without much to do. So all in all the place is nice, clean, safe etc but just very basic. They have some bikes you can take to the beach and a swim up self serve bar in the pool. The pool and grounds are very nice.

Stayed February 2008

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 February 2008

I just came back from a terrific stay at Del Faro. I felt like I was staying in someone's fabulous house in The Hamptons. I loved this hotel. It is small, initimate, set in the perfect location, and simply luxurious. I loved my room (will be adding pictures later) - everything was white with dark floors. The room was simple with minimal furniture; the bath towels were nice and thick and the sheets were soft and not overly bleached. (I expect nice towels and sheets when I stay at any hotel). Most of the staff did not speak English, but say everything with a smile and people will be nice to you. Santiago and Sophia at the front desk were very accomodating. Note: I stayed here alone as a single female. Depending on your time of travel, this hotel may or may not be for singles. Also the hotel is 2.5-3 hrs from Montevideo's airport. The town is withing walking distance. You don't need a car unless you plan on exploring. The hotel is situated btw 2 beaches, but I stayed at their pool.

Stayed January 2007
San Francsico, CA
Reviewed 14 January 2008

This hotel is amazing. It's across the street from the beach, and really all there is to do is swim, eat, and lay around. It has a hip feel, and the highlight is the pool area. The room we stayed in was nice, but it had a rustic beach feel. Don't expect carpet in the rooms, and plush mattresses, but it was perfect for the location. Breakfast was amazing and the service was excellent. I highly recommend staying here.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, AL
Reviewed 27 November 2007

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful stay at the Posada del Faro! The hotel was perfect after being in the city of Buenos Aires for the beginning of our trip. The staff were so accomodating and even cooked dinner for us on Thanksgiving since not many of the local restaurants were open yet for the season. Highly recommended for couples seeking quiet, romantic getaway!

• Liked — small size, view
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lollie89
Arlington, VA
Reviewed 29 March 2007

My husband and I stayed at Posada Del Faro for 2 days in early March 2007 and our stay could not have been more wonderful. The hotel is very chic and intimate with a beautiful pool and views of the gorgeous beach located about 20 steps away (for a room with a view, reserve something on the second story). In the morning, the staff serves a delicious breakfast with coffee, fresh fruit and croissants. Additionally, each room is full equipped with a minibar (should you need it) and wireless internet access.

The hotel is located in the charming town of Jose Ignacio which is perfectly located on some of the most stunning beaches in Uruguay. Even though the town is small, there is plenty to do, with posh boutique shopping and hip beachside restaurants. For dining, I recommend La Huella. But, Los Negros was nice too. And, we heard great things about Marismo (though it was closed for the season while we were there).

We would go back in a heartbeat!!! One piece of advice, you must rent a car to get out to Jose Ignacio. But, even if you weren't staying out there, you would want to rent a car anyway during your stay in and around Punta Del Este. It is the best way to get around as cabs don't seem to be that plentiful and you will want to tour the peninsula.

• Liked — The scenery
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 January 2007

After reading the reviews on line and looking at the website we were looking forward to our stay at this hotel. I took the expense of calling the hotel directly from out of the country to ensure our reservation would be secure. We were promised it was. To be sure...I immediately followed up with a email confirmation.

Then two days prior to our arrival the hotel emailed to say our room was no longer available, but they had a suite for $230 dollars MORE per night than the room we reserved! After five emails and four more expensive phone calls the hotel would not right their wrong. I was shocked by this hotels unprofesisonal and irresponsible behavior. Save yourself a similar experience and book somewhere else!

Stayed January 2007
3 Thank Betsy H
new york
Reviewed 21 May 2006

If you are looking for an alternative to the madness of Punta, but don't want to sacrifice style, this is an excellent choice. Located in the super charming tiny little beach 'town' of Jose Ignacio (every house is an mini architectural treasure), this peaceful oasis is just steps from the beach. White washed walls, rustic furniture, splashes of color on billowing fabric, combined with an honor bar stocked with good liquor and an assortment of the latest fashion magazines on the coffee table make it feel like you're staying a friend's beach house. The pool is a gem--complete with a swim up bar (self service) and there are lounge chairs to waste the day away, or the hotel provides umbrellas and chairs for the beach...even a golf cart if you like! Breakfast al fresco is divine, but be sure to sample ALL of Jose Iganacios fabulous restaurants for lunch and dinner--this is town is a culinary wonderland. We loved every minute. Wish I was able to upload photos, as they are breathtaking.

PS This is a great way to end a trip to Buenos Aires--quick and easy flight.

• Stayed January 2006