“Worth the drive”

Good for: Child-friendly
Ottawa, Canada
“Worth the drive”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We usually go to the Asian Legend in North York (Yonge north of Shepherd) but were staying in the area this visit and so went to this one. We are hooked on Asian Legend (I actually hated Chinese food until I tried their fare), and always order a ridiculous amount of take out every single time we're in Toronto, to bring back home to Ottawa and enjoy for days and days. This time, we had the divine soup dumplings and hot and sour soup at the restaurant, and then for take out took the green beans (109), braised eggplant (107), kung pao chicken, chili beef, and a couple of other dishes home with us. Always fresh ingredients, with slightly different flavour profiles each time (the sign that they are not "factory made"), large well designed containers, and we've found that it's always good (once in a while we hit something that isn't quite to our taste, but it's easy to see that someone else would love it. For example, I find lemon chicken a boring waste of time, but we were with friends at the North York restaurant, and their kids adored it. It was well done, lightly breaded, etc). They don't skimp on the flavour-- the amount of garlic or chili or other spices used can be insane (and scrumptious!). We've brought friends and family to the chain (North York one), and they love it too, including a few food snobs. The decor's nice enough but not fancy at all (North York's a bit nicer than Thornhill), and it's family-friendly but you see lots of couples and others there too. The food's so good at this chain, I have actually emailed the restaurant begging them to open one in Ottawa because, well, the Chinese restaurants there produce inedible bland slime (IMO).

• Visited July 2014

Richmond Hill, Canada
“Good but overpriced for Chinese food”
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

I always loved coming here for their lunch deals until I realized they took off sweet & sour fish from their lunch deal menu! That's my favourite item, but if you get it as a dinner dish, it is overpriced for what they give you.

The food is always perfect tasting but small portions for the price they charge. The staff are friendly and speak different dialects of Chinese.

It's a simplistically decorated, open concept restaurant and it is almost always quite loud - like all chinese restaurants.

I recommend going for their lunch deals, which includes a meat/veggie side with rice and soup of the day for about $8 (not including tax or drink).

Actual lunch and dinner menu is rather expensive in my opinion compared to other really tasty Chinese restaurants.

Toronto, Canada
“Just ok”
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Service is good and fast, but for the price you pay there are better restaurants in the area. We tried the Crab with black bean sauce, szechuan beef, curry vermicelli, soup and yang chow fried rice. That is the good thing about this city, there is no shortage of good Chinese restaurants.

Toronto, Canada
“Great food!!!”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Pleasantly surprised. Service was a bit slow, but the inside was decorated nicely. Big tables with lazy Susan's for larger groups. Excellent food. I had the beef with scallions and green beans as a side. My dad ordered noodles with shrimp. Both were excellent. I would return.

• Visited March 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
“Northern Chinese”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I have been working in the Toronto area (Thornhill) and wanted to try Chinese. The area has a big asian population so it is hard to know which restaurant is good. I asked the front desk of my hotel and they recommended Asian Legend. Good choice for food. Spicy and very flavorful. The service was a little slow at the end of the meal, but it may just be me. Clean and not very expensive. I recommend if in the area. Good selection.

• Visited February 2014