Horse & Farrier Inn
US$230
US$189
Lyzzick Hall Hotel(Under Skiddaw)
US$211
US$251
Agoda.com
  • Bar/Lounge
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe publamb shoulderfish and chipsfamily mealan extensive menusteak and ale piebeer gardensister pubgenerous portionssuperb foodlovely atmospherelake districtwarm welcomespent two nightsevening mealcumberland sausagemany thanks
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 July 2012

we were out walking on blencathra with the rain teeming down and found ourselves at the horse and farrier. We were cold wet and hungry and the pub was really busy. We were greeted by the new owners julie and dave who found us a table. They even accomadated our dog which is really good to see. We found the atmosphere in the inn was wonderfull and all the staff bent over backwards to help us, you could tell they were happy in their work even though they were really busy which to us shows we were going to be trat well. We wernt dissapointed within minutes we were seated had hot drinks and the food was fantastic. I had the lamb which just fell off the bone while my wife had the fish and chips off the bar menu. It was really good the way you could mix and match between menus. The food was hot served with a smile and plentifull. Our special thanks to nichola and Lucy who tended to our every needs. With a fantastic selection of real ales it made our evening. The new owners in such a small time have assembled a wonderfull team. This was our first time in the horse and farrier but on our experiance it certainly will be the first of many visits Thank you julie and dave and all your staff for makeing our weekend complete

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I was on holiday staying near Cockermouth and I had decided to walk up Blencathra. (Not my best decision since I had walked up Skiddaw the day before). Anyway, I finally got to the top via Halls Fell (more of a scramble than a walk), and decided to return via Blease Fell. Once returned to Threlkeld, I decided to visit The Horse and Farrier. (Must have been the new owners 1st week). All the staff were very pleasant, the pub is very comfortable with a lot of character, and when I got to the bar, there was a full range of Jennings beers on handpump, plus 1 or 2 others. I plumped for the premium beer Sneck Lifter. This was absolutely superb. Although I did not stay there overnight, I did go back 3 days later and had a lunchtime meal, and another superb pint. I will be visiting again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 July 2012

I would just like to say that on returning from a short break to the Horse and Farrier with a friend, what a super time we had. It has recently changed hands and our stay was excellent. It could not be in a better and a more relaxed. The food was excellent and the breakfast out of this world. The staff were marvelous and the service brilliant. They do keep an excellent cellar and all the bar staff and quick service was a joy. Thank you so much and we be returning very soon. I can not advise a visit highly enough.

Room Tip: all the rooms seemed to be good and they are planning a refurbishment of the rooms in the next few weeks. so should be even better.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I had booked a room in Horse and Farrier as a surprise weekend break for my partners birthday. Ihave been previously on two occassions and loved the atmosphere , the food was excellent and its dog friendly ! Been walking in Keswick so was exhausted and looking forward to resting in our room before enjoying a lovely meal . Our room was booked in the guest house which suited me as we had two dogs with us , I have stayed in a room in the pub across the road and in the main building also, both very comfortable.However, like Joanne we arrived to be told our booking had not been put in the book !!!! NO rooms available as they had a biking group booked in, ( wonder when they booked) . We were given same excuse sorry I mean reason, that new owners etc etc. They said they would try some other places which took all of five minutes and surprise surprise no rooms available. I cant tell you how disappointed I was , it ruined by partners birthday surprise. We did however recieve a complimentary cup of coffee ! I will not be back !

Room Tip: I have enjoyed breaks in this Inn previously , they are small in the Inn itself but it is an old building , Salutation room is fine . Not sure how things will pan out for the owners if they continue to doulble book.
Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Leah H
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Popped in for lunch during a walk from Keswick. Very nice looking pub that's open all day.

Very good selection of beers and wine. Food menu also extensive.

Service, however, was pretty cool and slow. We arrived towards the end of lunch when most people had finished. We waited ages at the bar to be served.

Food did, however, arrive quickly. I had to collect cutlery and condiments from the service area as our waiter didn't provide these. It was at this point that another guest asked me to take their order for them!

My fish and chips were ok. A giant sized portion, but lacking in flavour and it was a touch greasy. My husband's steak pie was very nice - lovely, tender meat with lots of flavour.

Big outdoor seating area.

I get the impression we visited during a change in ownership and that the outgoing owners had had some problems with locals. I wish the new owners well and hope that they manage to perk this place up a little bit.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple