“Definitely recommended”

Horse & Farrier Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Threlkeld B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Great food and a lovely warm welcome. Stayed 2 nights and ate in the restaurant both nights. Very very good food but i have a hang up about being charged extra for vegetables with my meal and it will cost you £2.50 extra if you want to do the same. Minor but i do find it annoying. Room was very small which we mentioned and were promptly and very kindly given a discount off the room rate. Very unexpected and a lovely gesture. There are larger rooms available so ask when you book.

Breakfast is excellent, quality ingredients in the full english.

Would definitely recommend staying there and we will be going back!

Room Tip: Ask at the time of booking.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 August 2014

This was my 2nd visit to this wonderful place (Sorry Jooles, I never got round to writing the first review). Perfect base for all things Cumbria, easy access to all parts of the Lakes and surrounding areas.

A lovely welcome awaits you here, and although 8 months since my last visit I felt like a good friend was waiting for me when I arrived.

Room 2 is a delightful (compact) twin room, teaching my daughter the art of keeping things neat and tidy! There is a little noise from the kitchen in the morning, however its not too early and saves setting the alarm.

Breakfast is delicious with varied diets thankfully being catered for (a vegetarian who has an egg allergy and a dairy intolerant we are not the easiest to deal with!). An extensive evening menu is on offer after a hard days walking, and the table was ours for the evening meaning we never felt rushed or pressured.

The Horse and Farrier is a busy, delightful pub in a wonderful location with beautiful views and warm hospitality. The team are friendly, helpful and easy to chat to, it feels as though every customer is a dear friend.

Regrettably, we all have to return home at some point, however, I have left today leaving my deposit for my 3rd visit in December and I very much look forward to looking at those snow covered mountains in front of the open fire with a big glass of something red and delicious.

Jooles, David and the team, thank you for everything, see you again soon x

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Set in the small village of Threlkeld just outside Keswick this bustling offers a warm friendly welcome with great atmosphere and quiet surroundings. There is plenty of parking, a beer garden and the meals are of a high standard and good value. Breakfast offers a range of cereals and a fine cooked breakfast. While the bedrooms have been modernised the atmosphere of the old building is retained.
The only problem we had was the bedroom was too small for the large bed (room 7). It was a challenge to arrange luggage while still allowing access to the bathroom or exit. This however did not detract from our overall enjoyable stay. Would definitely recommend for a stay to explore the surrounding Lakes District

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed here on our trip to The Lakes. We stayed in the cottage attached to the pub. The rooms were comfortable and clean and having a kitchen and sitting room was great. We were able to have our two dogs with us and they were also welcome in the pub at night and for breakfast.

The bathroom was a bit small and the understairs cupboard was very fusty which gave the whole cottage a damp smell. If this had been rectified I'd have given a higher rating.

The pub food was good but overpriced (like everything in The Lakes).

1  Thank kieransharrock
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Excellent place for accommodation And eating, Great location for walking, My second B&B by myself and felt I was really made to feel at Home by the very Friendly Staff ! Service second to none, Loved every minute I was there, Thanks to Jooles, Jill and Kenny(Breakfasts))

Room Tip: I Was in Room 5 Ideal for me, Plenty of Room, Everything I needed, Cleaned and Bed made every Day.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank BWS1946
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Excellent food, accommodation and really friendly staff will definitely return. Service second to none in great location. The lamb was the best I have tasted in years just hope it's still on menu in February!

Room Tip: Double room overlooking street excellent
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank booby1961
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We visited the horse and farrier for a meal to celebrate my husbands birthday. As soon as we arrived and opened the door we were hit by the strong smell of wet dogs. We had booked a table which turned out to be in the snug, which unfortunately was occupied by a couple and their large wet golden retriever. The staff were lovely and the food was excellent and well presented but were spoilt by the smell of wet dogs!! We are dog owners ourselves but we wouldn't expect to take him in a restaurant and spoil other peoples enjoyment. Would go again if we could eat in a dog free area.

2  Thank campingqueen2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Threlkeld
The Derwentwater Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rosthwaite
The Kings Head Hotel
The Kings Head Hotel
#85 of 189 in Keswick

Been to Horse & Farrier Inn? Share your experiences!