“relaxing and amazing stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coopers Beach
Famous Blue Chair B & B
Auckland, New Zealand
“relaxing and amazing stay”
Reviewed 29 November 2010

My bf and i had never been this far north, but both of us fell in love with coopers beach. The hosts were very accommodating and friendly. The room was adorable and i loved the interior, the bed was very comfy! My bf was impressed there was a TV. The complimentary dessert was delicious! The spa was nice and warm. I enjoyed the walk the beach and the weather was perfect for us! The hosts were also very helpful and gave us lots of ideas for activities, one was to drive up to the viewing point to watch the sunset and the view of coopers beach which was gorgeous. Breakfast was yummy, no shortage of variety of food that's for sure. I had troubles with the coffee, by the time i worked out how to open it, it was cold. Also the tap in the bathroom needed a little clean. But besides that i couldn't of thought of a better place to enjoy my weekend. Thank you very much and i will recommend you to all of my friends and hope to visit again!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
UK
Reviewed 24 May 2010

The accomodation was very comfortable, a beautiful location (we left having fell in love with Coopers Beach) and we could not have asked for more friendly or accomodating hosts.
Fully recommend the Fish and Chip shop that sits out over the water.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 10 May 2008

The 'famous' (can't imagine it is yet) Blue Chair B & B wasn't quite what we were expecting. I didn't realise that Coopers Beach has undergone so much development in recent years and has a really surburban feel to it, so that was disappointing. The B & B is located 5 mins walk from the beach but you walk through housing development and across one relatively busy road to get to it. The beach itself is pleasant, attractive, maybe a bit shallow but nothing on some of the beaches further north at Matai Bay for example, or some of the quieter spots on the way to Taipa.
The Hosts made every effort to make us feel comfortable and breakfast was comprehensive.
My husband and I stayed with our 2 year old and I expected the room to be larger from their advertising. We had a portacot in the room and the double bed but didn't realise that there is a bunk bed permanently in the room which leaves very little space.
The spa was kept nice and hot so we enjoyed that in the evenings.
If I was in the area again I would probably prefer to stay in Mangonui (lot's of places to eat out, historic fishing village & very scenic). Or on the beach side of the main road.

I feel that this review might seem a little negative due to my own expectations, it was good value, clean and attractive and the couple who run it (are from the UK) and were really helpful & friendly. I think that the advertising I had seen prior to our stay may have contributed to my expectatons.

• Liked — internet
  • Disliked — felt like we were in surburia
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank MytimeSydney
BluechairBB, Owner at Famous Blue Chair B & B, responded to this review, 9 June 2008
We need our faith in human nature restored!!!

THIS REVIEW SEEMS SO UNFAIR...we only urge you to look our other excellent reviews from couples and families who have stayed with us - just GOOGLE our BLUE CHAIR name and you will see them on different websites - thanks

Back to this one....
Firstly what right has someone to critisize the name of our business? We are known around the world lots of people have sat on it and the Blue Chair itself has been around the world too so it is FAMOUS!

Secondly they admit our B&B is really ok especially the SPA and that it is their memory of Coopers that is the problem - the area is not what she remembered from years ago - yet she takes it out on our business....I can't help with her nostalgia but she can damage our reputation as a great B&B. Where is the fairness in that?

We bent over backwards for this couple -

*Not many Accommodation providers up here take chidren - we did happily and she stayed for FREE

*We supplied a separate toy table and chairs for their 2 year old each morning and a dolly companion to keep her amused at breakfast so Mum and Dad could enjoy theirs in peace.

*We gave her a gift of toys for the beach and her own special breakfast

*We provided excellent accomodation facilities,double hammock,spa pool and hospitality to our guests as we always do and yet get this as thanks.

* The reason they had to walk thru surburbia to get to the beach was at our suggestion as "little legs" and stroller would find it easier than the 3 min stroll across the most beautiful kiwi reserve which most of our guests do ....we were only trying to be helpful and it comes back as a complaint!

*Also the comment as to not being a great place for young couples/ honeymooners is so wrong.....young couples are very happy staying here and have returned because they have enjoyed it so much. They can walk to a contemporary restaurant for dinner and stroll back along the moonlit beach and sleep under the stars in the double hammock if they so wish

*As for the size of the room - we all know how much baggage a 2 year old comes with let alone her parents....hence the room was crammed full of all their stuff ....thats what made it seem smaller than she perhaps expected! On booking details of the room layout is given to our guests so they know what to expect.

OVERALL its amazing really that you welcome complete strangers into your home - are at their beck and call - go over and above what is expected and then find your business reputation can be ruined by the very same people you thought had left as friends.

What more can I say....normally I would not repond to something like this and would let it go over my head but the way trip advisor works leaves me with no choice - if I don't defend our position my business fails as a result of anothers flipant remarks

Thank you for reading this and please give us the benefit of the doubt.

Jennie
The Famous Blue Chair B&B

ps Oh yes - in relation to the busy road - our B&B is in a quiet cu de sac but you do need to cross- the coastal road to get to the beach ...the speed limit is only 50km and you see about 10 cars pass in a minute and it is the only place on this road that you can drive next to the Pacific ocean........its beautiful up here and thats why we call it paradise!