“Golfing trip” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Moate
Banbridge, United Kingdom
“Golfing trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

Myself and three friends stayed here at the end of June 2013. We had booked rooms at the hotel as we did not want to return home until the next day. We all agreed that the rooms we were given were excellent and very comfortable. The staff were extremely friendly and nothing was too much trouble - Cathal, the hotel manager, took great care to ensure our stay was an enjoyable one. We dined in the restaurant and thought the menu choice and the food itself was great - breakfast the following morning was also very good with plenty to choose from. We paid a more than reasonable price for the food and accommodation considering the quality. My friends and I are keen to make a return visit to the hotel and would have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending it.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Cathal C, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Thanks very much Adrian. I passed on your compliments to the chef, it was great having you and your three friends stay with us in June. Looking forward to welcoming you & your group back again in September. You can see our newly refurbished rooms too!! Thanks again. Cathal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

On business trips around the UK and Ireland i must, over the years, have stayed in hundreds of hotels. The Grand Hotel, i class as one ot most friendly hotels i have stayed in. From the moment we arrived until the moment we left we were made to feel very welcome. The room was spotlessly clean, the beds were very comfortable, the water was piping hot and the evening meal and breakfast were sensational. The house red wine i recommend ! What more can i stay.
The position of the hotel on the main street is ideal and parking is free just outside the front door. Perfect! Anyone driving West/East or East/West will find this hotel an idea stop over or indeed a perfect place to stay if availing of the many local attractions.Many thanks again to the wonderfull staff for making our stay so enjoyable
Robert Alan Macrory
County Down

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to post your review Robert. We love to hear back your valuable opinions. We’re very happy to hear that you both enjoyed your stay. We pride ourselves on being a family run, friendly hotel.

Our house keep is as always meticulous on how she keeps the accommodation in perfect order and this really shows in all of guests experiences with us.

Our Private vines house wine, Tantehue is a particular favourite among our guests. Perfect to compliment one of our locally sourced steaks.

We look forward to welcoming you back again. Many Thanks, Cathal
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed here in a double room, did not think the room was good at all it was dirty hair in the shower etc.. Disgusting! That was only the start of problems i got a big long red hair in my cold meat salad which put me off eww... My boyfriends steak was well done when he wanted medium rare and steak is 25euro!!!
I heard this place was closed down at one stage as far as im concerned it should of stayed closed down

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank 1234food
Cathal C, Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2013
Thank you for your review, although I think you may have the wrong premises. Firstly our steaks are priced at €14.90 and a maximum of €19.90, not €25. Our steaks are locally sourced within a 15 miles radius of the hotel and we pay a premium price for this. We do not however pass this added cost onto our customers. Our chefs have a wealth of experience in cooking these delicious steaks and cooking a med –rare steak is no problem for them.

Secondly the Grand Hotel has been established for over 35 years without ever closing or running into financial difficulty, in fact we recently refurbished our restaurant and we are in the process of refurbishing the remainder of our bedrooms. We also recently upgraded all of our televisions to High Definition Flat screens in all of our bedrooms and in the Hotel Lobby, Bar, Carvery & Coffee Shop. We also have recently installed a completely new Wi-Fi System for free access for all of our guests both in the Hotel Bedrooms and in the Restaurants.

All of our bedrooms are cleaned to perfection daily. We never receive complaints about the cleanliness of our hotel and our reviews on Tripadvisor and Booking.com reflect this. We value all accurate guest reviews but this review is either of the incorrect premises or not terribly accurate & I would be glad to hear from you if you would like to call the hotel directly to resolve this misunderstanding.

If you, as a future customer, are reading this I would urge you to read our other, more accurate reviews on Tripadvisor as well as on booking.com that really reflects the true hard work that we put into our service and quality at the Grand Hotel & Oak Leaf Restaurant. Many Thanks
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

As I arrived to the hotel I thought that the service was great we were showed to our room and I was very happy as the man was very nice he said if we had a problem with anything to tell them. The staff were so polite and when we went to get food down at the bar I thought the pricing was a bit expensive but overall it was worth it the food was delicious. I was very happy there and I would definitely go there again:)

Room Tip: No tip everything was perfect
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Tralee, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

I had lunch today at the grand hotel. I am a coeliac and I found that the menu was very limited. I was hoping to have curry but it wasn't gluten free. I asked if I could have a sandwich but was told that they had no gluten free bread. I asked if I could have chips but again was told the chips were not gluten free. I decided to have the turkey dinner. For the €10.95 that I was about to pay I was expecting a decent meal. The selection of veg was very limited - carrots and cauliflower, and looked a little limp, so I opted to give them a miss and of course I couldn't have the stuffing as it wasn't gluten free. Therefore all I got for my €10.95 was two slices of turkey and three small scoops of potato! Unfortunately I wasn't able to eat any of it as it tasted terrible. The mash must have been kept warm for hours as it had that funny taste that over cooked potato gets and the turkey was dried out. As I was dining with two other people I didn't complain as I didn't make a fuss. No member of staff checked on us or asked If everything was ok so I left the full dinner behind me. I think that as a hotel more of an effort should be made for coeliac customers. I certainly will not be back.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank MARION H
Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013 via mobile

Stopped here for a meal on a car journey from Mayo to Wexford.
We ate in the bar as the carvery was finished.
The bar had a very tired look about it and looked like it seriously needed a good clean.
The menu was very promising looking. I ordered the Garlic Mushrooms which were edible but poorly presented and the Golfer's Grill which mostly was fine apart from the steak which was very well done (and for me inedible) and I wasn't asked how I wanted it.
My companion had the soup which was good and the chicken and ham which tasted good but not well presented.
After tea and coffee the bill came to €39 which, considering my local 4-star hotel offers 4 courses for €49, is very expensive for poor presentation in a bar.
The young man serving was very pleasant, he seemed to be stretched in duties as I saw him leave the bar to check some one into the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

Really smart staff who made sure we had everything. looked after my nephew by getting his food really fast, they brought an extra table to us when one was available so we'd have more room.
clean and tidy hotel and staff looked sharp. they even said bye and thankyou!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moate
Sheraton Athlone
Creggan Court
Creggan Court
#8 of 9 in Athlone
The Prince of Wales Hotel

Been to The Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!