“Lovely pub- will definately be back!”
Review of Salutation Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Threlkeld
Salutation Inn
Ranked #4 of 4 Threlkeld B&B and Inns
Downham Market, United Kingdom
“Lovely pub- will definately be back!”
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Just got home to Norfolk after a lads walking weekend in the lakes and felt I should share with everyone our experience of the Salutation Inn and Horse and Farrier. We found the staff extremely friendly and really went out of their way to make sure we had a great weekend (cheers Lucy, Mike, Kathryn et al!). The food was very good (I had the slow roasted pork belly and the shoulder of lamb- both were delicious) and they had a great selection of local beers (and good Guinness- most importantly!). I've noticed a few reviews where people have complained about having to eat across the road from the guesthouse, but we found this to be a positive thing- we ate in The Horse and Farrier and drank in the Salutation Inn- both nice pubs so it was good to spend time in them both- really cant see that as a negative! Great walks to Blencathra in close proximity and Helvellyn if you're feeling fit enough!! Lastly, the landlady was an absolute diamond- She really made us feel welcome and tried her best to look after us! Cracking weekend.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Used this pub before in the past and had good quality food and great atmosphere. Some walking colleagues and I visited this week and found that new ownwers had taken over and no food was available. There were also only a couple of locals in. Such a shame as it was previously full of walkers looking for good food, plenty of beer and a buzzing atmosphere. This time we sat in silence and were hinted to that it was closing up time as the barmaid put all the stools on the tables around us!!!! She did say that food will eventually happen but take my advice and check before you walk there.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Wales
Reviewed 14 April 2012

We stayed here over Easter. A very strange set up with the accommodation being at the Salutation yet breakfast being served in a pub up the road. The pub offered no food at all and again bar meals had to be taken at the pub up the road. There was a poor selection of beers, many of the beers were out of stock. The pub also had no set opening or closing times and infact one evening a lady came in while we sat at the bar at 10pm and told the bar maid just to close and that the customers go drink at the pub up the road!! There was no atmosphere at all. I would not recommend this place at all, it seems that all they want people to do is stay at the pub up the road!

Room Tip: Stay at the pub up the road
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mulligan T
uk
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Booked 3 rooms for a get together. Room 1 small but comfy mattresss. Room 2 larger with a hard mattress. Room 3 large 'suite' type. Bathrooms very small but on whole a very pleasant stay. Dogs welcome and a lovely breakfast served over the road at the horse and farrier, which was very good for evening meals also. Would recommend. Nice open fire in bar area of the salutation inn. Very accommodating with 2 birthday meals going on at once. Considering they had 16 meal and drink orders at once, they did well as we didn't wait too long, food was good and all came together. Nice staff.

Room Tip: Room 3 by far the largest room with an additional seating area. Room 1 very small.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
North West England
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Stayed at the Salutation as the Horse & Farrier (sister establishment) was full. The room at the Salutation was pleasant enough with large bed (two singles attached together) but the shower room was tiny (room 2). We are tall and had to have the bathroom door open in order to be able to bend over sink. Not much room between loo and sink either.

However spent a very pleasant evening across the round in the Horse & Farrier where it was absolutely beautifully decorated for Christmas, the staff were lovely and they contributed to the atmosphere being very warm and friendly from all customers.

Breakfast also served in the H&F which was very nice and plentiful with good menu choice.

Overall a tad on the pricey side at £40 per head bearing in mind the bathroom size and the inconvenience of checking in / breakfast across the road (though to be fair it is only a stone's throw) but no major complaints.

Room Tip: Try to get in the Horse & Farrier - the Salutation pub itself stays busier, therefore potentiall...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank annieops
Reviewed 2 November 2011

On arriving in thelkeld for sights walking and relaxing we stumbled on a pleasant looking inn which after a long day decided to eat and relax. But the quaint looking inn was where the pleasantness ended. The food which we ordered was not wot we asked for and when the waiter finally came to address this he brought the same side orders back and only managed to alter the meat. As a freelance consumer journalist I review alot of establishments and would of thought that if a customer complains on a certain meal the management would re-cook a fresh meal as origionally ordered and not just poked around with. Not here. The bar was adequate and service minimal but on the good side it had a feel of warmth but warmth I can get in any old inn up and down the country. Marks out of ten, an easy 3. Overall, food 3 service 2 management attitude to complaints and customer satisfaction 2 warmth 8. My advice, try the next town.

• Stayed October 2011
4 Thank Basshunter331
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2011

We Booked our meal for 7pm we arrived at 6.30pm, we ordered drinks at the bar then went to our Table, ordered our meal, my wife ordered Salmon on a bed of Tagliatelle , I ordered Gammon with Pineapple and Vegetables , as I like my Veg well done I asked for my Veg to be well done, The meal Arrived no Veg and the Gammon more than well done it was burnt along with the Pineapple, my wife's arrived no Tagliatelle. I complained to the Waiter and he took my meal back to the Kitchen then brought the Tagliatelle in a dish to our table, followed with my meal Gammon not well done but with the same Pineapple on, still no Veg, Complained again, I left my meal, So I was not a Happy Bunny, It was the worst meal that I have never eaten.But to be Fair they didn't charge for my meal

Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends