“A wonderful "get away from it all" experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Temple Lodge & Spa

Temple Lodge & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Moate
Brussels, Belgium
“A wonderful "get away from it all" experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2007

I've just come back from a 3 night "wellness break" at Temple Spa. I hadn't read any of the reviews here before I went and am very glad I didn't as there are so many negative ones. I had a wonderful experience. My 3 night break included all meals and 3 spa treatments. I could also, if I wished participate in the activities on offer such as yoga, walks, posture classes etc.

The welcome on arrival was excellent. i was shown to my room then given a tour of the place by Mark (I think). All staff were very pleasant. I had lunch before my first treatment and found it to be lovely. All my spa treatments throughout my stay were wonderful but particular mention has to go to Mary for the "La Stone Therapy" which was the most wonderful way to spend an hour - absolute bliss. I'll definitely be returning for that treatment. All meals were very good with generous portions and all menu options were clearly marked with letters signifying low-fat, gluten-free, wheat-free etc.

While my room had no TV (something that I had no issue with) it did have a CD/radio and I was able to play my own CDs which was nice. The layout of the spa is lovely, the common areas are spotlessly clean and it is very relaxing which is, after all, the point!

My only gripes were firstly that the lunch menu could have varied a bit, my bedroom was much too hot (though the heating wasn't on) and one of my treatment times was changed without my being informed resulting in my sitting in the waiting area for 20 minutes waiting to be called. Apart from these, i really enjoyed my stay and I will definitely be returning in the future

• Liked — the sense of being completely away from the outside world
  • Disliked — the bedroom temperature - install air conditioning please!
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled solo
2 Thank Clare41

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2007

I stayed in the Temple Spa recently on a spa weekend package and I have mixed feelings about this place.
Overall, I found it very relaxing and quiet, ideal if you want a break away on your own. There seemed to be a lot of groups of women there and a few couples and the place is fairly busy.
It was actually my second stay here and I saw that some areas had still not been improved on. For example, the spa area with vitality pool and sauna is a bit lacklustre and there are no refreshments available there such as fruit and bottled water; nor are magazines available although newspapers were plentiful. The cold water shower beside the sauna was broken which kind of ruins the hot/cold sauna experience.
Little welcoming touches make all the difference in a place like this. Temple spa is not 5 star luxury like so many other spas in Ireland right now. Yet, neither can it claim to be a spartan health retreat as many of the guests there were curled up with their wine glasses in the lounge and the activities are designed for people who have little to no experience of exercise.
So, it would be nice to see a library as a previous reviewer mentioned, tea and coffee making facilties would be nice too and communication between reception and guests could be improved. I requested my treatment time be changed and, while it was changed, nobody informed me of this.
The restuarant food is fine but neither particularly healthy nor imaginative. Would have liked other types of breads and grains available and a wider selection of salads. Breakfasts were great though and healthier options on the menu here.

On the plus side, the treatments are lovely and therapists very nice. The place itself is spacious and full of light, the grounds are nice and the lounge is just the spot for relaxing with your book or newspaper.
I did a relaxation class which I found very good, other than that activities are definitely for beginners, but there are bikes and a gym and a nice yoga room I used in the morning.
Temple spa seems to be undecided whether to cater fully for the luxury end of the spa market or whether to set itself up as a health retreat. I hope they improve the facilities there and try and make it a little more welcoming and then it could be a really special place.
Oh, and they should get that heating sorted - those rooms are stuffy!

• Liked — nice views
  • Disliked — drab rooms, stuffy
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ElvaDublin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2007

We spent a weekend in Temple in January and specifically chose this spa as they assured me that they could cater for my nut allergy and that all staff would be made aware of it upon my arrival. When ordering lunch on the Saturday, I went for a salad that did not list nuts as an ingredient on the menu but I decided to mention it to the waiter just to be sure. Half way through my meal, I discovered a nest of walnuts covered in mayonnaise hidden under salad on the side of my plate. I spoke to the waiter and he told me that he ‘forgot’ to tell the chef.

Sunday lunch got even better when my dessert arrived covered in Pistachio nuts. This time the waitress told me that she did tell the chef but he must have forgotten!

The website states that “everything revolves around one simple philosophy: eat healthily, drink wisely and sleep well while the stresses and tensions of your body are attended to.” Displaying no knowledge (and almost a complete disregard) for potentially fatal food allergies goes completely against this philosophy. Management assured me that I would have a written communication from them about this incident within the week. – 6 months on and nothing, which leads me to wonder if they have changed their ways. I also wonder if the products, which I was exposed to during the spa treatments, also contained nut oils?

Other than that the rooms tended to be either too hot or too cold. Also, there were a lot of people there arguing with staff about various problems, which was very distracting in a place that is supposed to be relaxing

• Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank mesker
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2007

We stayed in Temple Spa recently and had a fantastic experience. I know a lot of people who read these reviews and felt it important to put up a positive review following the last two negative ones.

We arrived on a Friday evening and met with the owner at reception. It’s a shame the previous reviewer mistook his shyness for lack of welcome. We were shown to our room which was spacious and had a lovely view over the garden and surrounding trees.

The bedrooms are very comfortable with a couch, armchair and coffee table for relaxing. We were given robes and slippers for use in the vitality pool area and treatment rooms. I had a facial and my husband had a massage and we were both impressed with the treatments and the professionalism of the staff.

The staff were extremely friendly and happy to accommodate any request.

There are no tvs in the bedrooms which I completely agree with, this is somewhere you park your car and forget about the outside world for the time you are there. I would agree that music in the rooms would be good - I mentioned it on my comment card.

We had a very relaxing weekend away. This isn’t a place for everyone but if you are happy to relax as much as possible in the country then this is a great place to dot just that!

• Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank loopieloo
Ras Al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2006

Temple spa is fine for anyone who wants a complete break from the world. The rooms didnt have any tv which is fine but not having anything like a stereo or a radio is a bit too much enforced isolation from the world.
Somewhere like temple is the ideal place to have a small library where you can pick up something to read to pass the time- nope... bring your own.
The reception staff were very nice but the owner could do the spa a big service by staying off the front of house. He is not the most engaging person and definitely not front of house material.
I stayed for several days and asked for gluten free bread - not too big a problem you would think in a spa. It took 2 days to get it. Not very inclusive for those pursuing alternative diets.
The treatments were very nice and the spa staff were very good.
Nice but they seriously need to see how its done in a really good retreat spa.

• Liked — Rooms a good size
  • Disliked — No entertainment in the rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring lots to read
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with friends
1 Thank Msdemeaner
AnRiRua, Marketing manager at Temple Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, 18 December 2006
Hello,

We, and I would estimate almost 100% of our guests over the last 15 years are saddened to see a personal slight, aimed at one of our directors, in this review. The person wronged has enthusiastically given relaxation classes every evening to arriving and departing guests at Temple since day one and continues to be at the heart of Temple's creative and healing centres. The picture that this review offers does not sit easily with the the experience of many people.

It is a great pity that our guest wasn't a little more accommodating of different personality types and then might have been less likely to take offence where none could ever possibly be meant. The very subject matter is foreign to what Temple is all about.

Temple is still the only destination spa in Ireland to be accorded ISO 9001:2000 status and also an ILAM White Flag. Thes honours are not taken lightly and essentially means that every day that we turn up for work, we do our utmost to have our guests feel the most relaxed and renewed that they have ever been. I am sure that many of our guests (and loyal staff) reading this would be confused by this review, as Temple is a place of calm, a wonderful and painstaking creation of the very owners who have been slighted here; and a place where the rush and commonplace rudeness of everyday life is left far behind.

We believe that Temple remains special because of the people involved in it, owners, staff and guests. Countless kind words from the bulk of our guests gives us affirmation that, yes, we do our very best daily to show people how to relax and find some space for themselves. Temple is a passion, born from the creative desires of the respected owners. It is saddening to see such off the cuff carelessness reagrding anothers' reputation.

Respectfully,

Silver Spring, MD
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2006

I had so looked forward to staying at the Temple Country House & Spa, based upon their alluring (and deceptive) website. My anticipation sooned turned to dismay, however, when I actually arrived. Although the common areas were absolutely gorgeous & immaculately clean, the room was uncomfortably hot with only heat, no air conditioning or fan. If you want mirrors, water pressure in your shower, a clock, radio or TV in your room, this is not the hotel for you.

The website touted the "Michelin starred" chef. S/he must have been on vacation when I was. The food was of uneven quality - some dishes delicious, others inedible. Food service was equally uneven, from the friendly and attentive to the invisible. Portions were tiny - I thought this was a vacation, not a fat farm! The very limited menu did not vary during our stay.

Most disappointing, however, were the "fitness" classes and the spa treatments. I was drawn to this country spa because of the yoga classes they supposedly offer. The first "yoga" class taught students how to walk (heel, ball, toe, in case you were wondering). The second class taught breathing and stretching. This is not yoga and this is not a spa for anyone seeking relaxation through healthy activity. Walking tours, rather than being through the gorgeous countryside, were snail's-paced trips on narrow roads, dodging garbage trucks & moving vans. The expensive spa treatments were equally lackluster. Although the staff is quite lovely, the spa services lacked the attention to detail that I have enjoyed at other spas. A 45-minute head massage given on a straight-backed wooden chair - how is that relaxing? Massages were wimpy, facials disappointing, manicures exhorbitant.

As far as we could tell, the steep daily rate goes to paying for the recent 6 million euro renovation touted by management, and not into services that the guests can enjoy. The only guests who seemed to be enjoying themselves were the couch potatoes for whom sitting cross-legged on a yoga mat was a big accomplishment.

Don't waste your money.

• Liked — The view from our room was pretty.
  • Disliked — Classes were a waste of time.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't be fooled by the slick website.
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank ElvisLoveChild
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2006

My daughter and I have just returned from a Spa weekend. We have been to Temple spa before in 2003 and enjoyed it immensely but this new spa is just wonderful, beautiful new building - great design and lovely furniture and fittings. The bedrooms are really big and comfortable. The restaurant is great, plenty of choices and the food is excellent, very well presented and served. We had various spa treatments, each one better than the other, all the staff there are so nice, no sense of being hurried and they have a great range of treatments available - something to suit everyone. Included in the weekend rate are yoga classes, walks, relaxion and posture classes, bikes available too. There is also a gym and vitality pool with sauna and steam room. A great place to relax and unwind. Also plenty of lounges and quiet rooms to just sit down and read. Water, herbal teas, fruit and cookies freely available all day. Very enjoyable stay and we will be back!

6 Thank juliefl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moate
Sheraton Athlone
Athlone Springs Hotel
#9 of 9 in Athlone
Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone
Glasson Country House Hotel & Golf Club

Been to Temple Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!