“Excellent location, food and accommodation with friendly staff”

Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fawkham
“Excellent location, food and accommodation with friendly staff”
Reviewed 24 May 2012 via mobile

We celebrated our 50th Wedding Anniversary at the hotel last weekend (May2012). There 18 guests including grandchildren. From the very first contact the events organisers listened to what we were asking for, and efficiently delivered the total package - to a high standard. The accommodation and food were first class. The staff made gave each guest their personal attention. Every guest, without exception, was most appreciative of the hotel and it's staff. We would give Brandshatch Place serious consideration for any future event.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Andrew_Oxby, General Manager at Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 25 May 2012
Thank you so much for your review. We are so pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay and celebrated your 50th Wedding Anniversary at the hotel. It is lovely to receive such great feedback and the team will be delighted especially with your comments on the food and service levels. Many thanks and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Kindest regards
Andrew Oxby

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2012

We were married in December 2011 at our local church and then had organised to hold our reception at the Brands Hatch hotel. From the outset the team at Brands Hatch (Jane Williams in particular) were consistently professional and welcoming. They gave us the confidence throughout the preparation that all would go well. They were right! The team genuinely cared that our day should be as we wished and were able to recommend some great suppliers and one excellent toastmaster in Barry. The stay before and after the wedding was perfect, brides supper in a private room the night before and the wedding breakfast all excellent quality and served to perfection - thanks Bruce. The organisation, attention to detail and kindness shown to us culminated in one amazing wedding - we are incredibly grateful and look back to that day with so much happiness and zero stress. Thanks all for working so well with our chief (bridesmaid). We look forward to organising our next event!

Room Tip: The exex suites are lovely, and worth the extra few pounds.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Very many thanks for taking the time to post a review. We are so pleased your wedding went so well and that the day was amazing for you. I have taken the opportunity to share your comments with the team and in particular Jane & Bruce were very grateful for your comments on the organisation of the day. We would like to take this opportunity of wishing you both well in your new life together, and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind Regards
Nottingham
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Having stayed in other HandPicked Hotels, we were very excited about our stay at Brandshatch Place. You can hear the nearby race track which was a little disappointing and some investment in improved windows may aid the reduction in this noise; however, to be honest, we didn't find it too overwhelming.

During our stay we had two major issues; firstly relating to the spa facilities and secondly in relation to dinner... which is a real pity as we booked this hotel as it had a spa and we find the Dinner, Bed and breakfast package to be very good value and the dining experience to be ordinarily very good within this chain of hotel.

The spa, gym, pool and changing rooms appear to be incredibly dated and compare dreadfully to other hotels in the chain; Rookery Hall for instance is superb. We were left bitterly disappointed with this facility and spent very little time in the spa resulting in an afternoon watching the television in our room.

Our room was fine; it wasn't luxury and nor was it up to the standard we had experienced in other hotels in the chain. There were obvious signs of 'wear and tear'... scuff marks on walls and skirting, stains on curtains and grouting in the bathroom and limescale around the shower head. Although none of these things are individually hugely offensive, I think combined show that the hotel could do with a little TLC. The same could be said of the hallways, particularly the route to the spa and leisure facilities from the hotel; this appeared to be more like a staff short-cut rather than a guest thoroughfare and I think immediately dampens any expectations of the hotel.

The other disappointing feature we encountered was dinner, which became a little laughable. I don't class myself as being particularly demanding or high maintenance, but I expect service to be of a certain level, and this unfortunately wasn't the case here. With dinner booked for 8.30pm, we arrive in the bar early for pre-dinner drinks and let staff know we had arrived. We had drinks in the room adjacant to the bar where it appeared guests were congregating and it had to be one of the most lifeless rooms I have ever been in. There was no atmosphere and almost silence as everyone appeared conscious that we could all hear each other's conversations. A little background music, and possibly the absence of staff preparing other adjacant rooms for a function and instead focussing on their attending guests may have helped.

With our dinner reservation approaching and no sign of a menu being offered I asked if we could see one... twice. On finally receiving the menu we were given very little explanation (which would have been helpful as there were two menus and we were on a Dinner package so we would have liked to have known our options) and only discovered the unavailability of certain items due to overhearing other people (in the very unatmospheric and quiet room) trying to order these things... it sounded like we were not the only ones who were not given any information about the menu.

The canapes we were offered were dreadful... again, compared to experiences elsewhere these appeared to be a last minute afterthought or left-overs from a function. Desperately disappointing.

At 8.45 we decided we would go and ask to be seated as we had not been approached (15 minutes after our reservation) and it was clear to see that the unprofessional (or untrained) manner of staff was still apparent. Our table wasn't fully cleaned and we had to ask for a wine list as well as ask a number of questions about the menu. At one point we had two waiters at our table, one trying to pour wine and getting all of his words muddled up and the other trying to write down our order which became a painstakingly overcomplicated process.

To be honest, our food wasn't too bad... it was better than I expected considering the issues we had encountered with the service. To top it all, at the end of our meal we asked for two small glasses of wine... two large glasses arrived to which I pointed out we only asked for two small glasses... I was then informed that he had already poured them and misconstrued that I had an issue with the glassware and not the size of the wine portion. This was cleared up by me accepting the drinks but informing him we would only be paying for two small glasses... I think this bypassed his intelligence but needless to say we were only charged for what we ordered and was further evidence of some sort of service training being required.

The hotel is quite handily placed for a trip to BlueWater but I have to say we were bitterly disappointed with our stay overall. The hotel lacked atmosphere and there appeared to be a real lack of professionalism amongst the staff, and highlighted huge training needs in my opinion. (even the receptionist on check-out didn't respond or attempt to find out more as we responded to her parting question of whether we had a nice time). Having been personally, and known others who have attended other HandPicked hotels, the Branshatch Place Hotel and Spa really didn't come up to scratch.

3 Thank thoughtfulphil
Telford
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Haed a great two nights here recently, we where going to a wedding (Not at the hotel but near) the first night we had dinner and it was great. food was lovely and Kenny in the restaurant looked after us brilliantly, we got up early next day had a swim then headed for a late breakfast before going to our friends wedding. we left the kids at home but you can see it is also family friendly so we might take them if we return! (and if they are good!) room was nice with all the things you would expect and just what we needed. the only negative was my wife wanted to carry on drinking in the residents bar when we got back from the wedding so she missed breakfast the next day and I did all the driving home! she never learns!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Andrew_Oxby, General Manager at Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable two night stay with us and that you singled out Kenny for a special mention. I will certainly convey these kind words along with your compliments for the food to Carl our new head chef.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa in the very near future, and of course bring the children along, when we will assure you all the very best attention.

Best wishes

Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2012

My boyfriend and I booked a night away at Brandhatch via SecretEscapes. From the website it looked fabulous and we thought we were getting an excellent deal of dinner in the 2 AA rosette resturant and breakfast the next morning... this was not the case!
Upon first arriving at the hotel we were very pleasantly surprised; the staff were friendly, the hotel was beautiful and the grounds were picturesque. When we went to our room it was large, clean and comfortable. We ordered room service as we hadn't eaten anything all morning and the sandwiches were simply delicious which, of course, set our expectations for the meal ahead of us that evening. The only slight niggle was the slightly undercooked and cold chips but we weren't deterred by this.
After settling in and exploring the facilities a little we got ready for dinner; the receptionist had informed us as we checked in that the restaurant was fully booked until 9pm but we weren't bothered as we usually like to eat late. We were greeted by the staff and shown to our table in the middle of the restaurant. The staff were quick to take our order and serve our canapes and complimentary soup but then left us for an age before our starters arrived. The boy who was serving our starters seemed to be new and brought them into the room 3 times to 3 other tables before settling them at ours, despite the fact that we were the only table in the room without food! He didn't even clear the soup and canapes away either before or after he delivered the food but simply left us to it - shocking!
The starters were bland to say the least, no flavour whatsoever. I had the rilette of Salmon which looked like tinned salmon that had been placed into a bowl and my boyfriend had the confit of duck which was a slab of meat with little else. However we laughed it off and continued.
Our mains arrived and they were no better. My boyfriend had ordered the lamb and, at the time, had been told that it would be served medium as this was how it came. Believe me, it was not medium! It was pretty much rare and cold, the side mash potato he ordered was also cold and incredibly salty. The 'mash' potato I had with my black bream was hard and lumpy from where it had not been mashed properly - utter disaster! Not only this but the house wine we had been given as part of our meal deal was simply undrinkable.
Dessert was the only saving grace of the meal; my boyfriend had the passionfruit cheesecake which was lovely however my treacle tart was, again, tasteless and completely overpowered by the lemon meringue ice cream that accompanied it. We had to laugh really at the state of this restaurant considering it claimed to be 2 AA rosettes. Not only was the food dire but throughout the evening tables were left with dirty crockery and napkins on them from the last clients to have used them and the staff genuinely didn't seem interested in making sure we were happy. Little things like this go such a long way! I even saw one of the waiters putting fresh glasses on a table but carrying them with his thumbs inside the glasses to the table - not very hygenic at all.
After dinner we decided to unwind by having a drink at the bar. The barman, Andy, was very pleasant and sold us a lovely Pinot Noir that we promptly took up to our room and consumed to dampen the memories of the evening!!!
In the morning we had requested that we had room service for breakfast at 10am, this never arrived. After 15 minutes of waiting we decided to call it a day, check out as quickly as possible and find somewhere to have breakfast on the way home. When we checked out the Food and Beverage manager apologised for breakfast not arriving but stated that 'everyone comes into the restaurant at 10am on a Sunday and everyone wants room service at 10am on a Sunday.' If this is the case then I would have expected them to at least have the courtesy to call and inform us it was going to be a little late or even say to us when we requested it at the time that 10am is a particularly busy time and could they recommend an alternative for us? Quite frankly I think that if you know you're going to be busy on a Sunday morning then you ensure that you have provisioned additional staff or set things in place to avoid simple issues such as this.
So, it was not one major issue that failed this hotel last weekend but a series of little oversights that are so simple to avoid and manage. However, as a result of these problems I can 100% state that we will not be going back to Brandshatch again or, indeed, any Handpicked Hotel if this is how they are run.
Shame, it had started off so nicely...

5 Thank Lavra2311
Andrew_Oxby, General Manager at Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor, and even more so for taking the time to speak with us following your recent stay. I am sorry that certain standards fell short on this particular occasion, we aim to exceed our guests' expectations and I am truly sorry that on this occasion this was not the case, please accept my personal and sincere apologies for this.

I was pleased to hear that after speaking with you, you will be returning to us where I am confident that you will enjoy a wholly positive level of food quality and service throughout your stay.

Kindest regards
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We stopped off on the way to Brugges from Wales - directions on the web were not acurate so difficult to find
The hotel had no atmosphere, a large glass of wine was £13.95 !!!!
Evening meal and breakfast was very good
The double bed was a split bed and one section was soft the other hard
Room was ok but a bit tired
This hotel is well suited for coroporate but not for a special occassion
We also had to keep the windows closed to avoid the noise from the M20

1 Thank Glen39
Thank you very much for your recent stay and for posting your review on Tripadvisor with your constructive comments. I am pleased that you enjoyed your evening meal and that you thought the breakfast was very good. I am sorry however that you felt that the bed was uneven and the bedroom was a bit tired, we do have a maintenance and re-decoration program in place and we are imminently replacing a number of our beds to which I will ensure this is addressed. Thank you for your recent stay and I hope we have the pleasure in welcoming you back to Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa again in the future.

Yours sincerely

Herne Bay
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We stayed here to celebrate my husband's birthday. The hotel has extensive grounds and a wonderful spa and facilities attached to it. We arrived at the hotel early but spent a very relaxing time in the lounge area prior to our room being ready. We were upgraded to an Executive Room free of charge and the room was absolutely beautiful. Decorated in georgian style with wonderful kingsize bed. We really did have a superb dinner and despite choosing the Table D'Hote menu we were not disappointed. Ernest gave superb, second to none, personal service during dinner and Andy was very entertaining in the bar and certainly understands his wine. The food was delicious. We ordered champagne breakfast to be served in our room - it arrived on time, extremely well presented, hot and best of all no tray charge. I would certainly recommend this hotel, it was a wonderful experience and we will definitely return. Thank you to all the staff for such an enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Arrive early and spend some time using the spa and facilities.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Andrew_Oxby, General Manager at Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor; it is really appreciated. I was delighted to read that you had such a wonderful experience and enjoyable stay with us to celebrate your husbands birthday. I have passed on your very kind comments to my colleagues, in particular to Ernest and Andy from the food and beverage team. I am pleased that you would recommend the hotel and we look forward to you returning to us soon.

Yours sincerely

Andrew Oxby
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fawkham
Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa
Chilston Park Hotel
Chilston Park Hotel
#1 of 3 in Lenham
Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa

Been to Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!